Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

NEW SKIER NEED SOME ADVISE

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi im about to go skiing for the first time in Bulgaria i have brought some ski boots got my insoles custom made but now am not sure about what jacket to go for i get hot very quickly so i was thinking about a 3 in 1 jacket may be perfect i did try on a saloman aero gt 3.1 very nice £400 is this a good brand and how much should i roughly be paying for one.. Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I first skied about 5 years ago and used a jacket an trousers from the Whitestuff outlet shop in Portsmouth. Total cost was about 160 pounds if i remember correctly. I'm still using them and they have been brill but getting a little tired now (been dragged upside down at speed down many a piste).
Don't think about heat. You can wear good layers for that. I use IceBreaker Merino Base Layer. Expensive but really good as it does not stink even on a two week trip (alternate change daily, one day on one day off). If you feel cold use another thin upper body layer like a microfleece top. Don't use heavy quiltted salopettes. As a beginner you will work very hard and generate enormous amounts of heat in your legs. Good Glove are essential, don't skimp. I did at first and now swear by Spyder Gloves. Nearly £60 but worth every penny.

For a jacket you will want a good sturdy number with strong zips and pockets for all your rubbish. Think about what you carry. A pocket on the left wrist for an automatic card will be needed in the majority of resorts now. Will save lots of mucking around. In most resorts a waterproof rating of at least 5000mm/ 24 hr (5K)will be enough. If you ski ski in Scotland in the pissing rain try 15000mm/24hr (15K) . Taped seams are good. An elasticated 'Powder skirt' is essential for beginners as you will fall feet first and scoop up tons of snow which will melt on your tummy without one.

I would recommend visiting a 'POSH' ski shop and asking about jackets. Learn all you can then hum and haw about 'thinking about it'. Pop down TK Maxx and buy the same spec for £30. Really. Next year you will know from experience and will be a savvy buyer even if you have spent a week as a fashion ignorer.

Last words.

I spent a week in a chalet a few years ago with a couple with more money than sense. He had the money. She had no sense. Size 18 squeezed into a 16 maybe? Armani shiny silver matching jacket and trolleys. She was noticed.... By everyone .... In La Plagne..... All 20 000 of them.

Last Last words

Be comfortable. Have space to move. Try it on. Do bends and stretches and squats and draw the curtain. Yes for the jacket. If it leaves a gap to your back bottom it will get cold and wet.
Move your arms through full circles. it should stay close fitting but not get restrictively tight or flap around like an old ladies anorak on Basn Nevis.

Last Last Last words.

Keep your cash and any valuables on the inside. Some jackets even have little strops to tie your wallet to. Its easy to leave an outside pocket open particularly in Bulgaria where someone might just leave it open for you.

Take care. No point in pending a grand for a jacket on a budget ski resort. You will just attract charlatans. Look poor pay less. Save the Chanel for Courcheval!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sean869, If you run hot then go for a shell jacket with good pit zips. Much more versatile.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

very nice £400 is this a good brand and how much should i roughly be paying for one..

Around £50 in T K Maxx. mcspreader is a little optimistic about it being £30 but unless you are absolutely loaded, spending £400 for a jacket for your first trip is OTT. I ski for many weeks every year and have never spent anything like £400 on a jacket. You can almost get another holiday for that!

Have a look at this thread - loads of good advice. http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22621

And if you go to Courchevel, spell it right, not mcspreader's way) wink

Welcome to Snowheads. Hope your first holiday is a great success. snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
+1 Scarpa

That's exactly what you want. A good base layer, a thin fleece and and another thicker one should cover all the bases.

Pit zips are essential. It's easier to regulate your temperature with pit zips and removing/replacing your hat than by taking layers off. If you're going to wear a helmet, you'll probably just need a thin fleece. (with the proviso that you're not skiing in -30C)

The same goes for trousers, a good base layer, no lining and side vents.

You're going to fall over a lot, you'll probably get extremely hot at some point!

Take mcspreaders advice and don't spend a fortune.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A good shell is probably a bit OTT for a first trip, unless you get a super good deal. If you can get to Bicester Village, check out the North Face and Helly Hansen outlet shops though. Otherwise, if it's very warm you can just wear a normal jumper, and get a cheap standard jacket from TK Maxx/Millets/etc for if it's rainy/really cold. If money isn't a problem, well tbh £400 is still a lot for a jacket, in the summer sales you can get top of the line mountaineering shells for less than that. Also the North Face 3-in-1 jackets are around £200 - I used to use one and it was great quality and very versatile (I still use the insulation part sometimes).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks so much for your reply I've decided to take a trip down to tk max and john pollock to see what's available at the £100 mark. Do you have any other advise for a first time skier with no experience.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Do you have any other advise for a first time skier with no experience.

Get lessons - but I'm sure you're doing that already, and I've heard good things about the standard of instruction in Bulgaria.

If you don't normally do much exercise, some work on your leg muscles is worth while. Squats, lunges and hamstring bridges etc. Even just a few days can make a difference - though a few weeks is better.

Main thing is to have fun - and start saving up, because if you get hooked you'll find you might just want to go again. Soon. snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy