Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

easjet bag allowance

Poster: A snowHead
I am going on a ski trip soon and thinking of booking an easyjet flight. If I put all my luggage in a snowboard bag and it comes in at under 20kg can I just pay for 1 hold bag as that is all I will have or do I need to pay extra for the bag because it is sports equipment. Has anyone tried this one, or will I just get stung for extra at the airport because it is sports equipment. Any advice appreciated,
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
gillski, you have to pay the ski carraige charge to take a snowboard bag. You could try packing the snowboard bag up to 20kg and take heavy stuff in your hand luggage and not pay for any other hold baggage though - that is what I do

and welcome to snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
gillski, I questioned easyjet about sport baggage & weight allowance.
If you pay for a hold bag ( £9 or so ) it can weigh up to 20kg but needs to be a standard type of bag.
If you then also pay for ski/snowboard carriage you can have two bags ( one of them being an oversize one) with a combined weight of no more than 32kg.
If however, & this is an interesting one, you only pay for sports baggage ( £18.50 or so ) then that sports bag can weigh up to 32kg on its own - yes, 32 kg. The higher charge apparently buying you, in effect, your standard 20kg hold allowance plus an extra 12kg for the sports gear. The trick therefore is to buy a big bag, stuff all your gear into it & just pay the sports bag charge.
I have been assured by email from their customer services that this is the case - to confirm I also asked the question in their enquiries 'chatroom'
Have I tried it yet ? no, but have just bought a large double ski bag , have printed out the email & am flying EJ on the 9th jan .................we'll see

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 19-12-09 21:35; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
nickH, Did that just over a year ago going to tignes for a long weekend - 1x board bag total weight 27kg and stuffed with all my bits. Took rucksack on the plane. Job done.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bertie bassett, great, that's reassuring. Despite having got it twice from customer services I'm suspicious ( yeah & cynical) enough not to believe until it happens !!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
nickH, can you post the email here (removing any personal details like your address and the name/address of the cust services rep if it's a non-generic one). Thanks.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nickH, last season Easyjet tried to charge me 4kg excess baggage when my bag was 16 kg and i had no other hold baggage, but I managed to fight my case and and the supervisor over ruled the girl on the desk.

it would be good to see the email you received though

long debate on this that related more to 'pooling' baggage allowances http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=31031&start=160
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sideshow_Bob, rayscoops, not sure how to edit all the crap out let alone post it on to here ( I'm tech illiterate)

there was an email exchange of a couple of answers & questions. my first question was misunderstood. My second was, & this is a direct quote " therefore if I have paid only for ski carriage ( £18.50 ) and have only a ski bag going into the hold, my ski bag can weigh up to 32kg ( 20kg hold allowance + 12kg extra for sports eqpt) - is that correct?"
The answer, again a direct quote, taken from after the thank you for contacting us bit "...I am happy to confirm that you have an allowance of 32kg for your booking. Please note that you are not allowed to take more than 32kg in only one piece of baggage........."
I was then referred to their 'live' chatroom where I asked much the same question which was something like " if my only hold baggage is a sports bag for which I have paid £18.50 that bag can weigh up to 32kg - is that correct " The answer came back yes.

I realise that my post yesterday was a little wrong in that each passenger may check in baggage with a combined weight of up to 50kg, of which no one bag can weigh no more than 32kg.

It would be good if someone else was to throw a similar question to easyjet & see if they get the same response

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 21-12-09 18:22; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nickH, Can you please replace your link with a shorter version, or encpsulate it so that what appears is shorter?

It is making it hard to read the thread because it causes the page width to go very wide.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
alex_heney, he is tech illiterate - you are asking too much wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
[rayscoops, you're right there Smile

alex_heney, just pasted the link as they gave it - tried chopping it up but that didn't work so have scrubbed it. If you want to try it yourself, the chatroom link can be found on the EJ site by going to FAQ, then search for, say, sports baggage, 'click' on one of the results, eg hold baggage, & the chatroom link is at the bottom of the page.....
If you'd like to explain how to encapsulate however, I'm happy to try ( a whole new xmas experience !!) Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nickH, What you need to do is something like this. All that will then be seen in the post is "example" as a link, rather than the full horrible long URL (which can still be seen in the status bar when you hover your mouse over the link.

[url=http://www.example_long_and_horrible_url.com]Example[/url]
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
alex_heney, didn't have much success there, but realise that the link only refers one to the chatroom link, not, obviously , to the conversation I had, so will rest my efforts there.

rayscoops, have had a play & here, hopefully , is the email exchange with easyjet - as you can see my first question was misunderstood, but the second was pretty clear.

question1:

01/12/2009 07.37 PM
I would like to take a bag containing skis & clothes with me. I have paid £18.50 for the sports bag carriage. As it is not clear from your FAQ section, could you please tell me how much weight I can have in the bag if I am not taking any other hold baggage. I assume that as £9 buys me 20 kg hold baggage that the £18.50 will buy me at least £20kg if not 32kg.

reply1:

02/12/2009 10.31 AM
Thank you for contacting us.
All passengers are entitled to 20 kilos of hold baggage weight allowance. In addition, a manual handling fee of £26.00 per flight (or £18.50 per flight if pre-booked online) is charged for Bikes, Skis, Golf Clubs, Windsurfers, Surfboards, Hang-gliders and Firearms, which allows a further 12 kilos. Only if your hold baggage and sports equipment combined weigh more than 32 kilos will you be charged excess baggage fees of £10.00 per additional kilo.
Yours sincerely
Frédéric Fourmont
Customer Experience Champion

question2:

02/12/2009 06.55 PM
Incident created due to reply to expired incident 091201-002474.
therefore if I have paid only for ski carriage ( £18.50) and have only a ski bag going into the hold, my ski bag can weigh up to 32kg ( 20kg hold allowance + 12kg extra for sports eqpt) - is that correct ? cheers

reply2:

03/12/2009 07.53 PM
Need to update your question?
Dear Mr H ,
Thank you for contacting us.
I am happy to confirm that you are absolutely right about the baggage allowance for your booking.
I can confirm that you have an allowance of 32kg for your booking. Please note that you are not allowed to take more than 32kg in only one piece of baggage.
I below detail a link that you may find useful. You will there see a link to a live chatroom where you can consult further details with one of our customer service agents.(link removed)
Thank you very much for taking the time to contact us Mr H. Please do not hesitate to contact us one more time if you need any further assistance.
Yours sincerely,
Omar Carrieri
Customer Services Champion
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What type of sleeping bag should I be looking at purchasing for the harsh Australian climate? I am looking at doing some backpacking around Australia for about 6 - 9 months...I don't know anything about what type of sleeping bag to go for...I have done some research and theres always a 7c or 9c number associated with each sleeping bag model...Is this code for what climate the sleeping bag is designed for? If so what type should I be looking for?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
penelopa, what's the betting another low-count poster appears and tells you the ideal solution? Laughing
snow report
We do what nickH, does.

The check in guy at Geneva didn't like it all, a couple of weeks ago. He just told us we should have also paid for hold luggage or kept our bags to less than 12kg. Then he waved us through.
snow conditions
nickH, Mmm.. I saw someone at BRS recently trying to check in an oversize bag and the staff weren't having any of it....
latest report
erica2004, I went through BRS last week with about 16kg and was ok; I always take a copy of my confirmation with me because the check-in staff do not know their own rules Very Happy
snow report
Just used the chat feature- similiar response to similiar question-

[|G M] I have booked flights for myself and a friend next week Edinburgh to Geneva. I have booked a
hold bag for her. For myself I have paid for a ski bag (on the same booking). She does not have skis and I can fit
the rest of my kit in carry on luggage. Can you confirm for me then that her baggage allowance will be 20kilos, and
mine will be 32 kilos since I have paid for a sports bag?
[Chhavi] Hello
[G M] Hi
[Chhavi] Please allow me few minutes to refer to your query.

[G M] Thanks
[Chhavi] Your skis has to be taken with sports equipment bag and can not be put in the carry on luggage.
[Chhavi] You are right that you have bag allowance of 32 kilos and your friend has the baggage allowance of 20 kilos
[GM] And that applies even though my only check in baggage will be the ski bag (no other hold baggage)
[G M] ?
[Chhavi] 32 kilos applies even if you do not carry a hold bag.
[|G M] Thank you very much
[Chhavi] Is there anything else I can help you with?
[G M] Thats everything, thank you for your time.
[Chhavi] Thank you for contacting easyJet. Have a nice day!
snow report
I too had a ‘chat’ with Easyjet earlier today to clarify my position:

[T] I have 4 people booked onto a flight with 2 hold bags paid for, with a 20kg allowance each. I also have 2 ski bags booked as well. Can you tell me the total weight allowance available to me?
[Swati] Hello
[Swati] If the hold baggage and sports equipment combined weigh more than 32kilos, then passengers are charged excess baggage fees. One bag cannot exceed 32 kilos.
[T] I am assuming the following: 2x20kgs for the hold bags for 2 people. The other two passengers who do not have hold bags but just ski bags are allowed 32kgs each for the ski bags. Therefore the total weight allowed for the whole group is 20+20+32+32?

At this point a long pause – I thought the connection had gone down!

[Swati] Yes, you are allowed 20+20+32+32
[T] Ah, that’s great – thank you

I have printed that out to take with me to the airport in case of a difference of opinion at the desk!
snow report
nickH, good point, but they never guarantee that the bag will arrive with your flight.

So if your board or skis don't arrive, then at least you can hire some.

That is why I always put my ski or board boots in my main luggage and never in the ski or board bag.

On the flight to Italy on BB somebodies board did not go with the flight (not a Snowhead).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy