Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Inside Out Skiing in Solden, December '09

Poster: A snowHead
Just about recovered from an amazing week in Solden, the first Alpine coaching week for Inside Out Skiing. This was a fairly late decision for us in terms of whether to run a trip so early in the season, but we wanted to get to know the resort a bit better and it has a reputation for being snow-sure because of it's two glaciers so we thought we'd risk it and offer a limited coaching programme. As it turned out we had no need to worry about a lack of snow because the snowgods smiled most graciously on us, with lots of fresh before we arrived and several snowy days while we were there Very Happy

We were lucky to have half a dozen great clients to teach, so it was an enjoyable challenge to be inventive as the week went on, with some days devoted to technical training with lots and lots of drills, and other days a bit more tactical as we sought out as much powder and variable snow as we could find, both on piste and off. Thanks from both Scott and myself to Samerberg Sue, andy, Timberwolf, Sleipnir & Heike for being such good fun, and really getting stuck in to the skiing with such enthusiasm, even when we took you outside of your comfort zones.

As can be seen in these photos were we lucky with conditions on and off-piste. The week was a perfect mix of blue skies on some days and falling snow on others.

Scott and I saw lots of changes in everyone's skiing as the week went on, and we offered a range of individual drills and exercises which can be followed up to continue the development in everyone's skiing. Hopefully the next time we see everyone it will be even more of a challenge for us to improve their skiing Wink

It was the first time in Solden for me and Scott, and we are both very impressed. There is a great range of ski terrain available, the lift system is modern so whisks you around the mountain at speed and in comfort. It's also a very short transfer (less than an hour) from Innsbruck airport, so we are investigating options for short coaching trips later this season On hill facilities for lunch and coffee stops are simply superb, with a mix of cosy, traditional huts and large, comfortable self-service restaurants. Prices are reasonable and quality very high. The village itself is less spread out than we thought it might be, so walking around (or short hops on the bus) is not a problem. The apres ski is extensive and varied, from quiet bars and nice restaurants to manic clubs serving bizarre drinks (tip: never drink the Zombie shots...). Scott and I stayed in the Hotel am Hof and would be very happy to recommend it - good location, great food and a comfortable hotel. We also checked out the Hotel Tyrol which will be our base for our coaching weeks in January and March and it looks superb. All in all we are very impressed with the resort.

As part of our thorough investigation of the resort Scott and I sampled the apres ski as best we could Wink We were aided and abetted in this by Samerberg Sue, andy, Timberwolf, Sleipnir & Heike, as well as by rayscoops who was staying with us in the am Hof (and dazzled us with his boarding and dancing all week). It would be fair to say that we enjoyed every evening... Smile

BTW, what is the collective noun for a pile of empty Jägermeister bottles. Is it a Charlatanefc of Jägermeisters?

Lots more photos of our week on my blog. Our next coaching week in Solden is on 16th January. Let us know if you're interested in coming along Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar, bit mean not allowing them a set of poles each so they had to fight over them! Laughing Laughing

Looks like you had a great trip.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, great report, not jealous of the snow at all! Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks like a great week! Would love to come on one of your 'Outside' weeks but can't do the week of the 16th Jan - another time snowHead snowHead

Butterfly, Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, nice report, sounds like a good technical week with just the right mixture of challenge and enjoyment thrown in too! Great stuff! Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar, Nice report, and a very good review of Solden, i noticed it get's a bit of bad press on here. I was very impressed with the on-mountain facilities and the lift system when i visited in March last year.

The trip looks really good, and having two coaches (?) for half a dozen skiiers is very good. I'd be interested in signing up to a trip in future.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Butterfly, they were generous enough to give us 1 pole each at one point Wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Liam, yes, very good on-mountain facilities, and the new place at the bottom of the Tiefenbach glacier is impressively huge. And most "facilities" are all on the ground floor, or if they were downstairs then there were proper stairs with handrails, not dangerous wet, icy spiral staircases like everywhere I've been in France.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A few photos from my mate Gary who came out with me a day early

a very busy glacier... Toofy Grin

and a very cool viewing platform overlooking the glacier

Hardly anyone goes off piste, i thought it musta been full of rocks being so early but was just fab

some lost a few skis Toofy Grin

My fat skis for the week wink

A little apres on the hill

and a little apres off the hill

Going home after a very very very good night...

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 14-12-09 14:39; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
That viewing platform looks terrifying. There's a chairlift embarkation point on Hintertux where you have to ski along a little "pier" like that, apparently off the edge of a cliff, I remember. Pant filling stuff.

Looks like a great inaugural Inside Out shindig was had by all, excellent work!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
paulio, it was pretty scary especially when a couple of people decided it would be fun to jump up and down on it. Shocked it was really windy and it had to be 500 metres at least straight down but had stunning views...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimottaret wrote:
and a littel apres off the hill

]

What's going on over your right shoulder. Those guys look happy to see each other!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ahh yes the Italians !!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looks like you all had a great week! Now, if you could just pop over and do a coaching week in Wengen that would be great! wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There really was a lot of fresh snow, could have really put the Volkl Mantra and Kastle freeride skis I tested the previous week through their paces in that.

The viewing platform would be good for a bungee jump!
snow conditions
Peter Ross wrote:
The viewing platform would be good for a bungee jump!

the half dozen people on the end decided to start jumping up and down and it really got moving. quite dramatic and almost a shear drop to the glacier on the other side. Shocked
ski holidays
rob@rar, skimottaret, looks great out there! Maybe maybe maybe I can do the Instruction Bash in 2011... here's hoping!
snow report
TallTone, that would be great. We've got quite a few others who are hoping to do the same Smile
snow conditions
Me too, me too, me too!!!! {Jump-up-and-down smiley}
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy