Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is it better to wear Goggles or Sunglasses?

Poster: A snowHead
Being a fella who could over heat while standing naked in a freezer, I always used to struggle with goggles steaming up, so was a sunnies all the way person. It was either that or steamed up blindness. Haopily I was told the secret to steam free googles, leaving them drying out, lense down (on cover to stop scratching) over night, never in their covers. I can now see where the hell I'm going and very little steaming up. Still over heating in the freezer though - think my flatmates are getting a bit fed up of finding me in there though!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Could always have the best of both worlds

I ski in a pair of Bolle OTG goggles with light coloured lenses. No eye watering and I'm not a "gaper" with my helmet on. On brighter days I can wear sunnies under them. Or normally I wear my glasses under them so I can see better (I'm lucky in that I'm only just short sighted, so if its bright I dont need to wear glasses)

I think the secret is good goggles and keep them clean so they dont fog and once on dont take off (apart from at lunch) lifting them off your face changes their temperature and they fog.

We have the same problem mountain biking, most folks prefer glasses though so there are a lot of cycling specific glasses with huge leneses (oakley radar etc) thay almost act as goggles and stop your eyes watering
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Welcome to Snowheads Bootyinthesnow - Love Dad
However, referring to my impeccable skiing technique as "Skiing like a turtle" is NOT going to improve your chances of receiving funding for this year's trip.

I take it all back. You are a speed demon of truly incredible standards and I can only hope in my wildest dreams to ski as fast and as stylishly as you.

Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
As befits my daughter you have incredible taste, judgement of character and respect for your elder(s). Smile Toofy Grin There's hope for you yet. snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Goggles suck.

They look rubbish.

They restrict spatial awareness.

They can steam up.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sunglasses and helmet combination is definitively a major fashion faux pas. You will be laughed off the piste or removed by the fashion police. Sunglasses can only be worn in conjunction with a bandanna and gold medal on gold chain.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Some people seem to think that goggles can only look cool.

If only that were so!! (clicky)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I quite agree about the cycling glasses. Mine are my favourite eye wear for skiing.

I wonder if any people who ski so fast that they have to wear goggles also wear their goggles out on their road bikes Laughing

Here's a weird thing... when you first put on yellow cycling glasses or red/orange lens goggles at first everything appears that colour. Within a few minutes your brain adapts the signals and everyth appears normal colours again. If you take off your yellow glasses everything appears much darker. Very strange.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bar shaker, I tend to go a lot faster a lot more of the time on my skis than my road bike. It also tends to be a lot colder when I'm skiing. Fast skiing when it's cold makes my eyes water, no matter what cycling-type of sunglasses I'm wearing (tried Briko Stingers, Oakley jackets, M-frames, Radars). If it's warm and sunny then no problem, I'll ski in sunglasses, otherwise it's goggles for me.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lechbob, lid & shades is me...didn't realise I'm an outcast. I've binned my season pass, couldn't bare the stigma any longer.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sideshow_Bob, I have worn my Armstrong Blades when flying my flexwing microlight. They are good for almost 100mph.
*edit to add* I do hold onto them when looking around though!

allanm, I too have worn shades with my helmet, completely unaware of what a total t*sser I must have looked.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bar shaker, I've missed the point complety, sking is obviously all about looks,
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
allanm, Me too, but then I tend to board these days. I will probably go back to skiing one day, so should probably keep up with what's in and what's out.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I used to swap about on sunny/cloudy days a few years ago until I bought a pair of Yodais with LST trails: very comfortable, excellent peripheral vision and lenses, right amount of venting. Now the sunnies are reserved for MTBing only...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
True freeriders only wear goggles -Italians wear shades-nuff said Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Of all the one-liner by Whitegold, this is the lamest! Smile

As I noticed earlier, you've got the wrong goggle for it to steam up or block out peripheral vision. Loser! wink
snow report
I'm myself using goggles for long and i've never had problem with them . They r much better to use as compared with sunglasses in this scenario.
snow report
good goggles never steam up.there are no peripheral vision issues with good goggles.spend some money and get good goggles.NEVER wear sunglasses.ALWAYS wear goggles.sunglasses bawhahahahahahaha,bawhahahahahahaha
snow report
I wear goggles all the time, no matter the weather. Different pairs for varying light conditions.
latest report
anneeoo9, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead Launch right in with a bold and bald statement; that's the style!
snow conditions
anneeoo9, Welcome... Goggles... but Why??? There's literally no one (bar the I must wear goggles brigade - tiny majority) wearing goggles out here now (Les Arcs), nor in the last couple of weeks. 95% ish - give or take - are wearing sunnies. My cycling sunnies are better in low light - by far - than yellow goggles, the only time I'll change is when it's dumping, then you do need goggles, granted.

snowpatrol, No peripheral vision restriction???? B.

arv, buy one pair of decent sunnies, as above. You won't be disapointed.
ski holidays
allanm, I have numerous pairs. This is a debate which will never be settled but I have extensively used goggles and sunglasses coming to the conclusion that (good) goggles are far better than (good) sunglasses.

I don't have any peripheral vision problems with my goggles either, it just isn't an issue. Just because ''no one'' is wearing goggles doesn't mean you shouldn't rolling eyes
latest report
I've completed 1 week of downhill and 1 week of touring in the ESS Advancer V12 goggles pictured on page 1 and I can report they work well. They do steam up a little when skinning hard on a day with no breeze but that often clears with a change in direction.
snow conditions
allanm, you mustnt ski hard or you would know why sunglasses are not an option.they are also a massive fashion faux pas.i think "the 95% of skiers in les arc" who wear them should attend some self awareness courses
snow conditions
snowpatrol wrote:
sunglasses ... are also a massive fashion faux pas

Laughing Laughing
latest report
Definitely sunnies for me. I really don't like goggles and only have them for the grottiest of conditions when in fairness I'd probably rather be in the bar anyway...
snow conditions
I hate wearing goggles and will only wear them if its snowing, low light or very cold.

Its the reduction in peripheral vision that i dislike so much and i've never found any that get round that.

I wear high water content lenses like some of the previous posters, and with decent wrap around sunglasses i've never had any issues with frozen lenses or streaming eyes.

and yes, that does include skiing fast.
ski holidays
Quote:

"the 95% of skiers in les arc" who wear them should attend some self awareness courses

rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
arv, As an example, try skiing switch with goggles and then sunnies - which is easier? Simply seeing is hard enough without cricking your neck. But totally agree it's up to you what to wear, just because you're in a minority, certainly in the 'better' weather, doesn't mean goggles are 'wrong' - and most don't ski switch, granted.

snowpatrol, Yes, I probably ski like a complete pansy compared to your good self. If speed is the issue, though, as in 'ski hard' then, although most can ski 100+ KPH down a groomed piste, we probably all ski at a fraction of that speed off piste, where, admittedly, I have spent most of my time this year.

lower, Been wearing daily disposables and wrap around sunnies this season, absolutely magic, no freezing, streaming OR steaming up.
ski holidays
allanm,i ski hard off piste and on..absolutely flat out all the time..now back to the subject at hand..what is your point please?
snow report
snowpatrol,

My point was that sunnies, IMHO, are an option, and a very good one, you inferred that if I skied 'hard' they would not be an option.
latest report
allanm, my point is that i just dont get sunglasses and dont see them as an option when a quality pair of goggles are superior in all conditions..you have ignored my other point about them being a massive fashion faux pas.."wrap around sunnies"..bawhahahahahahaha,bawhahahahahahaha
snow conditions
snowpatrol wrote:
allanm, my point is that i just dont get sunglasses and dont see them as an option when a quality pair of goggles are superior in all conditions.

Not everybody finds that to be so.

But it wasn't the point you were making, regardless of what you intended. You were saying that sunglasses just weren't an option at all when skiing hard. Everybody's eyes are different, and for some people, they can still ski very hard with glasses and no problems. Others can't even manage gentle skiing with glasses without their eyes streaming.

Quote:

.you have ignored my other point about them being a massive fashion faux pas.."wrap around sunnies"..bawhahahahahahaha,bawhahahahahahaha

Well that is obviously just opinion, so there is no argument that can be made.

It is an opinion probably not shared by many, but TBH, not many skiers are all that concerned about "fashion". It is more important to be comfortable for your style of skiing than to look good.
ski holidays
alex_heney,good points well presented
latest report
alex_heney, snowpatrol,

Quote:

Everybody's eyes are different, and for some people, they can still ski very hard with glasses and no problems. Others can't even manage gentle skiing with glasses without their eyes streaming.

Yup, totally agree - we're all different.... I'll just add to that, that I've had less (or no problems at all) since I started wearing contacts with sunnies, as opposed to the prescription sunnies I wore last year - guess I must be lucky. 'Just for the record' I do still use goggles if it's dumping or other wise very inclement.
snow report
The key to skiing in goggles, is to go fast enough to produce enough air flow to clear the fog on the inside! Seriously though I much prefer goggles, in all conditions, as it means I can wear my normal prescription specs. Have tried scrip shades and they're never as good. But, as said above everybody's eyes are different and you just have to find what suits you.
snow conditions
In reply to the post heading, it IS better to wear goggles. I don't go in for any of this "whatever you prefer" nonsense.

Out of interest, I just compared my goggles to my sun glasses. There is a difference in peripheral vision in favour of the glasses but it is as minimal as makes no difference.

Goggles are less prone to dislodge in a crash
Goggles protect your eyes in the event of a high speed face-plant
Googles allow you to go FAST without contact lens/watery eye worries
Goggles are essential in deep powder or bad overhead conditions
Goggles keep your face warm
and the felty foam feels nice against my skin...

Goggles all the way!
ski holidays
what he said ^^^^^^^^^
latest report
what he said ^^^^^^^^^
latest report
Multiple choice
A. Always wear goggles.
B. Always wear sunglasses.
C. Wear sunglasses or goggles according to conditions/fashion/which ones you've just lost/what Santa gave you for Christmas...
D. Wear sunglasses and goggles at the same time.
E. Never wear neither in sunlight and snow

End of thread. Let's talk about helmets. Cool
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy