Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salomon Lady v Volkl Mantra - what to buy, what to buy..?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All - would love some advice on the ever consuming ski purchase dilemna.
I'm an advanced woman skier - I prefer to ski off piste pretty much all of the time. However guess I've gotta be realistic that the powder isn't always falling and have to hit the piste and crud occasionally! Loved skiing the Salomon Geisha this season (hated the Scott Rosa - too soft) and the Volkl Aura last season - feel that the Aura is a little more stable back on the piste but at 164 is maybe a little short when hitting the hardpacked (am 169 tall and 59kgs). Soo am thinking should I be sensible and buy an all round ski like the Salomon Ladys (altho haven't yet tried them out yet) or give in to my love of fatter skiis and go for the Volkl Manta (male version of the Auras) which are available at 170 - a better height for me but just not sure how I'd cope with the Mantra it being a male ski an all.
Any feedback gratefully appeciated!!
(and no, sadly, 2 skiis are not an option )
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Puderjagdhund, welkomen to snowHead

If you found the Rosa to soft I suspect you would crush the Lady. Don't be shy of the Mantra.

Will you get to demo before you buy? You could easily get to something like a Salomon Shogun, 97mm underfoot at 164cm, so although slightly fatter than a Mantra more forgiving. Pretty good on piste and awesome off piste. The 173cm is a bigger ski and might not work for you, see below!

If you can't demo get the Mantra and some Voltaren gel. Easy. Wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Puderjagdhund, I've been skiing Mantras for a couple of years now. Fantastic ski, especially in the stuff you usually find off piste in Europe, i.e chewed up old powder / broken crud. It's also completely useable as a piste ski for high speed cruising with the small proviso that I find I get some edge chatter when trying to steer turns on ice. I would definitely give them a try!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You can get the Aura in 170cm
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks guys - sounds like I should try & demo the Mantras when am out in Switzerland next week or try and track down some 170 Auras.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Puderjagdhund, Ebay.de had lots of Auras the last time I looked
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Puderjagdhund, I bought my wife a pair of Ladies and had a quick run out on them (in the middle of a storm - so near zero viz!) and they felt pretty soft to me - but I'm about 80kg togged up.

I ski Volkl Karma's and have found them an excellent all round ski.

What's the Mantra billed as in the Volkl range ? I need to change my Karma's at some point and I'm not sure what the replacement is.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
david@mediacopy, I tried some Volkl 2011 skis the other weekend and they had a new model, the Kendo which I thought was pretty Karma like. Pretty similar dims and feel but not a twin tip. I also tried the Mantra and really liked it but it is a bit fatter than the Karma, not really sure if its much stiffer though, I skied them both in very forgiving spring snow so review bound to be a bit biased. I have the Bridge which is often billed as the replacement for the Karma but I find it much more of a soft snow ski than the Karma, I still like it though Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
lynseyf, Cheers. It's a tricky one. As much as I'd like to spend all my time skiing 'powder' the reality is I spend a reasonable amount of time on piste too and like to ski fast. I'll see if I can try a few out, but that's usually easier said than done..
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Puderjagdhund, Have never heard a bad word about the Mantras from anyone. Ladys are not bad but can be a little soft if you are more aggresive
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
david@mediacopy, The Kendo seemed like it would be a really nice ski in a lot of situations.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Puderjagdhund, my other half is looking to get something wider than her Stormrider XLs and has driven the Armada JJs which she loved but felt they were too one-dimensional when there was not much deep snow about, she also skied the Mantras in Lech last month, in all kinds of conditions and was sold on them... That said, she has been told to try the Volkl Kiku which is the female version of the Mantra, designed with a woman's conformation in mind, which would make it the logical choice I think. She is very strong skier, although slight, and has little trouble with the Stockli (164) or her Aztec Pro (175) and would be looking at a 170-ish Kiku if we can find a pair.

It is also worth having a look at the Stockli Rotor 106 which I have just bought - softer than trad Stocklis but loads of ski underfoot (106mm) and plenty of sidecut for the pistes as well...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The kiku is the womens version of the gotama, the aura is the female mantra. Not every woman prefers female specific skis as well so maybe worth demoing before she buys if she already loved the mantra?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lynseyf, useful, thanks...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy