Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Din settings

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

Just bought my new skis ready for thier first outing in Chamonix..... hopefully doing lots of off piste and other fun stuff......

I've got:

Volkl Mantras in 170cm (nose height.... I prefer slightly shorter skis for the times I'm on the hard stuff, find it easier to initiate faster turns and don't feel it takes much if anything away off piste from say a 177cm)

Marker Duke bindings...

I'm 42, 5'10, a big lad (some may read 'powerful' others 'lardy') 224 pounds and I would class myself as a II and a half on the classic I,II,III scale..... slightly above a II but not quite a III (maybe 20 years ago)... My boot sole length is 314 (Scarpa Typhoons)

Ski 50/50 on and off piste and like to hike or skin a short way to get the best runs and add a little adventure... hence the free ride setup.

I'm a little concerned about the din setting the ski shop have given me, I explained my stats etc exactly as above but the tech has set me at 9.5 which seems very high (even for a lardy... oops, big powerful guy like me!)

Any thoughts from you ski tech types... or anyone else for that matter...

Cheers
Paul

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 7-01-09 16:26; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Vipa, If you really are 124 pounds with a height of 5'10, then your BMI is 17.8, which is classed as underweight... yet you say you are 'lardy'?

Best to start with accurate figures?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Vipa, This may help
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ousekjarr wrote:
Vipa, If you really are 124 pounds with a height of 5'10, then your BMI is 17.8, which is classed as underweight... yet you say you are 'lardy'?

Best to start with accurate figures?

I mean't 224... now changed rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Here's the DIN website link :-

http://www.dinsetting.com/
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
http://www.dinsetting.com/dinchart.htm would suggest a range of 8.5 to 10 for Marker bindings with your stats, depending on whether you chose Type 2 or Type 3. However, I'd be wary of websites such as this, especially as you have 2008/2009 bindings and the data shown here is for 2007/2008 (there may be changes), and would check with someone more knowledgeable. Plus, only you can decide what works for you, through experience and testing.

However, just to prove the point about trusting websites, putting your stats into their calculator on the front page gives a range of 6 to 8.5 - how they manage to square this with the chart would be an interesting discussion...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I don't get this...224lbs and on 170 Mantras. I don't think you are giving the ski much chance but that aside...I'd have thought 9.5 is about right.

I am 85kgs and ski DIN 9 to 10 on the Dukes. Depends how you need them to work, IMV rather that take the charts as gospel.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Vipa wrote:

Any thoughts from you ski tech types... or anyone else for that matter...

Cheers
Paul

DIN is fine. Not enough ski, not by half.

That's the girly 130lb size.

Of course it doesn't take away much off piste from the 177cm size.

That's because the 177cm size is too short too.

Step up to 184 or 191 and -start- feeling the float...

http://i553.photobucket.com/albums/jj378/sierrajimstarthaus/Bindingshots003.jpg
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
comprex, why have I seen that photo before?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi All,

I am happy with my DIN settings but need a bit of advice on how closely to adjust the length of the bindings to the boot. Currently I have a couple of millimetres clearance between the closed bindings and the front and back of the boot and the bindings operate freely without snagging the boot. Does this sound correct?

Also is there a reliable home test for binding operation? I have my skis serviced in resort every year but I would like to be sure that the bindings are OK before I go.

Thanks
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
arv, because you're fascinated by blondes who appreciate a decently sized stick?

Seldom Seen Kid,

1. NO, that is not correct.

2. No.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
comprex, Thanks for the advice. Any idea what the boot to binding clearance should be or a site where I can look it up?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There is no such thing an binding clearance. You need to make sure the forward pressure is correct, which you can usually do by checking the alignment marks are between the limits when the boot is clipped in. However these alignment marks and limits are not standardised and where they are on a particular binding varies - and isn't normally documented in the user documentation and you need the binding technical manual (which can sometimes be found on the 'net).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Seldom Kid

There shouldn't be any play in the boot/binding interface - what do you mean by a few mm?

Vipa

What shape are your knees in? If all's well I'd say a DIN of 9 minimum but probably closer to 10 - the shop seem to be about right, but there are a lot of factors. As a rough rule of thumb for someone who is in good shape and a decent intermediate I use weight in kilos divided by 10.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Shocked Do you factor the BSL moment into that at all?
ski holidays
Recently did a salomon training thing for running the hotel ski shop this season. The tech manual we use and the din setting chart are here, http://salomontechnician.com/details.aspx
ski holidays
bucking bronco, What I mean is that with the boot in the binding if I look down on top the nearest points of the front and rear bindings to the boots are around 1mm from the boot. There is no play i.e the boot cannot move (other than the normal binding release). I wish I could draw on this post!

el nombre, Thanks for the link I was hoping to find an indication of where the alignment marks were (although my bindings are Marker) but the link only goes to a login page.
ski holidays
Seldom Seen Kid, ah, you're talking about the gap from the actual binding wings to the verticalish part of the boot that forms the foot-form shell, not to the part of the boot that forms the binding lug?

If so, don't worry about it.
snow conditions
^ What Comprex said

Don't worry about it.
ski holidays
comprex, bucking bronco, That's it! Thanks for the help
latest report
Seldom Seen Kid, There's a couple of links in the short bit of text to some pdf files with the info.
ski holidays
el nombre, Got it thanks very much!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy