Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Greenpeace sum up the prospects for skiing in a changing climate: "Take action"

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
International environmental group Greenpeace have issued an assessment of the prospects for skiing in a warming world. "Take action" they suggest to skiers, warning of various threats to the sport. These include temperatures too warm to make snow economically, shrinking glaciers, and a wasteful quest to develop high-altitude ski areas...

The report sums up the prospects for the various ski regions of the world. Click here to read it.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 14-01-05 17:59; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David Goldsmith, I find it most interesting that the article ends with "Let's take a mountain by mountain look at what is actually happening" and proceeds to go through all the main skiing countries, including Australia, but fails to mention France or New Zealand at all.
Nothing to do with a certain incident in Auckland Harbour ? Confused
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
NEWSFLASH: Potato farmers say "potatoes are good for you." Move along now please, nothing to see here ...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
Possibly, but that solution doesn't take into account the fact that the availability of water for making snow may be more limited in future

If it's a 'fact' that water 'may be' more limited, it's also a fact that it may not be.
Quote:
It's not just less snow, fewer glaciers and warmer temperatures that are the problems - climate change brings with it unpredictable weather events and melting snow which can cause landslides. In 1999 the 'avalanche winter' in Switzerland damaged 20 ski lifts, 11 chair-lifts, 4 cable railways and 1 funicular, costing up to US$130 million.

So if there's too little snow, it's down to global warming, and if there's too much snow, it's down to global warming.

Typical woolly thinking from Greenpeace.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
laundryman, I don't quite see it in those terms. To sum up, the theory seems to be that the balance has been upset, provoking a number of side-effects, some of which (may) cancel each other out... or they may not. The pendulum, have been given a man-made shove, could swing either way. I'm not sure that anything other than "woolly thinking" would be very honest, in the circumstances Confused
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
PG, I agree absolutely that nothing is clear cut in this area. It's just that it seems to me that the Greenpeace crowd will portray any observations as backing up beliefs which seem almost religious. Of course people with wholly opposite beliefs often do the same. I find it very difficult to take zealots seriously in these kind of complex areas. However, if someone says something like "on the one hand facts 1 and 2 leads us to suppose X, but fact 3 implies the opposite, so on balance we think it prudent to plan on the basis that X is happening", then I sit up and take notice.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quite agree. But many people will have switched off by the time you get to 1 and 2 leading to X. Going by 'new politics', the voting public can only swallow facts in "soundbite" sizes these days.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PG, I know, the public is patronised left, right and centre these days. It makes me spitting mad. I'll just have to carry on taking the tablets wink

On the optimistic side, I think the Internet could be developing into the antidote to the mass media, for those who are prepared to seek out rational debate -- e.g. on snowHeads snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jonpim wrote:
David Goldsmith, I find it most interesting that the article ends with "Let's take a mountain by mountain look at what is actually happening" and proceeds to go through all the main skiing countries, including Australia, but fails to mention France or New Zealand at all.
Nothing to do with a certain incident in Auckland Harbour ? Confused

As far as New Zealnd goes, the silence may be due to galcier(s) there expanding - scroll down to wards bottom here.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
A report on global warming and its implications for skiing, based on research by Meteo France's 'Centre d'Etude de la Neige, has just been posted on the Piste Hors site. Here's their News intro. and the report itself.
This study is particularly valuable if you want to get a handle on the snow drought this winter, in perspective to the 1988-90 years - which make current conditions look pretty good!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." - John 8:32

Quote:
There Is NO Man-Made Global Warming

"There is no scientific evidence to back claims of man-made global warming. Period. Anyone who tells you that scientific research shows warming trends—be they teachers, newscasters, Congressmen, Senators, Vice Presidents or Presidents—is wrong. In fact, scientific research through U.S. government satellite and balloon measurements shows that the temperature is actually cooling—very slightly—.037 degrees Celsius."

So now you know. The truth according to God and Tom DeWeese, President of the American Policy Center. To get your facts straight, take a look at his article - part one of a five-parter - at http://www.webcommentary.com/asp/ShowArticle.asp?id=deweeset&date=050117

Tom Weese sums himself up as follows:
Quote:

"In 1988 Tom established the American Policy Center and began working on several foreign policy issues concerning Latin America and Africa. In 1989 Tom led the only privately-funded American election-observation team for the Panamanian elections. In 1992 Tom DeWeese became passionately involved in the fight for the preservation of American private property rights and against intrusive environmental regulations. He is also a recognized leader in the fight to preserve American national sovereignty from intrusive United Nations’ policies on global governance.

Under the leadership of Tom DeWeese, APC has joined the fight to rescue American education from federal intrusion and behavior-modification programs like Goals 2000, School-to-Work and Outcome-based Education. Most recently APC has become involved in the fight for American privacy rights against intrusive government data banks, particularly in opposition to the establishment of a national identification card.

Since 1995, Tom has served as Editor in Chief of The DeWeese Report. He makes regular appearances on radio and television talk shows and has had articles published in several national publications. In 1999 he was accepted as a life member in the National Registry of Who’s Who.

For over 31 years Tom DeWeese has been a businessman, grassroots activist, writer and publisher. As such, he has always advocated a firm belief in man’s need to keep moving forward while protecting Constitutionally-guaranteed rights of property and individual freedom."
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy