Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help me choose a ski!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello all, I heard this was a good place to ask for ski advice so hear goes:

I'm in my early 40s, 5'7" (1.7m) and 67kg. I don't really get on with the longer stiffer skis that work for heavier people. I've been skiing off and on for 15 years (about 25 weeks total). Last year I did the BASI Level 1 but haven't done much teaching so far. I'm not that aggressive but am quite fit but the main thing is that I want to do some more off piste. I can only get 2-3 weeks a year total always somewhere in Europe at half-term/Easter as kids and work get in the way - should be banned in the winter (work not kids)!

I think what I want is a "mid-fat" ski so I can ski on the piste with the kids who are 8 & 10 now and still enjoy it too. I've been told that skis over 90mm are still good on piste these days? but as I'm quite light I don't know that I need that fat a ski anyway particularly for the mix of skiing I do. I haven't decided on anything so am open to ideas and suggestions please!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Scott Punisher could work, it's only 89mm (I thiink) but soft and really easy to ski. Previous season's K2 Obsethed could work too (pretty soft) but maybe a little fat (although my mate used one for everything over my season in St Anton, including instructor exams without any problems), Kung Fujas maybe worth a look too. I'm struggling to think of anything else that's fairly soft-flexing...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Punisher's were definately soft when I skiied them (gotta admit one of the worst at test though! Just got pushed around by any different terrain...) but could work for you if you like them that way? Just out of interest what do you mean by
Quote:

I don't really get on with the longer stiffer skis

I mean what exactly are you talking about, race skis/piste skis/freeride skis? Just that a stiff twin tip and a stiff gs board aren't exactly the same ting!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
clarky999, I have skied Punishers but wastn overly impressed. the Kung Fujas sound interesting, know how to get them cheaper? wink Any other ideas?

the_doc, not sure what your getting at I'm afraid. It's freeride/all mountain I'm looking to buy, not piste/race skis. I'm nowhere near up to skiing all conditions on a race dept GS ski like some are! What do you mean buy stiff twin tip? I think many proper twin tips are softer and mainly for parks? I suppose what I'm saying is I don't want something that word is slays everything everywhere but only for blokes 15kilos heavier and 15cm taller than me! Cheers for any suggestions.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Check out the atomic Snoops, stiffer than a punisher, Carve incredibly well on piste and 90 odd underfoot so should give ya enough to play with in the pow! Skis incredibly well in my opinion and quite a few others that tested them!

Another one of this seasons that was getting rave reviews on the ski tests was the atomic Access! tip rocker makes it ski really easily but still an absolute dream on piste, only advice would be to ski it long as it is quite rockered!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
dansmith, thanks Snoops duly added to my list to try.

Got to say I'd like to give wider skis like the Access and Obsethed a go. Just a bit worried they will be toughter to ski on piste with no extra benefit due to my lightweightedness...

Any other skis like this I should try out? anyone know if somewhere like Hemel Snowcentre has skis like this to try?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I ski salomon lady's. Ok on piste, and brilliant fun in the deep stuff. Semi twin tip too, if you fancy a dabble. The mens version is the Salomon Lord. Maybe worth a look Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tordi, thnks for your suggestion, I haven't skied Lords, could be worth trying out too.

Anyone know how Kung Fujas, Snoops and Lords compare?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I would of thought Armada ARV's woukld be right up your street...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
aw-hicks, thanks, armada does sound v.good from web reviews

So list so far
K2 Kung Fujas
Atomic Snoops
Armada ARV
maybe Salomon Lords, Atomic Access, K2 Obsethed
might try out new Scott Mission
Other skis I have heard mentioned are Liberty Hazmat, High Society Freeride, anyone know about them?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy