Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is it better to wear Goggles or Sunglasses?

Poster: A snowHead
Another good first post there from bootyinthesnow. We've had a few of those lately. It must be some kind of 'internet karma' to counteract those "tv going downhill with the Zabban Landmark in!" ones.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My first post snowHead

I signed up just so I could reply to this thread!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bootyinthesnow, you've got it nicely worked out! Laughing
Welcome to SnowHeads!
Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
bootyinthesnow, welcome to snowHeads. I prefer to wear sunglasses when I can, but always carry goggles with me for snow/wind/cold. My eyes water a lot, but that's no problem, my gas-permeable lenses get a nice hose-down and it's easy to blink away the tears. (I wonder if most of the lens-wearers on this thread wear soft ones?)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Sunglasses and helmet - defo no no.

OMG, I'm in the process of persuading myself to start wearing a helmet, I dont ski off piste but I do go pretty fast. I hate goggles, mine are Bolle and I paid enough for them but they always steam up. Shall I start a new thread "Are sunnies and helmets unacceptable on the slopes?"
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Goggles or sunglasses.....

Only 1 way to decide.....

Fight!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
HH wrote:
Shall I start a new thread "Are sunnies and helmets unacceptable on the slopes?"

Do a search, there are quite a few already!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm soft. It's actually only happened once (lenses frozen to the eyes ) but we normally ski later in the season so much warmer.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar,

what was the conclusion?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
HH wrote:
rob@rar,

what was the conclusion?

Laughing there's never a conclusion to debates like that!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
HH,
Quote:

Shall I start a new thread "Are sunnies and helmets unacceptable on the slopes?"

No, don't bother, the subject's been done to death. For those that feel strongly about the subject at all (I don't) the answer is 'yes, it is totally unacceptable to wear sunnies with helmets.'
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ah, well, then if its not cut and dried then I might stand a chance of not getting chucked off the slopes if I do decide to risk it...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you're skiing in "proper" conditions the answer is goggles, if you're a fair weather charlie ("or spring tourer) then do what you want.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

"Are sunnies and helmets unacceptable on the slopes?"

Truly unacceptable, you like a middle aged german with that combo, get a riddiculous tan line and surely the glasses wouldn't be very comfy with a halmet on.

I never wear sunglasses as i was under the impression that only squares wore them when i was deciding what to buy before i my first ski trip. If you're looking for a decent pair of goggles the ones that came free with fall line ski mag only steamed momentarily when i accidently found myself on a cross country ski track and even then it was only for a second.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rambotion,
Quote:

a riddiculous tan line

And a tan line from goggles covering half your face isn't ridiculous?
snow report
Goggles for me - sunglasses for sitting outside the restaurant at lunchtime Very Happy
snow report
Don't care if it's "totally unacceptable" - been doing so for the past 4 days.

Why the hell would I wear goggles when it's so hot????
ski holidays
bootyinthesnow, Welcome! I've started to wear (as yourself, high water) contacts this season and have stuck to shades in good conditions, don't ski particularity slow (clocked at 89KP not so long ago) with less problems than I had with specs. Just goes to show that we are all different, I was well worried about the combinations of shades and contacts, but they seem to suit ME perfectly with absolutely no problems.
snow conditions
Your all woosies,

I like to board with just the naked eye exposed to the elements and then walk around bumping into large austrian blokes in the clubs later due to snow blindness and knocking there pints over just for the laugh!

British and proud!
ski holidays
oakley a frame with vr-28 lens, sorted.
latest report
Goggles pretty well all the time these days. My eyes water otherwise, if skiing at speed.
snow conditions
I think what this thread mainly shows is that some of us like to ski really fast, and others like to pretend that they do.

Sunglasses indeed!
ski holidays
If I wear sunnies when skiing properly (i.e. not with a little line of children behind me/on the kids park), my eyes stream constantly. With goggles, my eyeballs are all snug and protected and don't stream.

On the kids park where I work, the acceptable look of choice seems to be goggles perched on the top of the helmet, sunnies on. Leaving the helmet undone is also commonplace, although I've never understood that? I think its possibly because there's really no need to wear a helmet when skiing at less than 1 mph, but ski school have made it compulsary for all instructors....however I personally have never found the strap doing up my helmet hugely uncomfortable...
snow report
I hate goggles.
I find them claustophobic and unecessary except in heavy wet snow or seriously cold temperatures. I'm not really sure what their main purpose is other than fashion ? In sunny weather i think they look daft Cool
snow report
paulio, Mmmmmmm...
latest report
I can see a load of magical bunnies frollicking through a field in front of my very eyes.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 22-01-09 22:55; edited 1 time in total
snow report
And there's a rainbow! I only just noticed that.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 22-01-09 22:55; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
paulio, Blimey, now there's some imagination.. do you use that with all your posts??
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes.
snow conditions
paulio, LOL! wish I'd taken a screenshot of your last post before it was...er.. edited!
ski holidays
I'm really sorry about that. I think I went about an inch too far.
latest report
paulio, I see semi naked women clad in lace basques (they should be allowed their freedom) writhing and touching each other in inappropriate ways Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
paulio, Only in your imagination, but then you ski fast.
ski holidays
paulio wrote:
I'm really sorry about that. I think I went about an inch too far.

An inch is as good as a mile... at least as far as most Crown Court cases go Laughing
ski holidays
allanm wrote:
paulio, Only in your imagination, but then you ski fast.

Yes but it was your eyes that were watering.

Oh for goodness' sake, none of this matters since I removed those posts anyway.

Would it surprise anyone to learn that I have recently enjoyed an abundance of fine ale?
snow report
paulio,
Quote:

Would it surprise anyone to learn that I have recently enjoyed an abundance of fine ale?
No, but you're funny with it. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
It's all about FIT!

If you get a wrap-around sunglasses that fits your face shape, it'll block the wind fine. Like the one I cycle with, I go down the hill at 20-40 mph often and there's no problem with wind.

I can wear the same glasses for skiing and wind won't bother me. On the other hand, at over US$100, I'd hate to lose it in the fresh powder if I take a tumble. On a snowy day, there's also the steaming problem whenever I stop, which I never have with goggle. Granted, it's not much of a problem as long as I keep moving...

So, as you can guess, I wear goggle more often than not. When it "mates" well with the helmet, it is much warmer than sunglasses. One need to be careful in choosing the goggle though. It needs to fit the shape of the face closely so you don't get any steaming or wind seeping in. And it also need to fit the shape of the helmet so there's no gap for the cold wind to get in.

I think for many of those who say goggle doesn't work as well as sunglasses or vice versa, it's neither the sunglasses nor goggle, it's just you got the wrong one for your face.
snow report
Would it surprise anyone to learn that I am currently not enjoying a bit of a headache and a grotty tummy?
snow conditions
paulio, wink
snow report
bootyinthesnow wrote:
paulio wrote:
Goggles always, unless you only ski/board really slowly, like a turtle.

I'm the daughter Craghopper refers to in his original post! And having read all your responses I think I've identified the root of our original disagreement...

1. I agree with joydivision. I ski. And fast. And wear high water content contact lenses - so sunglasses are no good if my eyes are going to water
2. I sometimes ski off-piste - again sunnies no good for me if I might potentially be landing on my bum and losing them. I also don't fancy lacerating my eyeball like Atlis' (friends) friend
3. I also hate frozen lenses being stuck to my eyeball, like HH mentions. Tad uncomfortable (eurgh!)

Overall I think I'm in the same position as skimum and have found a pair of goggles that feel right and solve all the above issues!

I think we can also deduce from all this that my Dad skis like a turtle.

Love you Dad NehNeh Laughing

Welcome to Snowheads Bootyinthesnow - Love Dad Laughing
However, referring to my impeccable skiing technique as "Skiing like a turtle" is NOT going to improve your chances of receiving funding for this year's trip. Shocked Toofy Grin The Royal Bank of Mum and Dad has standards to maintain - and only lends to those with impeccable credit records so you're on dodgy ground already. rolling eyes rolling eyes
Byeeeee!!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy