Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg snow report 2009/2010

Poster: A snowHead
Looks like some snow alright but based on snow-forecast.com, not very much, still looks like FL above village, I wonder will the lifts open on Friday???
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Peter Ross wrote:
Looks like some snow alright but based on snow-forecast.com, not very much, still looks like FL above village, I wonder will the lifts open on Friday???

Almost all the forecasts I've been watching are now showing a significant fall in temperature by the end of next week, there is though no similarly strong correlation on potential snow fall. Forecasts tend to be relatively reliable about three days out (though of course not always) and slightly less so the further you head out from that. For what it is worth a large number of them seem to be predicting some decent snow next weekend (though not huge amounts of snow). That forecast will sharpen up as the week progresses. The tricky part is that the lift company will presumably have to make a call before it can really have much certainty for what will happen at the weekend. Though presumably they will try to open if they can *Stanton said last week he thought they would aim to have at least something open round Galzig. On the snow-forecast forecast, first thing this morning they were talking about a foot at resort level by next Monday, now almost nothing. When the forecast fluctuates like this it is because the forecast is uncertain or rather unstable. "Watch the skies, everywhere, keep looking. Keep watching the skies." wink

NB: See the following from this evening "We still have a good chance to open the lifts at the weekend 27/11 - 29/11. We will inform you on this site [ http://www.abbag.com/en/winter/home/ ] or on www.skiarlberg.at "

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 22-11-09 18:31; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Indeed, the St Anton website shares the uncertainty...

The extremely mild weather phase will temporarily come to an end starting next week. An Atlantic low-pressure area will bring us very windy and somewhat cooler Atlantic weather. The cloudiness will alternate and a weak cold front will cross our region on Sunday night. On Tuesday, a warm front will follow and bring some precipitation. For a short time, very mild air will approach by the middle of the week. Already in the second half of the week, a long-term cooling down cannot be excluded.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Knowing my luck it'll snow the day I'm attempting to get to resort (Dec 1st)! Still time yet.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nozawaonsen wrote:
Peter Ross wrote:

Almost all the forecasts I've been watching are now showing a significant fall in temperature by the end of next week, there is though no similarly strong correlation on potential snow fall. Forecasts tend to be relatively reliable about three days out (though of course not always) and slightly less so the further you head out from that. For what it is worth a large number of them seem to be predicting some decent snow next weekend (though not huge amounts of snow). That forecast will sharpen up as the week progresses. The tricky part is that the lift company will presumably have to make a call before it can really have much certainty for what will happen at the weekend. Though presumably they will try to open if they can *Stanton said last week he thought they would aim to have at least something open round Galzig. On the snow-forecast forecast, first thing this morning they were talking about a foot at resort level by next Monday, now almost nothing. When the forecast fluctuates like this it is because the forecast is uncertain or rather unstable. "Watch the skies, everywhere, keep looking. Keep watching the skies." wink

NB: See the following from this evening "We still have a good chance to open the lifts at the weekend 27/11 - 29/11. We will inform you on this site [ http://www.abbag.com/en/winter/home/ ] or on www.skiarlberg.at "

The forecast is once again good as it was this morning and even better, but by the time you read this it might have change again once or twice.
we are having a real hard time deciding what to do - stick with St. Anton and hope for the best, or bail to Solden. we'll appreciate any suggestion from you guys here.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
coming to St Anton for Christmas...Please let there be snow. I shall bring my hiking boots for a little ski fitness just in case... Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I really want to be St Anton for the 12th, but webcam at the village is showing lovely green pastures only. The other website I have looked at today is far more optimistic - see http://www.skiinfo.com/Snowfinder-details/St.AntonamArlberg-EATXSTANTON-8952-en.jhtml

PS - an unfortunate opening line on the skialberg website - "A warm welcome!"
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am in Munich, the weather here changed dramatically overnight. Big storm coming through with high winds. Yesterday was calm and warm. Hopefully it's worse in the hills.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitenski wrote:
Indeed, the St Anton website shares the uncertainty...

The extremely mild weather phase will temporarily come to an end starting next week. An Atlantic low-pressure area will bring us very windy and somewhat cooler Atlantic weather. The cloudiness will alternate and a weak cold front will cross our region on Sunday night. On Tuesday, a warm front will follow and bring some precipitation. For a short time, very mild air will approach by the middle of the week. Already in the second half of the week, a long-term cooling down cannot be excluded.

I'm pretty sure this is the exact same wording of the forecast from Solden's website ? Are these two resorts that close together ?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
http://www.snoweye.com/?resort=at_stanton

green at resort 1300m, white at 1800m
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This came in to my inbox this morning from the tourist office Crying or Very sad Time for plan B, whatever that is?

'The Arlberger Bergbahnen just informed us that the ski lifts won’t be operating this weekend. So unfortunately, also the ski tests won’t take place.

The snow conditions are already pretty good on top of the mountain, but there’s still no connection to the lower ski area. All we can do at the moment, is hoping for the temperatures to sink. We hope lifts are able to operate in the course of the next three weeks.'
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Where now? Garmisch tourist office says it's an hour and 15 minutes to get to the glacier from the town!!! And then for only 20km of runs and probably very busy runs also! Soelden looks more appealing although much more travel time from Memmingen. Anyone know how long it takes to get to the Soelden glaciers from the town?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Peter Ross wrote:
Where now? Garmisch tourist office says it's an hour and 15 minutes to get to the glacier from the town!!! And then for only 20km of runs and probably very busy runs also! Soelden looks more appealing although much more travel time from Memmingen. Anyone know how long it takes to get to the Soelden glaciers from the town?

30min drive up from Solden if the road is still open.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Peter Ross wrote:
Where now? Garmisch tourist office says it's an hour and 15 minutes to get to the glacier from the town!!! And then for only 20km of runs and probably very busy runs also!

Thats right, a slow train goes down the valley then up the mountain. If you have a car you can save some time by driving to Eibsee, then the train is only 35min, or you can get the cable car to the summit then another to the glacier. The cable car is probably a bit quicker.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Peter Ross, depends on the amount of traffic on the road and whether you stop at the Rettenbach or drive through the tunnel to the Tiefenbach glacier. Currently the road is still open (according to the tourist office) but you have to have full winter equipment - that means winter tyres AND chains. The last time I drove down I had a problem with my rear tyres slipping (older winter tyres) on the dry road surface. I will use the buses or the cable cars from town in future.

When the road is open, there are also buses going up from the centre of town. The Giggijoch gondola is open as are the connecting pistes so you can go up to the glacier from the town and save paying the toll for the car. Yesterday there was 60km of piste open and 17 lifts.

The forecast is for the temperatures to drop - for example it was snowing today on the Zugspitze (05:30 weather forecast on German morning TV). However when I drove into work from my village the air temp was back up to 14°C due to the very strong Föhn winds.

I'm in Sölden as of next week (Dec 4th) and I'm not panicking to be honest. As soon as the temperatures start to drop down to normal November ones they will start blowing snow so that the base is as complete as possible.

Sue wink
snow conditions
Peter Ross, Maybe you should try Ischgl, apparently they will have plenty of lifts open.

http://www.silvretta.at/uk_win/index1.php

Pictures from today look great.
snow report
Hmm, still looks like we are entering a cooling period (then again we should it being nearly December!), but not a really deep one and although there seems to be the possibility of some reasonable snowfall on Monday/Tuesday there is quite a bit of to-ing and fro-ing in the forecasts.

Plan B? Have a cold beer and hold your nerve. Mooserwirt has been drilling for oil, Taps adding new storeys and KKs being bought up by a ski star. Any other bar news?

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 24-11-09 0:30; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Thanks all, Ischgl has no accommodation coming up on the website (concert weekend), I'm edging towards Soelden, seems like enough snow and lots of kms open, although could be fairly hard snow! Now wondering should I hire a car or get the train (only 2 of us), I am confused by the ticket prices quoted on bahn.de and oebb.at, they always seem to be twice what I pay at the station???

Samerberg Sue, if there is a bus going up the mountain do I need to worry too much about where I stay in the village or is it better close to the Giggijoch gondola?

Sorry we have gone off the St Anton snow report theme, but as they is not opening not much to discuss at the moment! At least I'll get a refund on my XXL race entry!
snow conditions
Peter Ross, buses run through the village and are included on the ski pass. As the Giggijoch is the only up link open in the village so far, I would look to stay nearer to it.

I'm up near the Gaisloch cable car and so I will drive down to the Giggijoch each day. Parking in the village is free during the day and charged over night as far as I understand.

This is my first time staying in Sölden for over 20 years, so I really cannot say anything as all my knowledge is way out of date or buried in the mists of time! I was there for the World cup race in October and the skiing was fantastic up on the glaciers.

Sue
ski holidays
New snow above 2000M
ski holidays
Does anyone have the GFS link (wigglies) for the St Anton area?
ski holidays
Should be cold enough the next few days to get the snow cannons on the home runs 24*7.
latest report
stanton wrote:
Should be cold enough the next few days to get the snow cannons on the home runs 24*7.

Why would they start snowmaking if the lifts aren't running. Is it likely it will stay cold now so it doesn't melt?
ski holidays
It takes a few days to build up ample snowbase with snow cannons.
In St Anton temps are forecast to remain below freezing at higher levels for the foreseeable future.

http://www.wetter.at/wetter/sport-freizeit/berg-wetter/oesterreich/tirol/arlberg-galzig
snow conditions
stevev wrote:
stanton wrote:

Why would they start snowmaking if the lifts aren't running. Is it likely it will stay cold now so it doesn't melt?
#

No Snow = No lifts, I m not God/Alah
latest report
Hopefully... it should all look rather different on Tuesday morning!
ski holidays
The American Airforce Weather site normally very accurate with its forecasts.

Arlberg is on the boarder line of getting a big dump. South East Switzerland looks to be getting most.

Run the 42 hr loop

https://afweather.afwa.af.mil/cgi-bin/model_looper.cgi?6,48,3,MEURSFCS3,.GIF,6,12,4
ski holidays
Hello, sorry for being off-topic, but this seems to be the thread for people in the know about St Anton. Anyone got any recommendations of guides for off-piste boarding in St Anton? Likely to be able to get enough people together for a group of at least four. Any requirements for having avalanche safety gear? Coming over at the end of Feb/start of March. Again apologies for the deviation...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sicrates wrote:
Hello, sorry for being off-topic, but this seems to be the thread for people in the know about St Anton. Anyone got any recommendations of guides for off-piste boarding in St Anton? Likely to be able to get enough people together for a group of at least four. Any requirements for having avalanche safety gear? Coming over at the end of Feb/start of March. Again apologies for the deviation...
Piste to Powder ( http://www.pistetopowder.com/ ) are well worth talking to, Graham Austick and his team know the area very well. I also believe Ski School Arlberg ( http://www.powderclub.at/ ) offer a good service, but must admit I have never used them.

Obviously you will need avalanche gear to go off piste (and an understanding of how to use it), but you should be able to rent/borrow all that from your guide, check in advance if in doubt.

Quote:
kitenski

Does anyone have the GFS link (wigglies) for the St Anton area?

This is pretty close:

http://www.wzkarten.de/pics/MS_1047_ens.png
ski holidays
Snowing above 1600M, Snow Cannons on.

Once they have one valley (home) run completed (artificial snow) there open i.e Piste No 1.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 30-11-09 10:58; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Woop woop. As I said above, it'll start when I'm getting to resort! (leave home this afternoon, arrive in resort tomorrow)
ski holidays
Hi Stanton et al,

First trip of the season is looking like St. Anton with 3 mates for a long w/e over 11-14th Dec. Wondering if you could advise on one or two things:
- where would you recommend for cheap, clean accom? Not bothered about anything snazzy, so long as it's clean, quiet and decent location.
- Via Michellin is showing a 2hr20min drive from Zurich....does that sound about right? (obviously dependent on whether it's dumping!)

Thanks a lot in advance.
snow report
FatTobes, St Anton website has a good accommodation search, you shoudln't have any issues with anything listed on there, although be aware that some may be in remote villages.
Regarding the trip from Zurich, certainly under 2 hours unless there is particularly bad weather or heavy traffic.
latest report
FatTobes wrote:
Hi Stanton et al,

First trip of the season is looking like St. Anton with 3 mates for a long w/e over 11-14th Dec. Wondering if you could advise on one or two things:
- where would you recommend for cheap, clean accom? Not bothered about anything snazzy, so long as it's clean, quiet and decent location.
- Via Michellin is showing a 2hr20min drive from Zurich....does that sound about right? (obviously dependent on whether it's dumping!)

Thanks a lot in advance.

You wont have any problem finding accommodation in the centre that weekend. I would not book anything yet until the resort is OPEN. Not all the slopes will be open for example Rendl does not open till 18th . St Anton is pretty much a ghost town up until Xmas holidays.

All accommodations are clean

More like 2.5hrs(min) from Zurich Airport (Its been many years since I drove)
Coming by car & if it is snowing hard then use the Arlberg Tunnel because your need full winter treads & chains on the ArlbergPass, your also need to purchase an Austrian Vignette for the Autobahn.

I would take the train its much easier.

You could just show up, go to the tourist office accommodation vacancy board & find somewhere to stay.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 30-11-09 16:24; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Quote:

More like 3hrs from Zurich Airport

On the 4 occasions I've done that journey it's took less than 2 hours - and that's not going silly either. 3 hrs by train maybe, not driving.
latest report
^^wrong thread
ski holidays
red 27, yes agreed, apologies for the diversion, just trying to be helpful to FatTobes, will have to curb my enthusiasm in future
latest report
FatTobes, try sidneyreilly http://www.st-antonamarlberg.co.uk/ for rooms
snow report
Thanks all for your help; I had been looking at St Anton accom website but so much choice of accom left me a bit lost. Apologies if this took it off thread.

Bring on the snow.
snow report
Now that looks altogether much better and staying nice and cold for a few days with a little top up around Friday night maybe by the looks of things Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy