Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is it better to wear Goggles or Sunglasses?

Poster: A snowHead
I prefer wearing sunglasses in sunny conditions Cool and keep the goggles for cloudy/claggy days with little visibility or contrast. My daughter reckons that I should stick to goggles the whole time; I'll get used to the lack of sideways visibility and will see better overall. I currently have some amber/yellow polarising goggles.

Who's right or are there better options? Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sunny - Sunglasses.

Cloudy - Lighter sunglasses

Snowing and foggy - Goggles.

Snowboarders always wear goggles as it seems to be part of the "look". Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Craghopper, Why on earth should you stick to goggles??? - Totally agree with you, I wear shades in good conditions and yellow goggles in poor light/conditions. I hate the lack of peripheral vision with goggles and, realistically, they are only a tad better than a good pair of shades. It's personal preference though.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't know if there is a right or wrong. I used to follow Trenmold's suggestion approximately, but now I wear goggles more as they fit better with my helmet. I think it's an each to their own thing. Colour of lens is pretty important though, for bright and bad light days.

D
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My kids both prefer goggs at all times (when they're skiing), can't imagine why. I use them as seldom as poss., adopting the Trenmold Rules. I now have a pair of sunglasses with a sort of pink lens cover for bad light, so I hope to reduce gogg usage further.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Get the right goggles and there is no lack of peripheral vision - eg Adidas Yodai. I always wear goggles but mainly because of my contact lenses not agreeing with sunglasses. When its cold goggles are warmer as they cover more of the face. But wear whatever you are comfortable with - there's no right or wrong is there? Confused
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cathy, there must be a definitive right or wrong, surely. Probably several.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
richmond, you're right. This is snowHeads after all! Therefore I am right and people who don't wear goggles all the time are wrong. There - I feel much better now Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I always wear sunnies unless its snowing. However did do a really long run in ADH quite quickly earlier this month and I swear my contact lenses froze to my eyeballs for a couple of seconds. OUCH! (dont really know if lenses can freeze but it sure felt like it).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Shocked
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I agree with cathy, I used to wear sunnies on good days, but as I progressed and got faster, I found that sunnies didn't protect my contact lenes enough from the wind....so I got a pair of goggles with decent peripheral vision (another thumbs up for the Addidas Yodai) and I wear them all the time now.....but I'm a boarder, so its probably part of my look..... rolling eyes
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I wear sunglasses whatever the conditions.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Elizabeth B wrote:
I wear sunglasses whatever the conditions.

I bet you bump into lots of things at night. NehNeh Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Goggles always, unless you only ski/board really slowly, like a turtle.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You look really stupid wearing sunnies and a helmet Shocked
ski holidays
Quote:

Get the right goggles and there is no lack of peripheral vision - eg Adidas Yodai. I always wear goggles but mainly because of my contact lenses not agreeing with sunglasses. When its cold goggles are warmer as they cover more of the face. But wear whatever you are comfortable with - there's no right or wrong is there?

I came in to say exactly this. I used to switch between goggles and shades until I got a pair of Yodai's. Now I use an orange lens for days with low light and a dark shade for sunny days. Its all personal preference, but I much prefer the feeling of goggles, and the Yodais are so good that you lose very little in peripheral vision.
snow report
Goggles until bartime...sorry lunchtime....and then goggles again (beer goggles) Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Actually I do have a pair of Northface Thin Airs which have a removable foam frame and elasticated clips to keep the glasses/gogs in place. Best of both worlds.

snow conditions
I wear googles always, but I could really do with a lighter tint for cloudy days and late afternoon. At one point last week I did my best eddie the eagle impression as I catapulted off the top of a mogul I didn't see until the very last minute. Skiing in the dark is not fun.
ski holidays
Hold-ups or stockings? Cool personal choice surely. No right or wrong answer but totally agree with Trenmold, then revert back to beer goggles for thea apres
latest report
Goggles at all times for me - like others I have yet to find sunglasses which prevent my lens from drying out
snow report
And I wear lenses too. But I have never had a problem with lenses drying out even though I do have 'dry eyes' - low tear flow. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
I once spent a week in Tignes with a group who all wore expensive goggles with swapable lenses. Apparently, one of their mates, while skiing with sunglasses, fell over and pushed a load of snow up inside them. He managed to lacerate the front of his eyeballs - an injury for which there is no repair.

Last year I managed to find some cheap ESS Advancer V12 goggles with interchangable lenses. These can, supposedly, stop a 22 bullet. They look good with adjustable ventilation but I've not had chance to try them yet.

snow report
Only someone who skis on piste could ask the diffrence between sunnis and goggles. If you are in the pow it is always goggles
snow conditions
altis wrote:
I once spent a week in Tignes with a group who all wore expensive goggles with swapable lenses. Apparently, one of their mates, while skiing with sunglasses, fell over and pushed a load of snow up inside them. He managed to lacerate the front of his eyeballs - an injury for which there is no repair.

I'd been led to believe that eyeball tissue was the fastest-healing thing in the entire body. Also, I once inadvertently punched my grandfather in the face when I was a small child, and made his eyeball bleed. It got better, and he's fine.

But yes, sunglasses tend to be a bit more smashable, and have bits of glass and metal and stuff. If you're in the habit (as I am) of frequently falling onto your face, I should think goggles are a tad safer.
ski holidays
I always wear goggles when I wear a helmet, i.e. 95% of the time, but rarely when I don't wear a helmet and it is sunny I'll pop the sunnies on. Sunglasses and helmet - defo no no.
ski holidays
All about the gogs. Get a couple of pairs (one for sunny conditions, the other for cloud, fog, etc) and you don't even need to bother changing lenses. Nothing more satisfying than coming back from your ski hols with ridiculous goggle marks....
snow report
I used to swap back and forward between sunnies and goggles, not really happy with either........with sunnies I found my eyes watered and I felt claustrophobic in goggles (oakley A frames). I now use Bolle gogs (not sure what they're called but they're big) with a rose tinted lens, the peripheral vision is excellent and I'm much happier in them and hardly ever use sunglasses. I know it's got to be down to personal preference but in my experience there are conditions when goggles are a must!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whatever, just remember to whip 'em off when you're on the chairlift cos you get stoopid panda tan with either.

Or is a gogg tan also part of the "look" for boarders?
snow report
paulio wrote:
I once inadvertently punched my grandfather in the face when I was a small child, and made his eyeball bleed. It got better, and he's fine.

Paulio's grampa looks fine.
ski holidays
LOL at Richmond Laughing

I use sunglasses when its sunny, I use my cycling glasses for when its grey/overcast (with yellow lenses) and my goggles when its snowing or bitterly cold.

The cycling glasses have tinted, yellow and clear lenses and wrap around well, keeping wind out of your eyes. The plastic lenses pop out easily and they are also rated as safety glasses. I use a pair for work too. The yellow lenses are superb and give much better contrast and terrain perspective than the clear lenses, which I save for when I have stayed out too late and its getting dark.

I don't get on with goggles. If I'm going for it, they steam up and especially so when I get on a lift after a blast down. They are Bloc's and are only mediocre quality, albeit double glazed and comfy.

I saw a really nice 'fire glass' pair of Bolle gogs in Cham at Christmas, but could bring myself to pay €159 for them.
snow conditions
Craghopper, What ever you like is the answer.
latest report
Quote:

Goggles always, unless you only ski/board really slowly, like a turtle

Quote:

Only someone who skis on piste could ask the diffrence between sunnis and goggles. If you are in the pow it is always goggles

Some real bow-locks being talked by some people on here.

It's mainly about fashion. When I first started skiing in the mid '80s, goggles were much cooler. Then in the early '90s sunglasses became much cooler. Now goggles are much cooler again. An awful lot of people with "all the gear but no idea" tend to wear goggles to go with their helmets even on a sunny day, and if they're happy then that's fine. But virtually all instructors and guides will be wearing sunglasses unless they're in a whiteout.

I happen to much prefer sunglasses, and use them when skiing off-piste or at very high speed with no problems (and I wear contacts).
snow report
Plake wrote:
An awful lot of people with "all the gear but no idea" tend to wear goggles to go with their helmets even on a sunny day, and if they're happy then that's fine. But virtually all instructors and guides will be wearing sunglasses unless they're in a whiteout.

Plenty of reasons to wear goggles on a sunny day which have nothing to do with fashion, if you ski at speed for example. All the instructors I know seem to prefer sunglasses when teaching, but most seem to stick goggles on if they're skiing at their own pace. I much prefer the comfort of sunglasses but wear goggles most of the time because they are more functional.
ski holidays
Plake wrote:
Quote:

Goggles always, unless you only ski/board really slowly, like a turtle

It's mainly about fashion.

No it's because if I go above about 15mph in sunglasses the wind makes my eyes fill up with tears to such an extent that I'm effectively blind.

If you had ever seen me in real life, you would realise how ridiculous it is to suggest that I do anything for fashion reasons.
snow conditions
bar shaker wrote:

I don't get on with goggles. If I'm going for it, they steam up ....

Same here... rolling eyes
But of course they are needed when it's snowing, so I put up with them.
Also my problem is that my sunglasses have prescription lenses for distance viewing, so I prefer to wear them in all weather....(so as to see where I'm going! Shocked wink )
ski holidays
Although like Julieanne says, goggles steam up at any opportunity. It's a bit of a no-win situation this 'eyewear' thing, eh.
latest report
Googles don't stream up if you buy decent ones. The only time it happens to me is if I mistakenly put them on my head for a long bubble ride.
snow report
paulio wrote:
Goggles always, unless you only ski/board really slowly, like a turtle.

I'm the daughter Craghopper refers to in his original post! And having read all your responses I think I've identified the root of our original disagreement...

1. I agree with joydivision. I ski. And fast. And wear high water content contact lenses - so sunglasses are no good if my eyes are going to water
2. I sometimes ski off-piste - again sunnies no good for me if I might potentially be landing on my bum and losing them. I also don't fancy lacerating my eyeball like Atlis' (friends) friend
3. I also hate frozen lenses being stuck to my eyeball, like HH mentions. Tad uncomfortable (eurgh!)

Overall I think I'm in the same position as skimum and have found a pair of goggles that feel right and solve all the above issues!

I think we can also deduce from all this that my Dad skis like a turtle.

Love you Dad NehNeh Laughing
ski holidays
bootyinthesnow, welcome to snowHeads Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy