Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chair falls of cable in Austria

Poster: A snowHead
This maybe old news for many of you, but I couldn't see any reports about this already on snowheads.
Maybe I've overlooked it on here... or maybe it's been kept very quiet...

I heard about this whilst in Zermatt last week from our chalet host...

From Yahoo news:

Saturday February 26 04:13 PM
A four-person chair from a ski lift lies in the snow on Axamer Lizum mountain near Innsbruck, Austria, on Saturday, Feb. 26, 2005, after it crashed to the snowy slope. Four people were injured in the accident and 120 had to be rescued from the lift. (AP Photo/Georg Koechler)

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
OUCH! I have been on that lift
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
me too
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
let's hope my g/f doesn't hear about this - i always have to tell her to stop worrying every time we go on a chairlift... Shocked

(I adopt the "it'll never happen to me" approach, my g/f adopts the "1 in a million chance is no good if you are that 1" approach)
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Crikey,
I keep telling my g/f that this sort of thing just doesn't happen..............
Now I've got to tell a lie Embarassed or she won't get on one again
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I heard about this while in Austria last week. The local concensus in the resort I was in said it was very, very rare and that the mechanism failed on one chair. I think its amazing that no-one was killed, they fell 10 metres I think. It did cross my mind whilst dangling several hundred feet up in the Penken cable car in Mayrhofen once or twice though.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I do wish that people wouldn't put these stories on the site, it took me weeks to get back to being calm in cable cars after hearing about the Grande Motte in Tignes, now I'm going to have to pluck up my courage for chairlifts again.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I bet every snowhead has at some stage has gazed wonderingly at the thin metal arm that connects the chair to the wire and considered what would happen if the metal were to g.......aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kramer, agreed! I haven't been anywhere near my GP since the Shipman case.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
hayley t, they would say that, wouldn't they? I think it's all down to fat b@astards on lifts. Ban 'em!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Damn - I wish I hadn't looked at this thread! Since missing the Grand Motte incident by a couple of minutes I've been much more nervous of uphill transport than I ever used to be (I'm really not very good with heights). Errant chairlifts feature in too many of my nightmares, but up until now I thought this was impossible...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It certainly wasn't the uplifting experience imagined! I do hope those involved were not badly injured. It seems fortunate that the car appears to have fallen at the pylon, which is more often than not, the shortest distance to fall. Have there been any further reports on cause? It seems unclear from the photograph, if the car, including the arm was dismounted from the cable. The car appears to have landed on it's back, so the arm may be covered in snow. It would be interesting to know if it was a mechanical failure, or 'Occupant Error', i.e. swinging the car.Tim Brown, That's drastic!! But I imagine GP withdrawal symptoms are easing waiting times!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Some bloke got knocked over crossing a road I once crossed, I'm a bit nervous crossing roads now. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bernard Condon, I don't think it's a coincidence that it fell off at the pylon. I'd guess it didn't reattach to the cable properly and fell off as it bounced over the pullies.

Note To Self: don't swing the chairs Shocked
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skanky, 150 people died getting out of bed in the UK last year, too. Why take the risk I say!
snow conditions
Tim Brown, GP's are best avoided at all times.
snow conditions
Kramer, I sleep with mine (not that she's my registered GP, you understand).
snow report
laundryman, Where do you get these prescriptions???
ski holidays
Bernard Condon, in the reversal of the usual practice, I was referred to said GP by a consultant Very Happy
ski holidays
Well, I know tat fear is irrational, but just try to think about how much more dangerous the drive to the hill was than actually getting on the lift. Infact, I'll bet the fried lodge food for lunch is more likely to kill you than the lift Smile
latest report
laundryman, that's high quality care.
snow report
hayley t wrote:
I heard about this while in Austria last week. The local concensus in the resort I was in said it was very, very rare and that the mechanism failed on one chair. I think its amazing that no-one was killed, they fell 10 metres I think. It did cross my mind whilst dangling several hundred feet up in the Penken cable car in Mayrhofen once or twice though.

It's really fun to do that one when the wind suddenly picks up! Skullie One poor lad (early twenties) sat down on the floor and started to cry for his mum - we/I was too scared to say anything, but I nearly broke my husbands hand I was holding it so tightly!'
latest report
Lorraine Agass, Shocked fortunately we didn't have too much wind. My friend (although he wouldn't admit it) buried his head in his hands and wept the whole way up the first time! But it was a different story on the Hintertux glacier - that was very windy and it stopped very suddenly twice on the second leg so we had a few bouncy moments. That was my one and only trip on that gondola!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy