Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

who skied on skis > 120mm width last season?

Poster: A snowHead
Just wondering, and if so what did you ski on, how often and where...

Cheers,

Greg
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
120mm at the tip, tail or underfoot? NehNeh
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kitenski, Redeemers, 3 valleys, probably about 5 days, but only got them near the end of the season.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't think I skied any days last year on >120mm skis. Wait, maybe two. This survey is a bit odd. Don't you need to know how many days people skied total and if they're actually capable of skiing off the groomers?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
K2 Hellbents, 122mm underfoot, Italy, 1 week, used them everyday, even on piste.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski, and surely the subsidiary question is, "and why?"
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Had a shot on some Amplid Cholesterones. Great fun, perform better on piste than my gotamas aswell. Enjoyed them, still preferred my Goats though. Also had a go on the Infradark or Infrablack, not sure on the name, in a 195 length (I think), not sure they were that big underfoot but they were great when they got shifting, just really hard work in the tighter trees! I could happily ski the Cholesterone for every powder day, even when there isnt a lot, which is what I did on my Gotama anyways, they spent around 21 days out last season, every powder day going unless I was teaching. Oh and where, would be Chatel (pre la joux mostly) in the PDS.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Skied Volkl Chopsticks all last season, in Fernie, CA. They were amazing. but a bit wobbly on hard ice. Other than that, recommended.!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
roga wrote:
120mm at the tip, tail or underfoot? NehNeh

Underfoot

under a new name cos I am thinking of getting a pair

DaveC yeh good point Wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski,
Quote:

cos I am thinking of getting a pair

whatever... Twisted Evil
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Redeemers. 3 days (only got them late in the season). Where? Austria - trees in the 'enormous' hill that is Eben, short hikes nearby. Conditions were heavy pow off piste and late season slush on piste. Had a lot of fun.

My only general comment on big skis is that, with an awful lot of wood to lug around on your feet, if you're unfit, you get tired easily. This I know from experience.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
zammo, cheers, are you a UK skier, whose out in the Alps for holidays as opposed to living out there? What kind of skis have you had before?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski,

Only a few years ago people were saying skis such as the Rossi Bandit XX / B2 were great for 50/50 Piste/Offpiste. My advice would be just strap two snowboards to your feet and have done with it. Wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
High Society Freeride 186W; 122mm.

For about a week and a half in Japan - loads of new snow, chopped powder, trees etc. As they're the fat cousin of the standard HSFR 187 (which I have) their manners were very similar and so I got used to them by the second run.

No rocker, normal camber; so great lairy GS turns on piste were fun and doable.

Just make sure those 140 tails will fit into your backpack carry system though. They did in mine - just!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes about 15 days - pow days, days after, set up untracked, wet slop(rain) and corn. Not daily driver however.
ski holidays
I'm amazed that Brits who don't live near ski resorts are considering 120mm+ waisted skis unless the hassle of carrying skis and money is no object. If they don't ski many days a year in resorts that see a lot of powder I can't see it being more cost effective than renting. Renting does have it's problems (e.g. Certain skis aren't available esp on powder days or in smaller resorts) but at least you get to try many different skis.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 13-09-10 12:33; edited 1 time in total
latest report
DB, well this Brit likes to go to tiny places off the beaten track that often don't hire fat skis + I also want touring bindings on them.

Hassle of carrying one extra pair of skis without bindings is minimal for me, and probably driving out at least twice this year....

Remember off piste is more often than not powder, it can be lovely spring snow or more often chopped up crud and slush, both of which a good off piste ski will help with!
snow report
kitenski,

Hey don't move the goal posts - I was talking more of your 'average' Brit who flys out and doesn't go touring.

120mm waisted skis are going to be heavy (unless you go super expensive carbon) for a touring ski. Anything more than an hour skin up and you probably won't be in any condition to ski. Wink

I'm touring here in Austria many weekends during the winter so know what offpiste is about. For allround conditions offpiste conditions ski tourers tend to be on 75-95 waisted skis*

*Depending on skiers weight and conditions.

PS Some of large sports chains (e.g. Eybl) offer touring skis to rent and the selection is getting wider.
snow report
DB, I consider myself non-average Wink

to be honest I prob wouldn't skin on 120mm skis and I'd only really ever do slackcountry, I'd use my 92mm skis for them, however using the inserts means I wouldn't need to carry 2xpairs of bindings around!!
latest report
kitenski,

I consider myself "not-normal" too Wink

Does anybody tour on 120mm waisted skis? so why do people put touring bindings on them? do they even have skins for a 120mm waisted ski? ..... the list goes on. How many bottomless days does the "normal" Brit see anyway? I think the answer could be "marketing" and TGR. Wink Toofy Grin

For people who ski a lot (e.g living in resort) I can see the point as a pair of skis in the quiver for those bottomless days but for Harry from Swindon (probably an SUV driver) who just darts in and out of the bits between the piste then 120mm might be a tad overkill. Buying and then lugging around an extra large pair of skis through Luton airport on the off-chance La Rosiere sees a week of bottomless so you can put in can a few turns inbetween the pistes can only be good for Ryanair. After all that some %&/%&$§$"%!!!! local whizzes past on a pair of ex-rental 2003 Fischer RC race skis (the green ones). When will people start to understand that in sport it's not the tool but how you use it (and how many sport enhancing drugs you've had) that makes the difference Wink
snow report
DB wrote:
How many bottomless days does the "normal" Brit see anyway?

Obviously more if you're on fatter skis. Cool
latest report
DB wrote:

Does anybody tour on 120mm waisted skis? so why do people put touring bindings on them? do they even have skins for a 120mm waisted ski? ..... the list goes on. How many bottomless days does the "normal" Brit see anyway? I think the answer could be "marketing" and TGR. Wink Toofy Grin

Certainly right but people asking this question aren't normal Brits. If so they'd be asking which hire shop has the cheapest price and how far is chalet X from the lifts and comparing notes on which resto is best for lunch. Nothing wrong with any of that of course.

The TGR crew do tour & slackcountry (probably what most of us would look to use them for in Europe) on some very wide stuff, but having sepnt some time in the Sierra I understand why. The vert just isn't the same as in Europe and therefore you're far more likely to get consistent conditions top to bottom. Touring in the European full day or hut to hut sense probably isn't an appropriate application.

As to carrying a quiver, I like my funshapes so much I'm probably dropping my snowboard from my travel kit (and who needs more than one pair of evening clothes anyway?)

PS I've noticed the never ending stream of threads from kitenski on this topic elsewhere this might be received as trolling but her I think he just needs some help to MTFU wink
snow report
DB, but I think your missing the point (well my point anyhow).

Given bottomless champagne powder and my skill level, any ski >90mm is going to be fine.

However in the real world of crappy offpiste, whatever makes my life easier is good news to me, my assumption is that a phat pair will make my life easier in crud, heavy porridge etc etc
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:
PS I've noticed the never ending stream of threads from kitenski on this topic elsewhere this might be received as trolling but her I think he just needs some help to MTFU wink

I think I just need a nudge in the right direction, 2 options appear to be go 110mm width and sell the 92mm High Society Freerides, or get a more off piste 120mm ski as a 2nd more off piste orientated ski, with the inserts to move bindings around and keep weight down.

BTW I am a He, not a Her
snow conditions
DB wrote:
After all that some %&/%&$§$"%!!!! local whizzes past on a pair of ex-rental 2003 Fischer RC race skis (the green ones).

Current race Fischer skis with the holes in the tips are even better for this.
snow report
kitenski,
Always thought crud was more about technique, ski stiffness in relation to skier weight (so it doesn't get chucked about) and less sidecut so it doesn't hook up so much. If 90mm is ample for powder it might be that a different type of ca 90mm waisted ski would be better for you. How much do you weigh?
snow report
DB wrote:
kitenski,
Always thought crud was more about ski stiffness in relation to skier weight (so it doesn't get chucked about) and less sidecut so it doesn't hook up so much. If 90mm is ample for powder it might be that a different type of ca 90mm waisted ski would be better for you. How much do you weigh?

12st 7lbs at the last weigh in....but that is also where rocker is slated to help as well....then you get into camber, rocker, length, width as well as stiffness, and some skis appear to be stiffer under foot and not so much in the tip.tail
ski holidays
DB, just a couple of points; you can usually sneak two pairs of skis in your bag and still come in under the baggage allowance, renting is becoming very expensive and I wouldn't have thought that too many shops have really wide skis.

Don't you have a powder day ski then?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski,

The best crud busting skis I tried were skis such as the Head i.Peak 88 / Head IM88 and Volkl Mantra. Haven't tried any rockered skis yet but can't work out why the rocker makes it easier in crud.

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/blog/index/view/slug/how-rocker-affects-ski-length

I'd say a stiffer ski, perhaps with less sidecut would be another option to 120mm+ waist. Only you will know which skis put the biggest smile on your face after you try em.
latest report
DB, I think that link gives some clues Wink

Quote:
The resulting early-rise tip allows you to float easily over powder and crud, and drive the ski more aggressively in soft snow conditions—much like you would on-piste—without worrying about over-flexing the tip. Rocker makes turn initiation smooth and effortless in soft snow, and allows the ski to change direction far more quickly than traditional camber designs.

and

Quote:
The beauty of rocker is that it also can help on firm snow. Due to the early rise tip, the ski has a shorter contact length because the longer tip is raised off the ground
latest report
kitenski,

What's easier - floating over crud or blasting through it?
What do your current skis do float or blast?
snow report
kitenski, DB,
Quote:

Or could it be a combination of both?

I have spent quite a bit of time on the Flyswatter and the new Super Turbo, the Flyswatter is soft with huge tip and tail rise but just standard camber underfoot, its OK in crud even with a 125 underfoot and better than my noraml 94mm medium flex they tend to try and float over crud.

On the other side there is the Super Turbo with a very very ear;ly tip rise but not as much in the tail, and reverse camber underfoot, they are the best I have come across so far for crud bashing and they come in 202cm Madeye-Smiley

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 13-09-10 16:12; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
DB wrote:
kitenski,

What do your current skis do float or blast?

I would assume float is easier, but it would depend, if its rock solid you'd want it knocking out of the way, my current ones would blast thru or float, depending on speed, weight of snow etc etc
snow report
kitenski,

If you get properly off piste, away from the slopes, always looking for the untracked stuff, happy to stick skis on back and hike up, ready to use the skins when it hasn't snowed for a while.... If that's you, you'll aways find untracked/lightly tracked stuff where a proper rockered ski will rule.

If you're between the pistes, following other tracks, usually find yourself in the tracked out lumpy cruddy stuff that quickly gets mogulled then you probably want something better on a hard base, stiffer underfoot. Follow whatever these 1 ski quiver guys are telling you to get.

I've never understood the theory about needing bottomles pow to get the best out of fat rockers. I wonder if the guys telling you that have ever actually skied them...?

Here is 1st weekend December - remember fatties don't sink so deep so you touch fewer rocks even in 10cm of fresh
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=58169&highlight=

This is an hour long tour - I attest touring on big skis is hard work but it's quite possible and for the down they were great - pow, crust, heavy mank at the bottom. Easy.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1461968&highlight=verbier#1461968

This is a 40 degree couloir with a hard base. No means ideal conditions for Fat rockers but no problem either and for the rest of the day they simply ROCKED
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=61513

By no means exclusively deep pow here but on every one of these days I know which skier had the most fun. Proper rockers are a different experience - just more fun. I've skied for many years on many skis and last year was my favourite - the big rockers were the main reason for that.
snow report
Mosha Marc wrote:
DB, just a couple of points; you can usually sneak two pairs of skis in your bag and still come in under the baggage allowance, renting is becoming very expensive and I wouldn't have thought that too many shops have really wide skis.

Yes I realize esp. with inserts that this is possible. In terms of ski availability it depends which resort you go to. (e.g. St Anton in Austria has a large selection of offpiste skis). Before I shelled out for a 120mm+ ski I'd want to test it first to make sure it really made a difference.

Mosha Marc wrote:
Don't you have a powder day ski then?

Yes but most of my skiing is ski touring these days and my powder skis are pretty trashed with alpine bindings on so don't use them much these days. Have thought about going up from 76mm to 90mm waist for deep snow day ski but beyond that would be too much width and weight for day tours. Back in the day I used to buy a new pair of skis almost every year but now prefer to improve my technique (plenty of scope there) rather than relying on a selection of skis for different conditions.
latest report
BobinCH, all of that, depending on conditions !!

On the reckoning that a pic/video is better than a thousand words, look at these and let me know what skis would benefit me most.....

This was a good few days 2 seasons ago now, I am the one with a black jacket and grey pants on 89mm Scott Missions, the 2 guys in yellow are on 115(??) Nomads....

http://www.youtube.com/pocketpcsoft#p/a/u/2/T-jfTjuAeuM

This was off around Courchevel around Easter, I am in the light jacket with orange arms!

http://www.youtube.com/pocketpcsoft#p/u/13/fFdvQwlFDIM

This was 2008 I think, same jacket as above

http://www.youtube.com/pocketpcsoft#p/u/10/7Zk9eaD96lg
snow report
DB, I bought new touring skis for the PdG last year - Head Crusairs (90mm waist) with Dynafits. Worth a look if you're prepared to go to 90mm. 1600g per ski (176) - got some carbon in them so quite stiff but still lightish. I bought them for long tours and steeps.
snow report
Revers camber / rocker skis - it's cheating Wink
http://www.tetonat.com/2009/07/is-skiing-reverse-camberrocker-tips-skis-cheating/

kitenski,
The discussion seems to of moved on from ski width of 120mm+ to rocker.
So whatabout a 90mm rockered fairly stiff ski. ?
latest report
DB, if I was going to stick around 90mm I was thinking I would just keep my current pair.....but that is an option!

My head says stick with what I've got, but new gear syndrome is saying get something to make your life easier in less than perfect conditions....

and there ain't many places to test in the UK, and I can't see the point of taking such a ski into a fridge!!
snow conditions
BobinCH wrote:
DB, I bought new touring skis for the PdG last year - Head Crusairs (90mm waist) with Dynafits. Worth a look if you're prepared to go to 90mm. 1600g per ski (176) - got some carbon in them so quite stiff but still lightish. I bought them for long tours and steeps.

Thanks they are on the list I just need to bite the bullet and fork out for new touring boots with dynafits, new dynafit bindings and a pair of skis. At least now I could put inserts in my old touring skis (rock skis - for when conditions aren't that great) and only buy one pair of bindings.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy