Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Esprit Ski in Peisey

Poster: A snowHead
Hello There,

Wondered if anyone has stayed at the chalets in Peisey with Esprit Ski?

We have a choice of Hermine, Ecureuil or Ourson. Going with my wife and our 8 month old son.

Can anyone please recommend which one we should go for, or are they all pretty similar?

Thanks!

Theo
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
theo, Welcome to Snowheads snowHead

We booked to go to Peisey with Esprit a couple of seasons ago but unfortunately had to cancel. However I did get some good advice from thefatcontroller about this who had been there previously, he advised to go for Hermine. This is because it's the 'top' chalet of the group, all the others are lower down the hill and so you have an uphill walk from the chalet every morning. Also the childcare rooms are in Hermine and so you only need to take your little one downstairs instead of having to wrap them all up in layers of kit and walk them up the hill. I have since heard the same thing about this situation from Esprit staff in another resort. Also if you look on their late offers pages you will see that Hermine is rarely available whereas the others often are. Must be a good reason why it sells better than the others.

HTH a bit.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks very much for the info and the welcome Sarah! That's very helpful.
Theo
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Stayed in Hermine in March 2008. Fantastic chalet, right on the road level (the others are down a steep path/staircase). Creche is in Hermine too so no need to dress baby up warm, plus the nannies had access to our room for baby extras that we had forgotten/they had run out of. Hermine is def the one you want to go to. No brainer. Very Happy We have stayed in many posh chalets in our time but all pre-children. Hermine was the first that reminded us of what life pre-children was like!

I have to say I absolutely hate Esprit as a concept (cannot believe I am sudo endorsing them) Confused and we have been on many hols with them where the accommodation and food has been shocking for the price Shocked , but Hermine is the jewel in the crown. Food was great (although our fellow guests had stayed there the year before and the food had been dire - pot luck with the chef I'm afraid). If we didn't have children, we wouldn't go back to Esprit (a common complaint) but no matter how bad the food and the accommodation is you cannot fault the childcare (which is the reason for the return visits).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

but no matter how bad the food and the accommodation is you cannot fault the childcare (which is the reason for the return visits)

Must be great childcare indeed if you have had so many "shocking" experiences with them but continue to return!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I just booked Hermine on your advice! Thanks to all and I'll let you know what its like when we get back!
Theo
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We're booked in the lowest chalet for the first week in Feb. Not using the childcare much and our eldest needs all the uphill we can give her too tire her out!

After Courchevel 1350 last year, with many treks carrying youngest and two sets of skis, I'm optimistic that even this will be pretty manageable! It was a fair bit cheaper as well, which was not to be sniffed at.

FWIW #1, the food we've had twice previously with Esprit was much better than what we had over Christmas with Ski Famille. You can pick a "snowsure" resort, but you can't pick a "foodsure" chalet. Smile

FWIW #2, the Esprit accommodation was generally better than Ski Famille's as well. At least the I could stand up in the Esprit rooms!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hermine also endorsed. It is, I think, the owners chalet (who also owns Cafe Nero) - it is very swanky.

We like Esprit- food much better in Chalet Hotels than chalets.

Childcare has always been very good indeed which is why we go. (But see grip regards no breast feeding babies at dinner).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ed123 wrote:

Childcare has always been very good indeed which is why we go. (But see grip regards no breast feeding babies at dinner).

What?? They said you couldn't feed your baby? Shocked
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Flying Snowplough, we stayed in the bottom chalet a few years ago. The benefit is the uninterrupted views over the valley towards LP, especially from the jacuzzi.

Very nice modern chalets, food variable, becoming poor...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
michael stocking, my expectations re food are set very low to start with. Anything I don't have to cook myself is automatically viewed favourably!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ed123 wrote:

Is that because they ask that no one under the age of 13 comes to the adult dinner?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi theo, I stayed in the 'Renard' chalet which is one of the 5 or 6 ( almost exactly the same ) chalets that Esprit have in Peisey a couple of years ago with my 4 year old. I do recall that the chalet was not at road level, and that there were steps involved. But I don't recall that they were much of an issue at all, in fact, they're quite a handy warm up for your your day's skiing Laughing As michael stocking, points out, one of the benefits of the 'lower' chalets is the amazing views back down the Tarentaise Valley. Another benefit is that you don't have the remainder of the Esprit enclave traipsing past your window / balcony. I am sorry that pc, seems to have had a negative experience, but I would disagree and suggest that the standard of these Chalets in terms of accommodation is very good. In addition, I have always had perfectly acceptable food on my Esprit holidays. Hope that helps put your mind at ease ?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Timberwolf, these chalets are very good but they are way better than Esprit accommodation in (eg) Tignes, so pc, has a point.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sarah, couldn't take baby into dining room- which was ridiculous- the results of 'extensive market research' according to hotel manager.

That excepted- which I grant you was a bigie- all other aspects of childcare excellent (mind you could easily argue that the 'no kids at dinner not even breast feeding infants' rule is not childcare per se rather a nonsense poorly thought out policy- which we will be writing / talking to them about shortly).
ski holidays
theo, No!

I agree with no screaming hoards but not with no infants.
latest report
sarah, in fairness to Esprit all the childcare provided by the childcare staff was really very good indeed. The diner issue was handled by the hotel manager (not the childcare staff).
ski holidays
ed123, sorry to hear that. I knew about their no kids at adult dinner rule as we have been with them in the summer and its the same. I am surprised though that a breast feeding babe in arms causes them a problem and especially in a chalet hotel where it's busier and less 'intimate' than a chalet anyway. I agree about the childcare couldn't fault it in the summer.
ski holidays
Quote:

couldn't take baby into dining room

What are you supposed to do with it then? Leave it in the hotel safe?!!!!
ski holidays
michael stocking, I'll bear that in mind. Thanks for clarifying. There was no specific reference in pc's post.
snow report
Thanks to you all for your feedback.
We're off on Sunday (Gatwick & Ice pemitting) so will let you know!
Does anyone know if there are any clothes washing facilities in the chalet or is it handwashing in the sink time?
latest report
theo, normally it's handwashing in the sink time Sad but.... but, if, you're really stuck and run out of clean stuff.......if you're super nice to the staff, and ask nicely, and offer to do it yourself etc, etc - basically go on a charm offensive wink ) you'll normally be able to find a machine to bung a load in....
ski holidays
Timberwolf wrote:
theo, normally it's handwashing in the sink time Sad but.... but, if, you're really stuck and run out of clean stuff.......if you're super nice to the staff, and ask nicely, and offer to do it yourself etc, etc - basically go on a charm offensive wink ) you'll normally be able to find a machine to bung a load in....

And if that doesn't work then a short walk down the hill into Vallandry and there's a laundrette there which does service wash / drys or about 10 euro for a machine full.
ski holidays
That's worth knowing, thanks bertie bassett
snow report
Timberwold - charm offensive it'll be or if not then fabulous knowledge bertie bassett - thank you!
latest report
I thought Esprit's Chalet lavachet in Tignes was rather nice. Bedrooms a bit basic but lounge and dining room nice, lots of comfy sofas.

On the topic of Chalet food, had surprisingly good food from chef in Crystal's Chalet Abendruh in Kaprun last week. Chalet sleeps 27, there were 4 permanent staff inc a chef, seemed a lot for that size of chalet.

Re Esprit, great pity that they have dropped the Kaprun Chalets from the summer programme, I thoroughly enjoyed my week this July, although the subsequent week in the Grand Hotel in Zell worked out cheaper and was fantastic.
snow report
Ghost Dog, I was in Chalet Mara with Esprit in August......one our best family holidays yet Very Happy
latest report
Theo - Hermine has a washing machine and dryer on the lower ground floor which is staff only. They were great and let us use it for the baby stuff when they didn't need it for the towels/sheets. We gave them some washing powder and a big tip in return! - which I guess is an extension of the Bertie Bassett school of thought Smile . It wasn't so much the washing in the sink that was the issue Confused - it was the drying of the stuff so that it wasn't as stiff as a board. Shocked (for the 5 month old)

Awksquawk - One word "Schatzi" aka "Shi*tzi" in La Rosiere. Worst accommodation (no hot water (they arranged for us to shower after 2 days (uuuk) in another residence); no heating; food poisoning). Children - great holiday- loved the take out pizza (that we had to organise after the second night) and the nannies. You do what you have to, to ski another year. It was the attitude of all the other adults too.

Theo - Hermine was as I said "the jewel in the crown". One imagines they put their better "chef" in that place. Enjoy! V jealous. Please report back on your return!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ghost Dog, what was kaprun base snow like - it looked a little thin on webcam a couple of weeks back but it appreas to have been dumping ?
And we've been Esprit fans whilst the littluns have been small, but Crystal are also popular in Kaprun - what are their pros and cons - where is teh Crystal chalet ? Now our daughter is 6 ia m starting to think whether we ought to be looking at otehr companies - Esprit do the little kids really well in my mind.

Timberwolf, ++ What do you do on the summer hols there - we have been thinking about it, again with a 6 to 7 year old (it woudl be this summer) and we're not sure that there is enough she is old enough to do yet - ie she's not up to mountain biking and rafting ?
snow conditions
sev112, we were there with a 6 year old and a 3 year old in August and easily filled a week - wished we could have stayed for longer !! For example, one day we hired bikes and cycled to Zell am See, on another we walked down the Schmittenhohe ( sp? ) admittedly the youngest spent alot of time on my shoulders. There are countless spectacular days out by car, Waterfalls, GrossGlockner Alpine pass, High Alpine dams......Another bonus was that we swam in the Kaprun leisure centre every day, mostly outdoors ( free with Esprit ) all sorts of stuff to do Cool Cool Can't recommend it enough.... it was probably our best family holiday to date !!
snow report
Timberwolf - I wonder if we met, we were at Chalet Sonnenalp in Kaprun the first two weeks of Aug with our 6 and 3 yo.

sev112 - I echo everything Timberwolf already said including that we made copious use of the Kids Clubs which freed us up for day trips on our own to Salzburg, down a Salt Mine and miles of torturous mountain walking. In the Kids Club the children went for picnics and walks with Llama's and treasure hunts. There was plenty to fill up two weeks there including everything Timberwolf mentioned as well as Summer Tobogganing, a visit to Werfen Castle and we still missed the Alpine Zoo and a few other things.

Esprit have removed Kaprun from their Summer offerings this year however but I wouldn't hesistate to try one of their other locations if thats the kind of holiday you're looking for.
ski holidays
Kiwi, we arrived on 15th, so probably missed you....and to be fair we only went over to the Sonnenalp once... Good point about Kaprun not being in the Summer brochure this year - fairly strange as it's still on their winter program...
latest report
The holiday to Peisey was a hit. Esprit Childcare for our 8 month old was superb.
Food was very good in the chalet and the variety of skiing in Peisey Vallandry, Les Arcs and La Plagne was huge.
Recommended!
latest report
We love the skiing in Peisey-Vallandry although it was too crowded last year during the French and English combined half-term. We used Club Med which has good child care and is located right by the Lifts/Vanoise Express. The food there is extremely good in terms of quality and variety. With Club Med everything apart from ski-hire is included in the overall price. Roughly eyeballing it it looks similar to Esprit once you have added on lift passes and lessons to the Esprit price so it must be worth consideration.
ski holidays
We're off to Peisey with Esprit on Sunday. Smile

We're all having lessons in the morning (first for me this Millenium!) so the Esprit "Blue Coats" will earn their crust marshalling the Little Snowploughs on the first morning as I prepare for the "Degrading Grading". Smile

No childcare booked for the afternoon, as the Little Snowploughs want to lose me in the trees during Family Skiing. Smile
snow conditions
hey, have you already been and gone??
i'm living here in peisey for the season, have done for 2 seasons now... so i'm full of useful advice, so fire away and i'll be glad to answer....

peace
j
latest report
ed123 wrote:
sarah, couldn't take baby into dining room- which was ridiculous- the results of 'extensive market research' according to hotel manager.

That excepted- which I grant you was a bigie- all other aspects of childcare excellent (mind you could easily argue that the 'no kids at dinner not even breast feeding infants' rule is not childcare per se rather a nonsense poorly thought out policy- which we will be writing / talking to them about shortly).

Soooooo glad you posted this I assumed it was a grumpy manager but called to check as this thread is quite old (having been about to book and used Esprit last year) and she said policy accross the board - our baby tends to sleep on me / in sling in the evening better than in bed (and unfamiliar room in particular) and even that not allowed - what a load of rubbish from a supposedly family friendly company! I get that parents want a break from kids and relaxing dinner but a contented sleeping or even awake baby is not a big deal imo and certainly not like a 2/3 year old being there - they've lost our booking this year at least!
ski holidays
I believe in England not allowing you to breast feed your baby in such circumstances could well be illegal under the Equality Act 2010 whereby premises amongst other things, must ensure mothers are not discriminated against, harassed or victimised because they are breastfeeding a baby. There may be others on here that know more about the Act than I do?

I know we are talking about premises in France but Esprit is a British Company? For anyone that wanted to complain to the Company this could be pointed out!
ski holidays
Having used Espirit every year since 2010, I completely get their Adult Dining Room policy. They're perfectly happy to let people eat in their rooms if they want or need to stay with their children, and they have free a baby monitoring service who will go into a room to check on the wee'uns or should Jnr wake up and want mum or dad, call down for you. But after 7pm the dining room is reserved as an adult space and I really don't see a problem with that.

IME, Its a policy common to pretty most all of the child-friendly chalets that we've stayed in or looked at.

@CaravanSkier, it's not the issue of not allowing breastfeeding during an adult mealtime, because children are not allowed in that space at that time. Breakfast time? Not a problem, Kids teatime? Fine go for it and more power to you. But the dining room is reserved for adults at that time, and adults only means no children of any age.
snow report
@Richard_Sideways, I`m no legal expert but I can see how an argument could be made that it is discrimination. After all perhaps Mum wants to have dinner in the dining room and not be relegated to her room! I`m way beyond that period of my life now but if I were at that point I would not book with a Company with that policy in place! I get that other adults want to dine in peace and I would understand that a crying baby should be removed but that does not alter the basic fact that under English law in England an argument could probably be made that the policy is illegal.

Having said that it is of course a personal choice which company anyone uses for any holiday and no one is forced to use Esprit.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy