Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Marker Jesters vs Griffons

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I can't decide between these two. The price difference is looking to be a major factor.

I've got some PX12 on a pair of Thrusters which I ski at around 8/9 DIN and they've never let me down, but I will be skiing off piste so I wonder if having more DIN room is better.

Also, are the Jesters better for powder skis that the Griffons, I'll be mounting them on some K2 Obsethed's.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can't compare the two but, I have griffons only skied then for the first time today, but they're fine for powder and i'm running the at din 8 at the mo though my piste skis are normally 10

they're a bit white and plasticy though...unless you need the higher DIN setting then it comes down to cost and looks really.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
papasmurf, all the reviews I've read have said that there may be some durability issues considering the Griffon is made of plastic compared to the Jester's metal.

How do you find the weight, do you notice it at all?.

What skis are they attached to? Can you compare them to any other bindings you've used in the past?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
on the DIN point, if you're happy on 8/9 now, you don't need a binding that goes beyond 12 unless you have a burning desire to start jumping off things
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've got Griffon's mounted on my powder skis, but not tried them out yet. They are certainly white and plasticky as papasmurf says, but they feel very light. I'll post back next week after they see some action.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Arno, I do have the intention of jumping of things. And I want to be able to ski in the powder in the morning then in the park in the afternoon.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
buckers wrote:
Arno, I do have the intention of jumping of things. And I want to be able to ski in the powder in the morning then in the park in the afternoon.

Definately get the Jesters.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spyderjon, I trust your obviously high rated advice.

Thanks for clarifying my options for me.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
buckers wrote:
papasmurf, all the reviews I've read have said that there may be some durability issues considering the Griffon is made of plastic compared to the Jester's metal.

How do you find the weight, do you notice it at all?.

What skis are they attached to? Can you compare them to any other bindings you've used in the past?

they're mounted on scott punishers...which combines gto be about 1kg lighter then my crossfires with marker mod 12s so they feel soo much lighter.

I've had a few issues with releases while skiing knee deep powder today, and also with a 3-4ft drop to powder..

hitting deep powder stashes at speed seems to make then release, now the shop set the din to 8 which they said is what the chart says..which I feel is to low (actualy havinng just checked the chart it should be 10)

Any one know or have a link to a how to change the dins on the griffons...so once i get this sorted then they should be perfect.

as for durability they seem to be very solidly built, and they have a very nice posative engagement..with a nice heavy thunk. the only issue maybe will be the sliding plate at the front.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 18-12-08 18:27; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
papasmurf, I'm not surpised if they're releasing off-piste/taking air if you're running a lower din setting than your piste skis.

The only difference between the Jester & Griffon is that the Jester has metal toe wings versus plastic on the Griffon.

By sliding plate do you mean the AFD (anti friction device) that's under the ball of the foot & that allows boot to release smoothly? If so then it's basically the same as the Duke's which seems pretty bomber, & certainly no less durable than any other sliding AFD on the market.

Din is adjusted in the toe pece by the large screw in the front end. In the heel piece it's the larger/upper screw in the rear of the binding with the smaller/lower screw being the forward pressure adjustment which must be set correctly (ie screw head flush with the housing when the boot's installed) for the din release setting to be accurate.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cheers spyderjon yes I mean the AFD (learnt something new).

will pop down the ski room after dinner and have a gander..
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hmmm... The Duke pre-released on DIN 9 in a mogul field which I didn't feel was good particualrly in the circumstances. It didn't take much pressure, for sure. I jacked the heel upto 9.5 and bearing in mind that the DIN reading window gets full of ice/snow etc which makes the setting pretty hard to read in the field, this could have an element of hit and miss. I then felt the heel release was not accurate for a forward roll fall..

I think it will take a degree of work and understanding to get the right sort of release and confidence levels. The Duke is indeed bomber but you need to get used to it and the way it works/adjusts. Changing the settings on the fly on the hill isn't a good idea if you are new to the binding, IMO. but you could say that about other bindings as well, I think.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've tested Duke's for toe & heel release on my torque machine & they were spot on however different bindings do have differing release characteristics/range of motion etc. User feedback from their first seasons use seems to support the fact that the heel does need to be a tad higher (+0.5 to +1 din) for the average user compared to the setting they'd be running on the other main brands.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
After 3 weeks skiing fresh powder and some high speed charging on piste I haven't had any problems with my Griffons. I had the DIN setting on 7, which is a little on the low side (I usually use DIN 8.0) but had no dodgy releases so I left them alone. I had a couple of big crashes and they released when I thought they ought to. One thing I noticed was that the forward pressure needed slight adjustment after the first couple of days use, as they seemed to lose a little after the initial setting. Overall I can't really fault them for a lightweight Alpine binding. I don't think I'd get any benefit from a heavier more durable setup.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've just bought the Griffons. They seem to do the business and as said above, I like the light weight. I used to have the DIN on my noodles set at 6 with no pre-releases but on demo skis I had a couple at 7. Reakon 8 will be fine for me so no need to go all the way up to Jester level.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy