Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to - wax a board

Poster: A snowHead
Lot's of ways to do this, this is the way I do it, most people use a plastic scraper instead of the wire wool stuff I use.
1st step is clean the base but this board has had 10 days max on the snow so I'm skipping that, I rarely clean it anyway, depends how good a job you want to do innit.

I use all this crap. Cheapo iron, wax, soft wire wool, scouring pad type thing, polishing pad, ciggies.

Get your iron hot, not too hot though, smoking is just on the limit.

Get your board flat

Drip wax all over it, not too much, you have to take it all off later

Board all dripped up and ready for the hard part

Iron in the wax, keep the iron moving, you dont want to burn your base.

smoke break.

Scrape off all the wax with the roughest of the pads you have, in my case the wire wool stuff, most people use a plastic scraper here. You dont want to see any wax on the board at all, it should all have sunk into the base. Wax left on top of the base will stick to the snow and is uncool.
I work nose to tail, probably helps, probably doesnt, its a good thing to do nose to tail though.

Polish it up with the medium pad you have.

Polish it like a madman with the softest pad you have.

Done

Smooth as a baby's ass.

Go shred.
Total time 30 minutes max.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 10-11-08 17:17; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Top instructions ! Nice and simple

I bet I would end up would end up with an iron emebedded in mine tho
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If I can do it then anyone can. Obviously you can do a load of other crap as well but this is the basic wax.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There's a couple of things I do different, I warm up the base of the board with the iron first so it's hot to touch and after waxing I leave it somewhere warm for a bit, normally o/n (this may change in resort when I'll want it next day). I normally clean it with a hot wax too.

Don't know how much difference this makes, it's probably the law of diminishing returns, but I've not met anyone yet who out glides me on the flats.

Photo 4, you just wanted a gratuitous crotch shot didn't you Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Swirly, I remember reading in spyderjon's tuning guide to not touch the bare base (without wax) with the iron, as this may more easily burn the base.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Swirly wrote:
Photo 4, you just wanted a gratuitous crotch shot didn't you Laughing

Laughing Laughing Thought it, didnt dare say it Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stab, is smoking a prerequisite for doing your board. If so, I'm champion at that!! Toofy Grin

Good to see some advice not plugging the hell out of the fact you need a Bakoda iron.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ronald, there's normally some wax left on my iron, I don't have it set that high either. Boards lose the heat a lot quicker than sk*s too which can make doing a hot scrape a pain as the wax sets at the nose before you've even got to the tail. Solution is to do it in strips.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Specialman wrote:
stab, is smoking a prerequisite for doing your board. If so, I'm champion at that!! Toofy Grin

Good to see some advice not plugging the hell out of the fact you need a Bakoda iron.

it's positively encouraged, gives the board chance to cool down so smoking is indeed usefull.

Some people take the bindings off before waxing, I don't. I would say it's probably better to take them off.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Some people take the bindings off before waxing, I don't. I would say it's probably better to take them off.

I only bother when I'm using a table, don't think there's any need to otherwise. Be careful around the mounts though as they will retain heat, I was speaking to spyderjon t'other week and he thinks this is why some people get bulges in the base under the bindings i.e. a trashed board.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
yeah I'm always watching it around the inserts. I guess the inserts warm up and start pulling through the board or cooking the base, I saw some real bad ones last winter and people try to blame me for putting their bindings on too tight, nice try matey, it was like that before your service, I'm not a complete idiot.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
i heard that it's got to do with the air in the holes under the screws expanding, so the advice was to loosen the screws (?).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rogg, I waxed my Duck last year with the bindings off, and the wax still behaved differently around the inserts to the rest of the board - it cooled a lot slower, so as the wax went opaque on the rest of the base there were two sets of eight perfect discs that remained dark for a while. Slightly alarming at the time - "oh cr@p I've just ruined my board" - but they cooled down eventually. I guess that means it's the inserts themselves holding the heat rather than the screws (?)

Swirly, had that nose-cooling-before-you've-got-to-the-tail problem as well and fancy trying your suggestion out - at the risk of asking a stupid question, when you say the solution is waxing it in strips - long, thin nose-to-tail strips (like sk*s) or section-by-section going down the board, nose first then middle then tail? Thanks mate ( and thanks stab for posting it in the first place )
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snojito wrote:
rogg, I waxed my Duck last year....

You did what!!!! I prefer geese - more surface area Toofy Grin
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snojito, I went section by section, nose to tail. If I do it in work then I hit it hard with the proper wax iron and do strips but with a cheap iron like I have its sections. You just want all the drops of wax to be melted and sucked into the base.

Waxing a ski is exactly the same except you need to be careful you dont drip wax into your hand bag.
ski holidays
snojito, Specialman, I am going to report both of you to the RSPCA !
ski holidays
Specialman, Laughing Geese are definitely advised for the bigger-footed rider...
ski holidays
the metal threaded binding inserts in the board will conduct/attract/retain the heat imv more than the rest of the board, makes sense though to limit this and take the bindings screws out (i.e. bindings off) and reduce the amount of heat conductivity Very Happy
snow report
DebbiDoesSnow, the RSPCA'll just shake their heads and tell you it's out of their jurisdiction... the RSPB, on the other hand, will probably have us plucked and roasted with sage and onion stuffed up our unmentionables wink good to talk to you - how've you been all year?
ski holidays
snojito, RSPB Embarassed I have been loitering here all year, waiting till the new season, wasting my life away Laughing What you been up to ?
snow conditions
is this where my thread turns into some facebook scrabble thing again? Smile
snow report
stab, get back to rubbing to dripping over your board & rubbing it hard NehNeh
snow conditions
DebbiDoesSnow -- I've been... um... whatever the opposite of hibernating is? Found I had to step away from the snow-related stuff, it was making the spring and summer all too painful! (but how can you say "wasting your life away"? Look at your post count!! Laughing )

stab, thanks again - did wax a pair of skis last season too, but in my defence they were the OH's (and she kept her handbag out of the way wink )

(damn you slow internet connection)
latest report
snojito, welcome back! Yeah like stab says I do it in strips (like sk*s) can't imagine that doing it in sections would be bad though.
ski holidays
snojito wrote:
DebbiDoesSnow... the RSPB, on the other hand, will probably have us plucked and roasted with sage and onion stuffed up our unmentionables....

Or they'll wax us up in retribution
ski holidays
Swirly, thanks mate, it's good to be back! it's good to see you guys are all well Very Happy looks like I might not be waxing any sk*s this winter - Miss S has been told she's rogered her knee ligaments and might have to have surgery, so it's looking like an all-boys all-boarders trip this time around. I guess I can still practice on her sk*s though

Specialman, the prospect of being waxed by a vengeful Bill Oddie and Ms. Outraged of Oundle has just brought tears to my eyes...
latest report
stab wrote:
[b

Waxing a ski is exactly the same except you need to be careful you dont drip wax into your hand bag.

heheh
snow report
well, i took the plunge and waxed mine tonight. took the advice above and that of a mate and did the do. surprisingly easy, and really very satisfying.

4 more sleeps. snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rogg wrote:
well, i took the plunge and waxed mine tonight. took the advice above and that of a mate and did the do. surprisingly easy, and really very satisfying.

4 more sleeps. snowHead

wicked, it really is easy isnt it. By the time you do it twice or three times you've recovered the initial outlay.
latest report
I even do my skis in sections for hot scraping. I've waxed my mates board for him and bloody hell... they don't half take more scraping and brushing Laughing
latest report
Hmmm, think my legs are in more need of a wax than my board Toofy Grin
snow report
What great instructions! I would actually give it a go if I wasnt heading out to Bourg on saturday morning snowHead
snow conditions
Nadenoodlee, plenty of time left - it only took 30 mins.

are you staying in Bourg? forecast looks stonking snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
rogg, I am indeed - two whole weeks and a big old car to go wherever we like- BLISS!
snow report
stab wrote:
snojito, I went section by section, nose to tail. If I do it in work then I hit it hard with the proper wax iron and do strips but with a cheap iron like I have its sections. You just want all the drops of wax to be melted and sucked into the base.

hahaha! i was going to attempt to wax my board for the first time last night but i just didnt have time! might have a crack tonight if i have enough time! how long do you reckon a good wax sesh takes?
snow conditions
i took the plunge and followed these instructions with a few modifications. i used a scraper, then a scourer, then a nylon brush (for no reason other than that's what i had around). it's a dead easy job and makes the board handle much better on the flat bits. It is totally sweet to rinse past the guys on sticky rental boards, or skiers puffing about with their poles out on the flat bits.

i remember before i got my board wondering why some boards managed the flat bits better than others. Now i know. This is why!

tidy max, my first effort even being overly cautious and with lots of thinking/reflecting time, took less than an hour.
snow report
great tutorial!
ski holidays
thought this thread deserved a bump...

i was about to put my skis in for their summer service, but i think i'll be trying it myself now. Just need to go buy the wax and find a cheapo iron somewhere. Very Happy
latest report
Just missing a couple of things. Job time much the same, but easier to do and gives a well mellow finish.

snow conditions
A friend of mine told me to do the same, I mistakenly used coloured wax. The whole board was red :S lol
Word of advice never used died wax. Good tutorial thank you!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy