Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort Advice for Adventurous Intermediates

Poster: A snowHead
Hello snowHead

(apologies in advance this thread is a little long by my standards)

The OH and I have flights booked - this Saturday 9th Jan - to Grenoble (arrive around midday), and are now looking for a last min deal on accom.

I've compiled a shortlift of places that Im considering and would like any advice or comments you might have.

Our ideal resort would have:

- challenging runs (we are comfortable on most reds)
- some tree runs
- ski to door
- close to lifts
- resonable transfer time/cost (3 hours max?)

...thats it really!

We arent so bothered about night life (but perhaps a rowdy resort would have quieter slopes in the morning?) or non-skiing activities, as we ski hard and then...sleep. Leaning towards a catered chalet but would consider self-catering.

The short list:

Les 2 Alpes:
Pros
- short transfer
- huge vertical
- south facing for sun
- couple of extras on ski pass (night skiing, swimming etc)
Cons
- narrow ski area
- limited (or no) tree skiing
- not many red runs

Alpe D’Huez:
Pros
- Reasonable transfer (2hrs?)
- South facing for sun
- Huge vertical
- Some tree lined runs?
- a days skiing in other resorts (could escape bad weather?) plus ice skating and night skiing with lift pass
Cons
- few tree lined runs
- challenging runs up top can be closed in high winds
- slow/old lifts?

Serre Che:
Pros
- diff weather pattern to l2a and adh
- lift pass covering a day in other areas
- lots of tree lined runs
- north facing slopes to hold snow
- plenty red runs
Cons
- longer transfer from Grenoble?
- Slow/old lifts?

Les Arcs:
Pros
- big area
- varied terrain
- tree lined runs
- purpose built
- train to bourg for ammenties
Cons
- longer transfer
- mostly apartments

I shouldnt ramble too much more. Looking at the snow reports all areas have had recent dumps. Im not sure how much I trust snow forecasts at this stage. My only other thought is getting out of London on Saturday but I guess thats for another thread!

Any advice appreciated snowHead

Thanks

Skola
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bearig in mind you are going to Grenoble, and want some tree runs, your main choice is Serre Chevalier. It's been a while since I went there, but I don't remember the lift system being too decrepit. And I wouldn't have thought the transfer from Grenoble was all that much greater than to Les Deux Alpes or Alpe D'Huez.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Skola, GLENCOE -it is practically in your back garden - best snow for years, some amazing malts at your disposal and no jet lag Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
2Alpes
- isn't predominantly south-facing
- has plenty of red runs
- narrow ski area? Puzzled

Alpe d'Huez
- has very few old slow lifts (struggling to think of any, really)
- isn't often closed at the top

Serre Chevalier
- has had the same weather as the above resorts so far this season

Transfer times by car would be a bit over an hour for Alpe d'Huez/2Alpes or two hours plus for Serre Chevalier.

In fact, any of those three resorts would suit you and all three offer the option of skiing the other Grande Galaxie resorts if you buy a pass for six days or more. You get two days in 2Alpes/Alpe d-Huez and one each in Serre Chevalier, Montgenevre, Sestriere and Puy St Vincent. THere is regular transport between Alpe d'Huez/2Alpes and between Briançon/Montgenevre, but to go anywhere else you'll need a car.

Out of interest, why the obsession with trees?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 6-01-10 7:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
achilles, I see, thanks. I doubt the lifts are that bad but...well it was the only negative mentioned!

snowbandit, I know about Glencoe snowHead I day trip there as its only about 2 hours from me!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowbandit wrote:
Skola, GLENCOE -it is practically in your back garden - best snow for years, some amazing malts at your disposal and no jet lag Very Happy

I don't think todays snow report from Glencoe would make me want to ski there. 5 lifts open out of 7. They can't even take a credit card Puzzled

http://www.glencoemountain.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=219&Itemid=97
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stewart woodward wrote:
I don't think todays snow report from Glencoe would make me want to ski there.

My very 1st time on skis was in Glencoe (70's). Skiing in Scotland almost put me off skiing for life.

PS.
Hi Stewart, how ya and Mrs Stewart doin - I watched CNN this morning and I see the UK has had a couple of inches of snow and (again) has come to a stop Toofy Grin
Have you got the same flat as last year ? - am over your way soon for some training with EmmaCA, see ya soon.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi Wayne,

Give me a call when you are here & we will go for a blast.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stewart woodward,
At the moment - I live therefore I snowplough.
Oh yeah. Going to ask BASI to change the CT. You would not believe the positions people get into (not in my manual)

Ha Ha Ha taken 2 days ago
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Skola,
Don't think busy slopes will be a probelm early Jan in any resort.

Serre Che only has one bit where the lifts are a bit of a nuisance by and large they are good. From your requirements the main down side is that a lot of the accomodation is a bit of a walk to and from the lifts though some is slopeside.
Costs will robably be less ttan the other resorts particularly Les Arcs.
If you are renting a car and want to ski other resorts personally I think Serre CHe is the best option as itis most centrally placed for a variety of other resorts.

Don't think Glencoe has particularly amazing snow at present, the East has had the bulk of the snow. I have just returned form a break in the Western Highlands and though it was cold and icy with some snow depths weren't great. Driving past Glencoe the bottom runs didn't look open and I doubt all the higher ones were great. Friends who live in Aviemore confirmed that conditions there were just sensational though.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My overriding memory of Serre Che is a surfeit of unpleasantly long drag lifts. Is that accurate? It was 5+ years ago now.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
T Bar, Les Deux Alpes is quite a good centre - a sort of hub between Alpe D'Huez and Serre Chevalier. Not an expensive resort by French standards. And of course you may well meet up with easiski in the Lutins after skiing - and possibly come across Lizzard (though, sadly, I have never met up with her).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Breif reply as I'm at work on my mobile

No obsession with trees lol just under the impression that they are good for poor vis/high wind says...plus good fun and look nice too!

Won't be hiring a car as I've only been driving since august

Some of my info is inaccurate? Exactly why I posted here! Thanks snowHead I'll be back this afternoon with a more detailled reponse.

Thanks all
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am an adventurous intermediate and I have had two great weeks in ADH, plenty of challenging runs, some tree lined (Fare & bottom of Sarenne), good mountain restaurants. Easy transfer from Grenoble (probably less than two hours in reality). I noticed LastMinute.com were doing some very good deals on Hotel Ours Blanc last week. IMO if you havn't done ADH before you would enjoy it as much as the Three Valleys.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I seem recall Easiski mentioning some other resorts (smaller?) from Grenoble, perhpas the other side of the mountain range
latest report
There are quite a few small resorts in the Vercors if you fancy something different yet close to Grenoble.
snow report
Yoda, thanks, but as this is my once a year trip Id like to visit a big mountain. Also we have some small hills in scotland

David yacht - cool! I did courchevel last year (la tania) and it was my first holiday and a dream come true! I quite fancy ADH actually and I'm sure the OH would be happy as she hates long air conditioned coach rides (she's a singer and the dry air isn't good for her throat)

Hmm I have come across a little tree crazy - how important would others rate them? I only mention them as I've said for shelter and because of the fun I had between them above la tania

Also, no one has mentioned les arcs? It appears to be 3hours/100 euros for acoach transfer which is pushing it but the areas looks ace. Not ideal from grenoble? Its agbus transfer which I've heard mixed reviews about
snow conditions
paulio,
Quote:

My overriding memory of Serre Che is a surfeit of unpleasantly long drag lifts. Is that accurate? It was 5+ years ago now.

Not really accurate, the majority have been replaced with high speed chairs. The Frejus sector has a couple of drags which can be a pain as well as a slow chair but most skiing is done via high speed lifts elsewhere.

achilles,
Quote:

T Bar, Les Deux Alpes is quite a good centre - a sort of hub between Alpe D'Huez and Serre Chevalier.

For those three L2A is probably best placed but if you want to try the rest of the Grand Galaxie (Milky way and PSV) Serre CHe is better positioned and gives you good acess to L"A and La Grave though A d'H is a bit futher flung.
Having said that on reading that the OP does not have a car I am not sure that it is much of an advantage. Don't think that public transport between the resorts is that good.

I might check out the forecast if it is likely to be windy, snowy and cold the trees at Serre Che are a better spot thatn the glaciers in L2A or A' d'H.
ski holidays
Skola,
Quote:

Also, no one has mentioned les arcs? It appears to be 3hours/100 euros for acoach transfer which is pushing it but the areas looks ace.

Don't know about the transfer but the area is a good one and fits most of your criteria. I prefer Serre Che but thats as much because of the atmosphere as anything else it certainly has the slopes you require. Will be a bit pricier on the hill from my experience of nieghbouring reorts though I have not stayed at Les Arcs itself for quite a few years now.
snow report
Skola, ADH seems the best suited to your needs Very Happy
ski holidays
rayscoops, trees for intermediates? Those above the lift from Vaujanay - any others?
ski holidays
Skola

If you're not driving then don't even think of trying to visit other resorts - just pick one of Les Deux Alpes and Alpe D'Huez and enjoy it. I did ADH a fair few years ago and loved it, but L2A gets a lot of positive mentions on here too - look at some of Swirly's photos from last season.

Skola wrote:
Also, no one has mentioned les arcs? It appears to be 3hours/100 euros for acoach transfer which is pushing it but the areas looks ace. Not ideal from grenoble? Its agbus transfer which I've heard mixed reviews about

Les Arcs is a great place (spent last season there) - but given you've booked to fly to Grenoble, why go further than the nearby resorts? They'll provide more than enough skiing for a week for sure.
Bensbus or similar for a short transfer and you're all good.
latest report
What about La Plagne ? Bit closer than Les Arcs. Seems to fit all the other criteria
snow report
Dubaian wrote:
What about La Plagne ? Bit closer than Les Arcs. Seems to fit all the other criteria

Not enough to make any difference - you're still looking at c.3 hours on the bus when you could be on the hill within say 90 minutes if you go to a local resort.
ski holidays
achilles, straight choice between L2A and ADH really (Serre Chev loses it on the transfer imv), and neither could be said to be full of trees. ADH wins it on the 'ski to door' count with the big 'blue' basin at resort level in comparison with the 'blacks' back to base at L2A for a 'comfortable on reds' couple
latest report
I think you'll have a great time in any of these resorts and personally I'd be looking for the best deal - including the transfer. Ski Beat still have catered chalets available in Les Arcs and La Plagne but they fly to Chambery so it might be better to look for a company that uses Grenoble so that you can use their transfer buses and save money.
ski holidays
rayscoops, yup, if you feel the SC transfer is too much, then I would agree with you - though I hope easiski remains a friend if she reads this! At LDA, Demoiselles can be a nightmare return with all the traffic - though the option of taking the gondola down is always there, of course. And the other side of the valley offers very pleasant intermediate skiing to the bottom. Being south-facing, ADH snow can be a problem in warm/snow-drought years, too.
ski holidays
achilles, not much between the two resorts really based on the OP, and as some one said above Skola would be fine in both. I have probably been to L2A about 5 times and really like it there and only been to ADH once, a flip of a coin really between ADH and L2A Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ok - plenty of advice to take in Very Happy most appreciated.

I can't fault the logic of L2A/ADH (assuming there are no strong winds forecasted) - quick and cheap to get to, with plenty of suitable terrain. Naturally ill go where the best deal is offered!
snow conditions
Is Les Menuires not an option? The 3 Valleys aren't too far from Grenoble (at least I hope not - going there next Saturday!). Meribel and VT can be more expensive (so I've heard), but we've got a ski-in/ski-out place in Les Menu for a very good price.
snow report
So I ended up booking a cheap sc apartment in adh thanks everyone

But

Been checking the ryanair website for cancellations. Stansted looks to be ok but today Grenoble is closed!!!! Man I'm worried.

Supposed to be flying out tomorrow, which the forecast looks slightly better for. Anyone have experience wit this airport and closures? I hope they reopen at some point today....
snow conditions
Skola, good luck, check out the L2A snow reports in the 'snow reports' section, seems that there was a lot of snow over night Very Happy
snow conditions
Skola, The 'problem' with Grenoble is that it really is only a UK ( and Amsterdam) destination airport ( Air France do not operate there for example afaik). It usually only has two or three commercial flights a day --- so it could well be that EZ and FR ( who both have one flight a day normally) may have 'agreed' not to operate today but tomorrow IS the busiest day of the week for the airport there... so a different prospect maybe?

It is snowing there currently but 'not a lot' as they say ... and the forecast is for light snow showers tomorrow ( as you obviously know) but with so many 'Once-a-Week' flights tomorrow I would guess they will put more effort in (???????)
latest report
Agenterre, maybe all the Easyjet/DickTurpinAir planes are caught up elsewhere so they decided to ditch Grenoble for a day and concentrate on clearing the Geneva/Innsbruck etc back log, hence it being closed ?
snow conditions
rayscoops, Airlines do these things ? Shocked wink

Laughing Laughing Laughing Havent heard 'DickTurpinAir' before ... shame they do not operate around 'Hounslow Heath' ( Dick Turpin's alleged hunting ground aka Heathrow )
snow report
Agenterre, Michelle mentioned that Easyjet planes were stranded all over the place !

DickTurpinAir aka Ryanair - but at least Dick Turpin had the common decency to wear a mask and carry a gun (£40 ski carriage charge per flight) when he mugged people wink
latest report
Agenterre, I see. I hope so.

If the flights are cancelled, can anyone recommend how to get there? Perhaps in the train? I think theres coaches too.
ski holidays
Skola, Some people on this thread going out by train to L2A/Grenoble

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=54987&start=40
ski holidays
achilles wrote:
rayscoops, trees for intermediates? Those above the lift from Vaujanay - any others?

runs down to Oz are tree-lined; runs off the back of signal towards Villard Reculas have widely spaced trees off piste (great for bad weather days); loads of tree lined runs in the Auris sector - this area is rather overlooked even by ADH lovers like myself. I rediscovered it last year and had a blast. however Auris is the bit which gets most affected by sun but shouldn't be a problem in Jan
snow report
Quote:
she left Gatwick, but didnt end up in Grenoble as planned. A massive storm socked in, and they diverted to Lyon. She texted me to say the conditions are dreadful as they have got to Grenoble. Airport is closed for the time being, and they have been warned this may not change until 18th Jan.

from another forum. been advised that grenoble is a no go and to book other flights to lyon or turin *cries*
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy