Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

One day in Les Arcs! Report

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Cedric, Good point. What you actually might mean by advanced seems pretty variable. Most of the TO brochures talk of red and black runs as "for advanced skiers", whereas, it seems real advanced skiers look for off-piste.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What about Les Arcs 1950? is it going to be all intrawest say it will be and do the prices of ownership tempt anyone?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As soon as a batch of properties come on the market they sell like hot cakes, so the demand seems to be there.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Alun, welcome to snowHeads, PG is right about Arc 1950 selling out, apparently over 80% of the ownership is non-French. It's the last place I'd think of buying because I am certain the price per metre is out of line with values being acheived nearby. If you're looking for an apartment I've seen some reasonably priced places fro sale in Arc 1600, Arc 1800 and La Plagne.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Manda wrote:
bullet, I have only one quibble, mainly to avoid disapointment amongst people who don't know better: Les Arcs is most certainly NOT normally considered to be aimed at intermediate/advanced levels. The Paradiski network is routinely singled out being as suitable for beginners and improving intermediates. And having skied both Les Arcs and La Plagne recently I can vouch that neither are challenging as their neighbouring Savoie resort networks. Perhaps snow conditions upped the difficulty factor somewhat when you were there??? (speculating) Puzzled

I don't know where you skied in Les Arcs, but perhaps you stayed down the obvious middles of the valleys. Despite being a much smaller area, Les Arcs has twice as many black runs as Tignes/Val d'Isere (and they are REAL blacks). Val/T does have more off-piste but Les Arcs has quite a lot.
Now about La Plagne I agree; and you CAN have a good easy-skiing holiday in Les Arcs but it is also one of the best places for good skiers.

Mind you, for the brief visitor La Plagne has one awesome off piste area: the north face of Bellecote. The version taken from the highest point on the ridge you can traverse to is VERY steep.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The best thing about La Plagne IMHO is it's reputation for being easy/intermediate, hence the powder doesn't get tracked out as quickly as Val D'Isere, Chamonix, Verbier. If your prepared to walk you can get fresh tracks days after a storm.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David@traxvax wrote:
Alun, welcome to snowHeads, PG is right about Arc 1950 selling out, apparently over 80% of the ownership is non-French. It's the last place I'd think of buying because I am certain the price per metre is out of line with values being acheived nearby. If you're looking for an apartment I've seen some reasonably priced places fro sale in Arc 1600, Arc 1800 and La Plagne.

I agree, it's all bit too superficial and Brothers Grimm for me. Not many people based elsewhere seem to stop off there either, so the businesses - bars, rentals, etc - have been virtually empty each time I've had a look. Maybe that will improve when the development is finished, but I wonder whether the people that can afford this type of property in the first place will be subletting when they are not there themselves? In other words, are the occupancy rates for this quality of mountain pied-à-terre as high as in the more standard kinds of property?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PG, I thought that the majority of the development at 1950 was being sold on a leaseback basis, in which case occupancy rates won't be too affected by owners leaving their apartments empty (unlike my apartment block at 1800 which was a little like the Marie Celeste at the end of January!).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar.org.uk, I assumed purchasers had the choice between an outright purchase and leaseback, no idea what the split is. Either way, it certainly was pretty dead over the Christmas period. It will interesting to see what it's like over the 'busiest' period of the year, from this coming weekend...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thank you for the responses! What experience have you had or heard about regarding the leaseback schemes in general or specifically arc 1950? These are high cost properties so is there a good investment return in prospect or are people just looking for a future capital return .... when the builders move out??!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alun Williams, some thoughts and references in this earlier snowHeads thread...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy