Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

US Sierra Nevada plastered with 6m of new snow: "heaviest since 1916"

Poster: A snowHead
Massive snowstorms which have swept the Sierra Nevada mountains around Lake Tahoe for the past 14 days have dumped up to 6m of new snow - the heaviest snowfalls since 1916. Flooding, avalanches and ice damage have hit several US states. "The snowbanks along Interstate 80 [a major route in northern California] are about eight to 10 feet high. It's like you're going through a maze," said Jane Dulaney, spokeswoman for the Rainbow Lodge west of Donner Summit, a high point on the road.
Photo: Alpine Meadows 9 January...

Reports from the Washington Post and ABC News.
And this photo from Quad City Times gives an impression of what people are dealing with on their doorsteps.

This snowNews thread from a week ago reported the unusual situation then - but snow accumulations on the high mountains have now doubled.

Anyone out there like to give us some personal impressions of what's happening? Is it proving difficult to access the skiing?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 10-01-05 12:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David,
Try this for a regularly updated report from the locals.

Telemark Talk

Dave

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 10-01-05 11:47; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Also check out the WinterHighland site here:
http://www.winterhighland.info/forums/list.php?6

as Alan is off doing a winter season there. He has made it into the Resort between snow storms, but seems to be mainly stuck in town or at the bottom of the mountain at the moment.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dave J, very interesting reports. One of those posters talks of 152 mph wind speeds. With that amount of snow blowing around in hurricane-force winds I should think the avalanche danger is phenomenal.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is Jef there?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David,
I got back from Tahoe last night. I drove up on Thursday night during a break in the precipitation, and the trip only took the usual time on dry roads with no traffic. However, it started dumping again not much later and I-80 was closed on and off on Friday and Saturday. Left my car up there, and flew out of Reno yesterday afternoon - Truckee airport is closed until further notice (probably Wednesday)!
The smaller roads did get bad on Saturday night, but the plows are pretty good at clearing the stuff as soon as possible - I just get stuck getting out of the drive! Smile
Resort wise I ski at Squaw - only the lower mountain has really been open although they did get some upper mountain open yesterday - the winds are a problem for the lifts. And everything opens after avalanche control has been done - they start blasting as soon as it gets light. Conditions were very bad on Saturday, so the lifts closed early, with wind being the main problem.
However, the skiing has been fantastic!!! snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David,

Quote:

One of those posters talks of 152 mph wind speeds. With that amount of snow blowing around in hurricane-force winds I should think the avalanche danger is phenomenal

Prophetic. See
See http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2005/Jan-10-Mon-2005/news/25633446.html
for the full story.

You really dont expect avalanche danger on a chairlift.

Very sad
Dave
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wow! Clobbered when on a chair lift! Amazing.
And I note the resort's response is not noted as impressive. Sad
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My god, that's a really horrific story.
Surely the lift shouldn't even have been running in the first place if the avalanche risk above was that extreme. The resort must have some culpability here?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Some extra details from a local as follows:

I spoke to a couple people who were at the scene but I don’t have much to add. The top operator stopped the chair as the blast of the avalanche came over a small ridge. The avalanche knocked a boy out of the chair burying him in a small stand of trees just off the lower right of the picture above. A probe line was setup (not that thing on the pic) and most people at the scene stayed to help. The snow had a lot of debris making probing difficult. S&R arrived adding to the search including looking for others possibly buried above. The body was found by one of the dogs several hours after the event. He was buried four feet and trauma my have been the cause of death.
The entire cirque above released larger than it had in the 40 years history of the ski area. The overall snow depth is not record setting yet. The area above the other chair had been bombed that morning releasing only one small sluff. Where the slab released has never had avalanche control. Area management said they are changing their snow safety practice. There have been a few other larger slab releases in adjoining canyons prompting the forest service to call for a voluntary evacuation of homes in a canyon the southeast.
I’m not going to go into who should be held responsible. The ski area was purchased early last season from the family the built that place. Snow safety is still run the same as it has been for many years. Forest service has to be aware of the current practice. Prior to this there was debris from past slides right up to the edge of the ski trail. That debris was heavily overgrown. I am looking forward to the official report.
The boy who was killed was an honor student and in school sports at a local junior high school.

More comments and speculation at http://www.telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2108&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Another news report on this tragedy from the Las Vegas Sun. Seems that slope has never had anything like that occur in 40 years. And the surprising fact that the chairlift had no safety bar.
Quote:
Investigators will try to determine whether rushing snow or an "air blast" pushed ahead of it swept the boy off the 20-foot-high lift, Strait said. The lift travels a little more than a half-mile on a moderately difficult slope. Chairs have no safety restraining bars.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well maybe after events like this the chaps over the ocean will consider adding them, after all they are called saftey bars for a good reason Confused
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Very few Chairlifts in the US dont have safety bars .
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sorry my last post should of read

Very few Chairlifts in the US HAVE safety bars [/quote]
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Here is a follow up news report from the Review-Journal on the chairlift-avalanche incident. As the article points out, avalanches into marked ski runs are rare enough, but avalanches into moving ski lifts are very rare indeed. This boy was incredibly unlucky.
ski holidays
stanton, most of the chairlifts I use have safety bars, and I generally use them. snowHead
latest report
I think the safety bar issue is a red herring in this incident. If the forces were great enough to pull the boy out of his seat, the forces may have been in a direction that would have raised the bar.
The key issue is why the avalanche came down into a lift-served pisted ski area, with the ski patrol having apparently OK'ed the slopes above. The area was apparently closed to the public the day after the avalanche.
snow conditions
David Goldsmith, I agree with the you on the safety bar issue. As I read the rest of the story it did seem that ski patrol may not had paid too much attention to the slopes above because blasting to one side didn't trigger anything? The area would have to be closed after the incident anyway - pending investigation. A very unfortunate event Sad
snow conditions
Heavy snowstorms have also been blasting Utah. This report from The Salt Lake Tribune, including:
Quote:
As much as 5 feet of new snow was recorded at the ski areas in Little and Big Cottonwood canyons, said Brian McInerney, a weather service hydrologist. Snowbird Ski Resort said it has surpassed 300 inches of snow since the season opening, with a base of 123 inches.
snow conditions
A further avalanche has hit lift towers at Lee canyon.

Below copied from Telemark tips:

1/11-- The unstable snowpack on Mt. Charleston above the Las Vegas (NV) Ski and Snowboard Resort, site of last Sunday's freak avalanche accident in which a teenager was swept off a chairlift, continues. This afternoon, sources on the scene told Telemarktips that another avalanche swept down off the mountain today, burying a "shack" and the "top two towers" of another lift at the currently closed ski area. Further details remain sketchy, but this second major slide was said to have originated in the area above the resort that is normally subject to avalanche control by ski area personnel. The lift involved is reportedly not the same chair on which Sunday's accident occurred, but rather is the other main lift accessing terrain of the upper part of the resort. The events of the past couple of days on Mt. Charleston highlight the extreme avalanche danger in many parts of the western U.S. at the moment. Be careful out there.

http://www.telemarktips.com/TeleNews.htm
snow conditions
See this EpicSki thread for pics of the skiing in the Sierra--and one of 18' in the parking lot!
snow report
ssh, yep, that's pretty much what it looked like at Squaw, too! Can't wait for the weekend! Very Happy snowHead
latest report
18 ft. . . . and I'm going to the alps . . . crap!

And because I said to myself "as long as that Fuhrer wanabe's in Pen Ave., I ain't goin' back" I'm gonna miss it.
Oh well sometimes principle should rise above pleasure, whatever the hurt. Crying or Very sad
latest report
Masque, just to make it hurt a little more - it's nice and sunny now, and there is still untracked powder! snowHead
snow report
Quick update from T-Tips

Back to the Spring Mountains for a minute. Over the last couple of days there have been mandatory evacuations of several homes in the mountains. The roads up to Lee and Kyle canyons have been closed to the public. Many major slides have occurred in all canyons. One road in Kyle canyon has a 20’ tall deposition pile across it. The second chair to be hit by an avalanche is beyond repair for the season. This same chair has been hit by several slides in my time at Lee Canyon but nothing like this time. After one of those slides the area built a lift / patrol shack out of ½” steel plate. That building was crushed. The Three Springs area in Lee Canyon, where the tragic slide originated is said to be ringed by a large crown estimated to be +/- 6’. Other than the tragic loss of life there are a lot of disasters happening. What is happening here seems minor in the larger scheme of things.
snow report
This report in Tahoe Daily Tribune is about how the resorts now plan to capitalise on the snow they've gained. In fact, so much snow came down in the Northern California / Nevada mountains that some places lost days of revenue while roads were blocked.

Quote:
It certainly wasn't a picnic for Kirkwood Mountain Resort, which lost six major ski days to road closures primarily off Highway 88 and horrendous, stormy conditions.

"We came into the holiday with a giant lead. But we were pummeled," Kirkwood President Tim Cohee said.

The place was closed off on Dec. 30, 31 and Jan. 1, 8 and 9 because of avalanche hazards.
latest report
Further from T tips

'1/14-- Clear weather finally came to Mt. Charleston and the Las Vegas (NV) Ski and Snowboard Resort yesterday, giving our source on the scene a first good look at the mountain... and the starting zone of the avalanche that killed 13 year-old snowboarder Brett Hutchison last Sunday (see stories below). The crown is said to have reached nearly 20 feet at its highest point and runs for a reported 1/3 of a mile, "or more." The huge snow slide was what is known as a "climax avalanche," one that runs all the way to bare ground. Our source reports that rock and dirt were clearly visible directly below the giant crown. We are working on obtaining photos, and possibly video, of the scene.
The Las Vegas Ski and Snowboard Resort remains closed while resort personnel, snow safety experts and the United States Forest Service review the area's avalanche control procedures and work on details of an upgraded plan for the future. Meanwhile, the weather has turned clear and cold, "the mountain is freezing up hard, setting us up for a repeat if we get a lot more snow again," said our source. With today not even quite mid-January, and an apparent El-Nino weather pattern in full effect, the area likely has several months of possibly heavy snow still ahead. During the last El Nino in '98, we skied 30 inches of fresh snow in the So Cal mountains, directly to the west of Mt. Charleston, during the second week of May!'

Thats one big avalanche.
ski holidays
More on the freak avalanche that took the boy off the chairlift from the Las Vegas Sun
Quote:
An expert said there may have been no way for a southern Nevada ski area to predict the avalanche that killed a 13-year-old snowboarder.

"When this avalanche released, it was unprecedented," said Doug Abromeit, a U.S. Forest Service investigator from the National Avalanche Center in Ketchum, Idaho. "I don't know that it could have been foreseen."

Abromeit declined Thursday to discuss specifics about his investigation of the death of Allen Brett Hutchison.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It could be a fair proposition. Huge snowfalls, or rare wind conditions (or a combination), can produce slides that might only occur once in several centuries. The mega avalanche that smashed buildings and people in Galtur a few years back was once in a blue moon.
latest report
California's recent snowstorms are put into historical perspective in this article from Monterey Herald. It contains some amazing statistics and anecdotes.

The 1951-2 winter put down enormous quantities of snow, which is interesting because the preceding winter - specifically January 1951 - saw some of the most destructive avalanches in history in the Alps.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy