Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beware - 20 kg limit is being enforced!

Poster: A snowHead
Maybe not by all the airlines, but last week I was charged £10 by Thomas Cook for having 21kg luggage Mad

If you've got boots that'll be 5 of it gone straight away. Time to get stealthy! On the return trip I filled my hand luggage up, put items in my ski jacket pockets and had all my dirty thermals, socks, fleeces in with the skis.

It just a shame it has come to this. We pay a lot to go skiing - why can't we have a fair luggage allowance???
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
All my ski gear including boots came to 17kg last week. What do you take?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
adithorp, it's all down to individual circumstances. We used to go to a really posh hotel in courchevel so you need evening wear for each night; we also had a young daughter - up until two she had to come in on our luggage allowence - they go through loads of clothes (milk and dinner spills). Since going self catering it's a breeze. Was rather naffed off coming home last year as one of our suitcases was 23kg and the airline wouldnt allow it - despite the fact we only had two suitcases and were entitled to four! We had the last laugh though as we had actually stored a full case in an empty case as we had less stuff coming home (kids disposables and food stuff etc). The stewardess looked very confused as we put an empty case on the scales Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nothing I would consider unusual. Ski clothes, casual clothes, wash bag etc.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
owen4220, I agree with you mate, dead easy to rack up 20kg, but wear your heavy stuff, fill up your ski bag and/ or hand-luggage is my advice, the budget airlines if you book independently are just as bad as TO's, usually Swiss and Lufthansa are OK +2/3kg and youre OK, but 20kg is well enough you've just got to be frugal when packing and make sure you arent over...........remember they have special scales at airports too that weigh heavy!

BTW at 21kg I'd have been kicking-off and telling TC that was the last time you were going with them etc etc.............to55pots eh?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Shimmy Alcott, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What you need is one of these - maybe you won't need any baggage at all!

http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/Carry-on-Coat.shtml

I have a couple of their fleece's and the concept and quality are excellent - however they may look at you oddly in customs with the above coat!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
owen4220, If they are arguing over 1kg, I'd be asking to see their certificate from Weights and Measures. And if they couldn't produce it, I'd be reporting them to local trading standards on return.

I've never yet found an airport scales which matches what I've measured - but normally common sense applies and they do allow a little over.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I'd be asking to see their certificate from Weights and Measures

hear hear, I've put cases on at FRA and GVA with identical kit and been 21kg on the way out and 20kg on the way back. I'll be off to the patent office to patent my negative mass week's worth of ski perspiration. Least LH let you off with a slight deviation, and good job too, cos my scales put it at 19.995kg before I left Wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

We used to go to a really posh hotel in courchevel so you need evening wear for each night

Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bode Swiller, why is that funny? Wasnt going to turn up in my smelly fleece. Since the hard times have hit we go self catering and its so nice getting in pj's for dinner.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
owen4220 wrote:
Maybe not by all the airlines, but last week I was charged £10 by Thomas Cook for having 21kg luggage Mad

If you've got boots that'll be 5 of it gone straight away. Time to get stealthy! On the return trip I filled my hand luggage up, put items in my ski jacket pockets and had all my dirty thermals, socks, fleeces in with the skis.

why did you not just unpack 1kg and stuff your pockets etc on the way out?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
RobW wrote:
owen4220, If they are arguing over 1kg, I'd be asking to see their certificate from Weights and Measures. And if they couldn't produce it, I'd be reporting them to local trading standards on return.

I've never yet found an airport scales which matches what I've measured - but normally common sense applies and they do allow a little over.

I agree with this.

Also agree with Shimmy above about being slightly over but still overall less than your party's allowance, it is a ridiculous situation that a family cannot pool their allowance. Last week our friends, family of 5, took three bags a couple of which weighed around 23 or 24kg. They were fine and got through ok but strictly speaking they could have been charged 7kg excess despite being really underweight overall.

Again it depends on the operator with TUI you cannot pool allowances AFAIUI.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's now only 15kg on some airlines, they know you need more.

Tip : Easyjet as much weight as you want in cabin bag so long as it fits in the case measuring thingamajig
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've taken 28kg through with Swiss at LCY - I got a 'naughty boy' look but nothing else

ps holidayloverxx, makes a good point - sod dignity, stuff 1kgs worth of underpants in your pockets, but no way give the devils £10 extra
snow conditions
Swiss at City are quite flexible, probably all the business travelers without much luggage and the relatively few (at least in the week) of us with ski gear...
snow conditions
colincrist wrote:
Swiss at City are quite flexible, probably all the business travelers without much luggage and the relatively few (at least in the week) of us with ski gear...

That and probably the fact that they train their employees in good customer service, unlike the budget airlines who are trained to screw every last penny out of you.
latest report
colincrist, figures. Very Happy
snow report
Try going away for two weeks +, they dont take that into account on your luggage allowance. But our mian hold bags still only weighed in around 15kg each going out last year. We do have ski and boot bags too.

Remember checking in for a flight a few years ago with boots and skis, as we were walking away heard the lady tell her colleague to 'watch the weight of boot bags' as ours were around 12 kg each Toofy Grin ( think we were flying to Chambery with a 15kg limit on bags) Got to get the stuff there somehow Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
This website ( http://www.onebag.com/ ) has lots of ideas on how to reduce the amount of stuff you need to take when travelling.
snow report
I think (but don't know for sure) that one reason why you can't do "group allowances" is because bags over a certain weight need to be handled differently. Taken to extremes if you turned up with one bag for 4 people weighing 80kg it would be a little difficult to move around. 20kg is already a significant weight to be moving around if you can't use the wheels...
snow report
sweaman2, shouldn't matter as long as bag is not over 32kg which is maximum weight in UK for baggage handlers.
ski holidays
I always remember my buddy getting stung by ryanair for a couple of kilo and tne look on his face when he realised he was at least 20 kg less than me in body mass. makes itclear how much of a money grabbing farce it is.
ski holidays
Hmm. We're cheapskates at paying air fares - yet we want luggage allowance as in the days of yore. If you want to evening dress for dinner, best send on your luggage ahead, and arrive at the Alps by altiport. For lesser mortals, 20kg - including helmet, boots, shovel and probe - is adequate.
snow report
1kg's nothing a strategically placed foot can't compensate for...
snow report
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
adithorp, it's all down to individual circumstances. We used to go to a really posh hotel in courchevel so you need evening wear for each night; we also had a young daughter - up until two she had to come in on our luggage allowence
I know and a two year old can weigh a good few kilos, before U know it, you've a bag full of toddler and no allowance left for the ball-gown.
snow report
Easyjet check-in at Liverpool told us they're no longer allowing 2 travellers to aggregate their luggage. If one has 21kg and the other has (say) 18kg, still have to pay 1kg extra for the heavyweight Sad We didn't.
snow report
Easyjet now allow the "combined weight" ruling which is good. So if there was 3 of you as long as the 3 bags weighed 60kg or less they would allow it. I always wear my heavy stuff when I go skiing. Wear a t shirt and fleece, also put on my big ski coat with stuff in the pockets, you can always take your coat off and carry it on the plane, every little helps and all that!!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just wear all your snow gear, look really really fat - then put your helmet on Smile - under weight everytime! Razz
latest report
owen4220 wrote:
Nothing I would consider unusual. Ski clothes, casual clothes, wash bag etc.

By your wash items in resort.
latest report
In the early days of flying, when weight was a real issue on aircraft, skiers wore their ski boots on the plane. Probably can't now because of "health & safety".

Take only enough shampoo, shower gel, contact lens fluid, etc for the week is small plastic "travel" bottles. I always have a toothpaste tube that has only enough toothpaste for a week or two in my bathroom cabinet for going away.

Once it was the check in staff who suggested I move gear from my suitcase into my solid plastic ski carrier to get under the allowance. Luckily I arrived early and didn't hold up too many other passengers as I re arranged my gear at the front of the check in queue.

When a ceratin airline starts charging fares based the combined weight of the passenger & their luggage then the fun will begin.
ski holidays
welshflyer wrote:
In the early days of flying, when weight was a real issue on aircraft, skiers wore their ski boots on the plane. Probably can't now because of "health & safety".

I saw a chap wearing ski boots on a flight from GVA to EMA in 2008.
snow report
Fly Swiss - 20kg AND a Ski bag that you can pack full - and a friend who was 6kg over (no ski bag) was allowed through no probs.
ski holidays
Also I bought some bathroom scales yesterday, solely to check our luggage weight. I have never felt the need to do this before. Thanks for the huge increase in anxiety with all the threads on this subject recently, snowHeads!
snow conditions
Nadenoodlee, but beware an overweight ski bag even if the other bag is well under - IIRC that's the reason sideshow_bob had to re-pack (flying Swiss) at Geneva following the EoSB.
snow report
Quote:

stuff 1kgs worth of underpants in your pockets

Be careful on the way back, might offend your fellow travellers Laughing
snow report
A light bag/case helps. I was amazed at how much our cheapo empty cases weighed, takes up a fair chunk of the allowance.
snow conditions
Cut the buttons off your clothes and put them in the pockets Very Happy
snow report
Actual good tip for anyone taking a baby with a buggy with them. Stuff loads of things in the shopping hammock thingy where the raincover normally lives. You walk the buggy down the concourse and hand it directly to a baggage handler, so it never gets weighed or even particularly looked at.
snow conditions
Can I just confirm that when booking, it says somewhere that the luggage limit is 20kg? And yet you saw fit to take more than this, and then moan that they ask you to pony up cash?

What makes you so special that the rules don't apply to you?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy