Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

HELP: Jacket advice needed!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys,

I have decided to get a new jacket for this season, so far I have a trip booked for a week in Alpe D'Huez for early Jan, but am also hoping to ski for 2 additional weeks before the season's end.

Anyway, I have a pair of Animal Prowler pants, in brown (see below)

My Dilemma is that I am relatively new to the skiing world, With 4 weeks experience, I am comfortable on most blacks (haven't encountered one I couldn't ski yet, but then after just 4 weeks, I'm not confident enough to stick my neck out that far), but technically I know I'm not great, and I don't want to get a jacket that will look too "lairy" and appear to be a guy with "all the gear, but no idea".

At the same time I want to look good, if I'm spending £250 (I know this isn't a lot for a jacket, but it's a lot for me Smile ).

So my questions are: Would I be better to stick to a jacket that is a bit "quieter"? I think the bright Jackets look great on the slopes, but do you need the ability to back up the loudness of the jacket?

Secondly, what are people's thoughts on the below jackets, which I have shortlisted? There apears to be a plethora of jackets about, so if anybody has any other suggestions I am very open to ideas.

North Face Headwall Triclimate - Gunnison Green

North Face Maineline Triclimate - Black

Salomon Fantasy - Electric Blue

Salomon Fantasy - Neo Green

Any Help is appreciated, Thanks

Steve
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
StevenH72,

You're very likely about to get more opinions that you ever thought possible - and they're also highly likely to be all entirely different too.

For what it's worth, £250 is a very reasonable figure and allows you to select from a good range of kit. You just need to ask yourself what you're likely to use the jacket for...if it's only for skiing, then that would help narrow the options a little.

It would also help if you suggest whether you prefer insulated or non-insulated, as that might help determine some better suggestions too.

I would imagine that for £250 you'll be able to find a LOT of options to suit. For example I found a brand new Arc'teryx Sidewinder SV in Brighams for that price not too long ago...

Good luck!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fr0sty, thanks.

Ok for the additional information, it is likely to only be used for skiing, and I would prefer insulated.

If you need any more information, just ask.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wear the colours you like most!!! Seriously, don't give a damn about what some parkrat in glow-in-the-dark-with-flashing-red-lights thinks! Just don't go for white, doesn't stand out well enough in photos wink

Secondly, a couple of years ago I had a TNF Vortex (I think) Triclimate, which was an excellent jacket, with great versatility for different temperatures. In fact I still have the insulation jacket part of it to wear under my new shell on really cold days.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
clarky999, thanks for the advice,!

I am leaning towards the electric blue Salomon Jacket! Does anybody have any experience with it?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
StevenH72 wrote:
I am leaning towards the electric blue Salomon Jacket! Does anybody have any experience with it?

I think out of the ones you've shown above that is my favourite, but then thats just me Madeye-Smiley

It also looks like its got thumb holes in the inner sleeves which I quite like as it stops snow going up your arms if you fall.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Treacle, yeh the thumb holes in the sleeves looks very handy. Although, I have also chucked the Gunnison Green TNF Headwall jacket into the mix also.

Decision to be made between TNF Headwall Triclimate inGunnison Green, and the Electric Blue Salomon Fantasy.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy