Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snokart have a sale. Anyone got their ski bag? Any good?

Poster: A snowHead
I am looking to get a ski bag before March. I have the thinnest cheapest Ellis Brigham one which is ok in the car, but affords virtually nil protection against baggage handlers' tlc. I have been thinking about the Dakine Low Roller, but it's expensive and perhaps a bit big though I am tempted by the idea of being able to carry my boots with my skis, I think the skis would rattle about in it!

I notice the SnoKart one is £30 instead of £35 and there is free delivery at the moment. Is this worth going for? It looks big enough to include a few bits of bulky clothing, but not sure if boots would go in, probably not. Oh decisions decisions rolling eyes .
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Butterfly, this is Christian from SnoKart! Give us a call on 01442-877298 and we will be happy to advise you on which of our bags will suit you the best.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Butterfly, Looks like someone's got Google alerts! Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Eeyore wrote:
Butterfly, Looks like someone's got Google alerts! Very Happy
Absolutely! This is our first season in business, so all our sales come in through our website! So I guess that we have got to try and be on the ball. Our products will be much more readily available in retails stores next winter though!

I must say that we did have a brilliant launch at the Metro Ski show in London last October and were swamped with orders, so that hopefully bodes well for our future, particularly in these difficult times for everybody.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Christian, welcome to SnowHeads & thanks for the response. I might give you a ring in due course, but actually it is handy to have a discussion here as others can read it too then - more advertising for you! Let me outline my requirements.

This will be the first time I have travelled with skis (155 length). I have taken boots before, packed into my hold bag, though doing this might make it a bit difficult to keep under 15Kg as I am going for a fortnight this March.

I am flying with Ryanair from Birmingham; I've paid for ski equipment carriage, one "hold bag" which is 15kg max and then there's handluggage too of course. Ryanair won't give me full details of exactly what I can take as part of the ski equipment fee that I have paid for, eg whether it means 1 bag or can be a ski bag and a boot bag - they have simply said to ask the ground agent, ServisAir, who have not responded to my enquiry rolling eyes. I apparently can't take boots/helmet as handluggage as that's banned at Grenoble.

I already have
- a large and a small holdall-style roller bag
- a ski boot bag that will take a helmet too if I want, though I usually pack that into the centre of my hold bag
- a soft thin unpadded ski bag

Options I have considered.
a - Take the ski bag I have, using my salopettes to give the skis some protection & take boot bag separately
b - Get a stronger, padded ski bag, pack some heavier bits around the skis and put boots in holdall
c - Get a Dakine Low Roller that will take boots too and loads of other stuff so i can take a smaller holdall bag

.............but with options b and c do I risk being told at the airport that I can't pack anything in a ski bag except ski equipment? I might get away with salopettes as "padding/protection" but other stuff?

I am also thinking of the practicalities - I don't really want to be carrying a holdall, a cabin bag, a ski bag AND a boot bag - I want to travel as light as is reasonably possible.

So, what benefits would the SnoKart ski bag give me? I like the adjustable length feature, having shorter skis, but would it take boots too?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Christian, Butterfly, the idea behind the signature "the kart" appears sound, but i already own a dakine high roller that i am happy with. when i get tired of lugging my faithful bodybag around, i'll deffo be considering this one.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Christian, I like the look of your gear. Someone has actually put some thought into luggage. Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I like the look of it too, not sure if the Boot/Helmet backpack would be allowed on as hand-baggage on my BMI flight - dimensions must not exceed 55x40x23cm. It doesn't give the dimensions of the bag on the website...

Joe Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Butterfly, If you are pricing gear up and want ski gear bags, put Lokker into both ebay and google - the Lokker web site will show their range and there is a seller on Ebay that retails them at a really good price. I took a Lokker to VT last year and was really pleased with it.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, thanks. Did you carry boots in it with skis? The Lokker.co.uk website's a bit odd though - seems to be the right one going by the header pics but the detail frame carries info about wall brackets for TVs and shopping bags Puzzled
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Butterfly, there is also an enormous 'body bag' type wheeled ski bag in Decathlon which I bought the other week. It was about £85 I think. Very padded, good all round zips and straps, dividing compartment, extendable, internal and external pockets for bits and bobs. I think it's comparable to the big SnoKart one and the Dakine Hi Roller.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Butterfly, Have also just spotted this - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=47957

Even if you paid postage it might be worth looking at.

My Lokker was not specifically design for boots as well (though some of theirs do state that they are. On the other hand, my big bag took my boots just laid in with my ski gear on top of my skis - there is a lot of room in most of these bags from what I see.

I think their Google link has been hijacked - cut and paste this link into your browser - I picked it out of the actual text in the google link and it worked for me.

http://www.lokker.co.uk/html/the_full_lokker_range.html

This is the one I bought http://www.lokker.co.uk/html/the_team_lokker_ski_bag_-_2_pa.html

and that you can get a fair bit cheaper on ebay
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Butterfly, we have tried to make our SnoKart bags as flexible as possible. For instance The Kart can be used like an enormous body bag, but I think it is unique in that it breaks down into 3 component parts. This makes it a lot easier to pack and it also fits into the car much more easily. It is large enough to carry skis and boots, (but be aware of weight restrictions).You then have the choice of assembling the 3 components as best suits you and the airline. You can either check in all 3 components as one body bag or check in two components as one wheelie bag, with the ski bag kept separate. Having the choice of the 3 components means that you can also use the wheelie or the holdall individually or joined, all year round. We are unique in offering this design and have patents pending on it....

Spyderman and TangoFiver, thanks for the compliments! The Boot Helmet bag is a little outside hand carry dimensions, but then so are nearly all boot bags. The bag does squash down, so having smaller boots can help in this situation! We have carried it on as hand luggage (with size 26 boots) on BA out of LHR to Geneva and it wasnt a problem. But then as we all know, regulations and what a passenger can get away with varies so much! All we know is that we have tried to design stuff that offers maximum flexibility, practicality and choice.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Christian, I've been looking at the Kart - its a monster! But how much flexibility is there with the ski compartment. I need an option that will enable me to take three sets of skis and the largest are 183, could the Kart cope with this?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Christian, I do like the look of the Kart, but it is beyond my budget at the moment when I already have a perfectly good small and large wheeled holdall at my disposal. For the moment I need to decide on the best way for me (balancing cost/convenience) to transport my skis and boots along with my holdall.
ski holidays
Megamum, thanks.
latest report
Richard E, it is possible to fit a pair of 183's into The Kart, together with another pair of shorter skis, but The Kart is not large enough to accommodate a third set of skis. Go for our Ski Zoom for the third set of skis as this is adjustable and will take skis up to 190cm//

Butterfly, have a look at our Ski Zoom bag for your Skis. This is very light, but padded in the important araes and it's length is adjustable. You could also consider our Urban Boot Bag which is unque in that it can be zipped into two halves. This allows you to carry both your boots over your shoulder in the normal manner, but also allows you to zip the bag into two and put one half into your hold luggage bag - should you have problems checking the boot bag in as hand luggage. In addition, I suggest also looking at our AIRLINER bags, which will keep your wet equipment separated from your dry clothes. All these items are much more reasonably priced and perhaps more suitable additions to the bags that you already own.

Hope that this helps...
snow report
Christian, Thanks - that's useful.
latest report
Christian, thanks for the information. Where can I see the product range?
snow report
Richard E, all sales are via our website this season; www.snokart.com
We are planning to have high street retailers on board next winter. We are happy to answer any queries that you may have on: 01442 877298 and delivery is free of charge at the moment.

Hope that helps...
snow conditions
Christian, thanks again. I have been on your website and understand the position but would have preferred to see the products. If I need more I'll give you a ring.
latest report
Richard E, no worries! Hope that we have been of help.
ski holidays
Christian, what do you reckon is best for carrying both a set of skis and a board?
snow conditions
blizt, I would suggest The Kart, which is large enough to carry both these items plus all your kit. Put them inside our lightweight AIRLINER bags first, to keep them protected from each other and then pad them out with some clothing. The AIRLINER bags will ensure that the skis and board dont damage your clothes whilst giving them added protection. The wheelie and holdall elements of The Kart will then accomodate the rest of your clothing and boots (subject to weight restrictions).
latest report
Christian, I think seeing the products is really important. I am not sure whether your SkiZoom would give me many advantages over packing the skis with some padding into the EB Simple Khaki ski bag I already have, which I picked up for a tenner in a sale at the end of the summer.

Have you considered taking a temporary sales pitch in the UK Snowdomes to raise awareness of your business and generate some sales? Was at Castleford recently and they had a cart in the middle of the concourse inviting people to rent it as a sales area.
ski holidays
Butterfly, yes you are right. The success of our launch at the Metro Ski has illustrated this to us very clearly. Our stand was swamped with interested potential customers, who then placed orders with us. The majority of our subsequent orders have also come from people who saw our stand and range, back in October.

I have been speaking about taking the cart opportunity up with the guys at Milton Keynes, Snowdome and may arrange something soon. Selling purely off the internet was always going to be a challenge this season and our intention is for our products to be available in stores for next winter.

We are very encouraged by the response we had at the ski show. When people see our bags, they like them and buy them. That's very re-assuring for us and only bodes well for the future of SnoKart.
snow conditions
Christian, if you do take the pitch in MK be sure to advertise that fact on here as I think quite a few SHs would come and see you.
snow conditions
Butterfly, good idea! Thanks, I will definitely do that.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi picked up on this post as I am looking for a ski bag to carry my new skis - ladies skis at 149 length and was wondering what the best options were? How do you stop the skis rattling about for example?

Also can someone tell me the difference between a Ski bag and a Ski sleeve - Salomon have a ladies version of both, similar price but I cant see what the difference is? (I am looking on line as shops round me have v ltd range for ladies skis)
snow conditions
purplegirl, Hi there! Our SnoKart 'sleeve' equivalent is called Ski Airliner - this is basically an unpadded bag designed to isolate your skis from clothing etc when packed inside a bigger bag. I think that SnoKart offer the most comprehensive range of this type of bag and our 165 model would suit your length skis. This will also help stop your skis rattling. We do an adjustable padded bag ski bag as well, called Ski Zoom. Please checkout out our website; www.snokart.com for more info.
latest report
I've just ordered a Kargo holdall from Christian at SnoKart. When it arrives I'll gladly write a review for other snowHead to read.

I'll not be using it in anger until the first week in March when I'm off to Obertauern in Austria, but will have a good look at it before, checking how much I can cram in it to meet the baggage limits, giving it a 'test drive' around the house and up and down the road...... Very Happy

Watch this space!
latest report
Sleipnir, many thanks! I have skied at Obertauern many times. I started as a beginner there and progressed over the years to the very top of Gamsleiten, which is still one of the most dramatic runs I have done! Have a great trip and enjoy the bag! Do let us know how you get on...
ski holidays
I've recently ordered from Christian the Kargo Holdall from SnoKart. Although I've yet to use it, I thought other snowHead may find the following review useful if they are thinking about investing in some luggage

First impressions - impressed! Although quite a simple design (no added pockets, zips, bits & pieces that you'll hardly ever use) the Kargo gives the impression that someone has actually applied some thought and not just followed the masses. The biggest plus is the fact that the top and base compartments completely detach from one another providing good flexibility - more about this later. Well constructed, chunky zips, double stitching, made from hard wearing nylon with extra support in the areas which are likely to take a hammering. Looking forward to using it!

Top compartment - as mentioned, this can be completely separated from the base. Weighs next to nothing, so allows you to maximise your baggage allowance. Minimal padding, but enough. Was able to fit my boots and helmet inside and still leave space for clothes and other stuff around and on top. Not the deepest compartment in the world, but if you are able to take boots as hand luggage, I would have thought more than adequate for the stuff needed for a week's holiday - especially if you are good at travelling light. I'm looking to use the top compartment for long weekends and visits to my folks place. Two, if not three built in handles. Ok, no wheels (they are on the base compartment) but unless you fill it with many heavy items, it's not going to be hassle to carry around.

One downside - due to its dimensions (too long) you would probably not be able to use it as hand luggage on most airlines (especially the budget ones). May be something for Christian to think about - if you could somehow shrink it down to meet the hand luggage requirements, possibly by being able to fold in half or have a detachable compartment, that would be great!

Base compartment - this incorporates the wheels, frame and handle for the holdall and as a result is understandably heavier than the top compartment. Empty it weighs approx 5kg. If you put your boots in the base and a few clothes, you will quickly hit the max baggage limit of many cheap airlines. The wheels, frame and handle look to be sturdy - not your lightweight hardware that will break after a only a few uses. The padded compartment is deeper in the base, although some of it is taken up by the self contained handle. Subject to the airline weight limits, the base can easily take boots, helmet and lots more

The base attaches to the top compartment by one sturdy zip and carrying handles can attach to help with transport (in addition to those built into the top and base). The literature says that you can carry the Kargo on your back like a rucksack - may be Christian can comment on this

Pros - someone has given some thought to the luggage needed by skiers (and others). A simply straightforward design delivers different options to the user, without added 'bells and whistles'. Biggest boon is the fact that the top and base compartments can be used independently which allows greater flexibility. Well constructed and looks like it will handle years of use and being thrown around. 1 year guarantee

Cons - would be great if there were some way of using the top compartment as hand luggage and not fall foul of the airline restrictions on maximum dimensions (or having to use an additional bag for hand luggage)

Conclusion - overall very happy with my purchase (8.5 out of 10). Am really looking forward to putting my new purchase through it's paces - will probably only end up using half of it!

PS - before anyone asks, I've no connection with Christian and SnoKart, other than the fact that I am now a customer! Very Happy
ski holidays
Great to meet the Snowheads gang on our SnoKart stand at The Metro Ski Show last weekend.... another season awaits...
Ciao for now Smile
snow conditions
Sleipnir, Hi am thinking about getting the kargo, how is yours holding up?

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 17-01-11 13:25; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Don't know about the Kargo but have just bought a boot and helmet bag and is seems a fantastic bit of kit
snow report
radar wrote:
Sleipnir, Hi am thinking about getting the kargo, how is yours holding up?

radar I'm really happy with my kargo. Haven't used it too much, but it's really a nice bag into which Christian & Co really have put some thought. A few observations through using it:-

i) the light grey material does get marked a little when thrown around my the baggage handlers, but a quick scrub with a nail brush and some washing liquid and it comes up as new

ii) I managed to break the stiching on the handle of the top part of the kargo. It's really useful to be able to completely seperate the two parts of the bag. I often use the top part for long weekends. On this occasion I overloaded it and when I picked it up by the handle the stiching came away. I managed to get it re-stiched by a sadler/leather worker.

A question aimed at the Snokart guys - would it be possible to reinforce the handles with a stud fastening, as well as the stiching? I have a (SwissGear) Victorinox rucksack that has precisely that and the handles are 'bullet proof'

iii) the base because it houses the frame and the wheels can be a little heavy on it's own, especially when you have to take into account the low baggage limts on the budget airline

Other than the above 'niggles' I'm really happy with my purchase. Nice work Christian and the rest of SnoKart!!!
latest report
Sleipnir, Thanks, have just ordered the kargo.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy