Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boots after a broken ankle

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello All,
I broke my ankle in 4 places (plus the fib and ruptured the ligaments) last May resulting in it being pinned and plated. I've been doing a lot of sport since and have got a fair amount of mobility and strength back. Now I'm considering getting some new ski boots profesionally fitted as I anticipate I'm going to struggle when I get back on the snow( in 2 weeks). Should I wait longer in order to maybe get some more strength back before getting some new boots?

If I had a pair of boots fitted I assume that new orthotics would keep correcting any "improvement"- if there was any that is?
All advice welcome.

Cheers.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Crell, welcome to the mad house.

the most important thing is to get the boot imn the correct size and shape for your foot then work out the way
1 a good orthotic footbed will give your foot stability and stop any twisting inside the boot, this will help to protect the injury site form further damage, give you more comfort and better performance if you want it
2 if there are protruding points from any pins or plates then a custom liner of some type may be a great advantage to you, unless you have major problems i would probably avoid foam injection liners (although there will be a camp who says they are the only way to go) i would probably use a thermo form liner as it will be softer on the injury site and will conform to the rest of the foot well
3 there is the likelyhood that you may need to have the shells of the boots modified as well, this is not something to be scared of, just make sure the place you get fitted has the tools to do the job properly, there are loads of shops out there with no tools to modify boots

as for timing, if there is likely to be change in terms of ankle shape/swelling etc then i would wait to get your boots until this has settled completely, although i would hope it has settled by now, strength is not a major concern in terms of fitting however range of motion is, if you have limited but increasing flexion then again it may be worth waiting and working on stretching the area

as for timing, this point in the season is probably not the best tiem to be buying ski boots unless you get lucky with a large selection of boots being availble, this will depend on the store and the size of your feet, the end of the season is near so beware of "fitters" selling you waht they have left in stock rather than what will work best for your foot

lastly good luck getting back to skiing
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Crell, Welcome to snowheads
If I was you I would go to a proffesional boot fitter and get him to have a look asap.
Give Colin a call at www.solutions4feet.co.uk and hopefully you can get an appointment before you are off on yur ski hols.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Crell, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead In case you didn't spot it, the link given by Boredsurfing is also in the preceding poster's sig. In other words, Colin and CEM are one and the same. And wonderful with it! I'm one of many happy customers.

Good luck with the skiing and continued rehabilitation.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Crell, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead that injury sounds very sore...... If Colin can't sort you out, nobody can. Good luck with it all.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Crell, definitely go to Bicester and see Colin (CEM). I broke & dislocated my ankle a number of years ago and had it plated. I've been left also with a chip off the bone on the point of the sticky-out bit and it was pretty uncomfortable in a ski boot. Colin put in some new footbeds, some inserts between the shell and liner to hold my heels more firmly and also a "doughnut" around the ankle bone plus some heel lifts to compensate for my reduced flex. Magic! Now the only complaints from my ankle are when I take my ski boots OFF as it's supported in such a good posture in them snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi Crell,

I broke my anke mountain biking 2 yrs ago.

It has taken much if that time for the swelling to go down. If your damaged ankle is a good deal more swollen than the better ankle you may want to get medical advice as to how long it will take to subside.

Although I still feel my ankle when I try to sprint, I'm barely aware of it when i ski - good luck -I'm sure you'll do great!

Andy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all the replies. Funnily enough Andy I broke mine mountain biking as well. It was a pretty "special" injury and I had to wait over a week in hospital before they could operate because of the swelling. I was back on the turbo within two weeks of the cast coming off which I think helped me get movement back sooner - as well as the endless heel lifts and excercises I was doing. It's amazing how good your body is at telling you when you're overdoing it - particularly the swelling and staple popping Smile . Despite my best efforts to go at it like a bull at a gate it's fine on the bike now, bar the occasional twinge but running is still not great.

The ankle isn't swollen anymore so I'm now acutely aware of the metalwork (particularly when it takes a knock). Having had the likes of blistered shins before I don't really relish the notion of metalwork poping out through my skin particularly. I have worn my old boots which were a nightmare to get on - but I still had some swelling at that time. They were also incredibly painful which just makes me want to do everything I can to avoid wasting the forthcoming trip.

Butterfly - that's the kind of outcome I'm hoping for so fingers crossed!

Colin, thanks for the detailed reply, much appreciated. I have lurked on here for a while so it was a toss up between yourself or lockwoods (which is closer to me) but I'll give you a call this morning to see if / when you could fit me in. (Ideally this Bank Hol weekend...assuming you're open!)

Cheers!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy