Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scott Cruisair 176 + Fritschi FREE RIDE PRO for every occasion

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Lucky to get back to the UK through Gatwick yesterday i couldnt wait to share my views on my ski kit this season.

Our group decided to give La Plagne a try for an early season shake down, the conditions couldnt have been more perfect with a hard packed 1st day followed by snow and more snow !

Me :

6'2"
14 stone
one or two old ski injuries to carry !

Last year i skied 189 Scott Crusade with fixed plate bindings, they were superbly powerful as a big freeride ski but in my opinion failed in other more technical areas of mountain ( a bit like having a heavy oil tanker on each foot !) So after a lot of research I opted for the Scott Cruisair coupled with the Fritschi Free ride Pro binding, the aim was to go for an agile set up i could ski on just about anything and light enough on the back pack when wanting to hike and ride.

I have skied all week on this set up and every day have had the BIGGEST smile on my face as both skis and bindings lived up to my expectations. Coming down a heavily moguled hard packed glacier run the Skis were easy to steer and flick short turns out, further round the mountain in a couloir the made light work of jump turns and the odd bit of defensive skiing, good edge hold on steep and great to kick turn, not once did i find them to be clumsy. Back on piste heading back to resort i very soon forgot i had a tour based set up underneath me, the carved superbly, smashed through crud with very little vibration which i found amazing given just how light the skis are ...... has to be in the construction of the ski carbon / wood / air etc .

The second day we had a couple of inches of fresh settle on top of the crusty old base, heading off into some side country skiing i was very quickly reminded of the difference between my old Crusades to the new Cruisairs, but with a few sessions of reminding my self to change my position slightly further back the Cruisairs soon began to rise up into the fresh top layer enabling me to lay down some big turns on some comfortable 35 - 45 degree slopes. Yes a bigger heavier big mountain ski would deal with this easier but that's not what i was looking for, the flex in this ski still inspired me to be able to push hard and have the confidence to ride hard .... for a ski this size and weight its surprisingly stable. Very Happy

The rest of the week we got more and more snow ending up by friday being waist deep in places of champagne powder ..... the rest of my group all were convinced this would be my down fall as only 90 underfoot and 176 in length on my size and weight would cause problems a lot of mickey taking was going on ! We had to stay resort based for a few hours whilst they avalanche blasted up in the mountain, that was ok as it gave me a chance to feel what the Cruisairs were going to perform like in the deep. a couple of blues and reds knee deep were no problem the shovels at the front 128 each was perfect on keeping the tips a float whilst 118 at the rear was spot on for steering at tempo and speed ..... so far so good .....

The afternoon brought sunshine and all areas opened up, La Plagne being a family resort meant we had nearly all off piste areas to ourselves which was great. We headed up high and decided to ski down from a ridge over in Champagny down through a beautiful young tree plantation. Slightly steeper at the top part we set off, .... whoops straight over on the first turn much to the amusement of the boys .... sank straight in, after a 10 min struggle to get my act together i set of again this time allowing a bit more rear ward lean, i was aware that a dedicated fat ski would be easier but yet again this was not what i was looking for. The combination of a bit more speed, leaning back more than an bigger skis soon had me bouncing down through the young trees with the BIGGEST grin on my face !

The Fritschi Free Ride pro binding as yet has not been unleashed into walk mode as it wasn't that kind if trip, however, spread across the width of the ski felt no different to the free ride plate bindings i have had before, power transfer was great, stepping into them there is a lovely reassuring "click". Sitting up nearly 25mm higher than on plate bindings felt a little strange to begin with, but what i did notice was it was easier to transfer edge to edge which has to be a good thing. They are extremely well constructed and look fantastic when coupled up with the Scott "air " series ski.

So ...... to summarise :

If you are looking for a ski that really does cope with everything the all mountain experience can throw at it you will struggle to find a better package than this, am off to Canada next season and have already put tabs on the 183 Scott Powdairs which as a beefier bigger brother should prove to be an excellent all rounder too ..... they really do what it says on the tin ! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
good review and you clearly enjoyed yourself.

any pics?

i'm surprised Scott don't make this ski in a longer length as i was wondering why you were on such a short ski.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
shoogly wrote:
good review and you clearly enjoyed yourself.

any pics?

i'm surprised Scott don't make this ski in a longer length as i was wondering why you were on such a short ski.
Hi,

as i mentioned i carry various old ski injuries, ligaments, maniscus mainly, one year ago a caught an edge on hard pack in Val'disere , broke my collar bone and damaged both knees so coming down to a shorter lighter ski which should be easier has brought back my confidence tremendously. ( at 48 i dont mend like i used too !) I am also looking forward to some back country tours this season and am slowly building up my kit etc. It was a fabulous chance to see how the shorter narrower touring set up would size up to "all round use"

i was REALLY happy to find as fall line described it to want to go everywhere and they do ! Scott have pulled a blinder with the Cruisair, now cant wait for the 183 Powdair which is a bit more the length i should be on ...... oh and yes i had tremendous fun ! ..... shall put some pics up soon

Chris
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sweet set up, could only be improved in a slightly longer length and with a Marker F12
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just want to add a second thumbs up for the Crusair.. this time as a tele ski. I got mine at the start of last season with NTN bindings, and have done more than 70 days on them so far. Big enough underfoot for powder days, but not too big to be ungainly on hard pack and when it gets bumpy. I like the shorter length and the short radius, it keeps them manoeuvrable in tight terrain like trees and couloirs. Its often not considered, but having a relatively light ski like these for tele makes for quick fore-aft movements which are sluggish and tiring on a heavy pair of powder planks. Probably not the best choice for your Alaska heli-trip or Randonee competition, but a very versatile ski for the kind of variable terrain and snow conditions you get on most trips out in the Alps. My only concern is that they dont appear to be as durable as other skis if you end up using them a lot, which could well be the case!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Interesting - I've gone 178 Missions and Marker Barons as a sort of one ski option - various reviews of the 2011 ski now filtering through on line
http://www.skis.com/docs/scott-mission-skis-2011-video-review-5/ though still have my K2 Mt Bakers / Dynafit.

We're nicking a quick week 15th Jan flying, taking the Missions though can't make up my mind what boots to take, go Downhill or AT.

I know my downhill boots will be very sweet, though I obviously like the idea of my AT boots, but don't want to get out there and find myself questioning as to why I did not take the downhill boots - as I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be doing any touring that week.

Plus I'm getting over a knee ligament strain (have not been able to run for 5 weeks now) so think I'll be taking it easy too.

Decisions, decisions........

Though the van will be loaded with all the toys for March / April !!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
enjoying your views chaps ..... Weathercam if you have damaged knees you need to invest in strong knee braces i ski in them for the same reason and can honestly say they have saved me and enabled my to ski ! Regarding AT boot V Downhill boot ..... I was waiting for the Dynafit Titan to arrive but 2 days before my trip and no sign of them due to being stuck in a Glasgow hub ! 2nd option was to pick up a pair of Dalbello Virus Tours from my local shop SNOWFIT.

Billed as a Freeride tour boot made in PVC, 3 buckle cabrio design with no powerstrap i was worried they would be like skiing in RUBBER BOOTS ! I have to say GLEN PLAKE and DALBELLO have pulled a blinder ! The beautifully crafted Intuition liner, inovative buckles and easy walk mode latch made these boots TRULY a boot that you can do all in ! Rated at around 110 flex they were perfect on moguls, hard pack, piste, powder, trekking, walking to the toilet and dancing on tables ! ( I love them ! )

Chris Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy :
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
chrisedwardsski, now you've really thrown a spanner in the works - I do love my Garmont Axons, plus I have new liners this year after one of mine got torched by a French oven early in the season (of course nothing to do with the Muppet who misread the French oven instructions) - plus I know the hotel we're staying in will probably mean a fair bit of walking to & from after stopping off at various places at the end of the day snowHead

So I'll probably go with the AT boots - though I do reserve the right to change my mind again probably within six hours, and then back again etc etc !

I do have quite a good velcro knee thing that I've used on the other knee which is now ok in the past so will use that - it's only a strain, no tears etc ironically think I did it doing Bikram Yoga (over stretching) not actually during the Yoga but on a run the next day.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
like your style ..... the yoga sounds ace ! Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy