Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

EasyJet baggage allowances - the facts! (Read before you fly!)

Poster: A snowHead
I haven't had a chance to contact EJ today as yet,(been too busy at Hemel with rob@rar - thanks Rob Very Happy) but what Brian has written above is exactly as I understood things.

My situation is:

4 passengers with 3 hold bags paid for. Total allowance of 80kg (4 x 20kg) to be put in 3 bags with a maximum of 32kg in any bag to avoid any excess charges. Easy.

I actually booked ski carriage late last night which entitles me to an extra 12kg i.e. total allowance of 92kg with ski's officially allowed now.

Thanks for all the input guys - glad to see that luggage allowances are straightforward and consistent Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
achilles wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:
AxsMan wrote:
lynseyf, Ski boots as hand luggage - now that's another whole can of worms. Is it currently permitted? Lufthansa made us re-pack our boots in our main bags a couple of years ago Evil or Very Mad

anyone know what Easyjet et al allow these days?

there is a thread on here somewhere where someone confirmed with Luton customer services that boots as hand baggage is accepted by security at Luton. I'm goign to print it off and take it with me. It names teh customer sercvics manager.

Super. You now just hope the other end likes then as well. Why not just take a sensible amount of kit with you, throw the boots into hold luggage, and cut down the clutter you carry with you?

At Bristol airport TWO years ago I had my boots as hand luggage, security refused to allow me to go through!

They said they could be used as weapons!! Why the 'duty free' bottle of booze or anything else which can be bought airside and is heavy and potentially 'dangerous' is allowed on board I do not know. Did they really think I was going to club the pilot to death and then overpower the whole aircraft? You can just imagine it - "one false move and the stewardess gets a boot whipping..."

The biggest problem is the induvidual peoples interpretation of the rules and what sort of mood they're in on that day? They know you are to afraid to argue with them for fear of being bounced off the flight.

I thought holidays are meant to be fun, it always seems like a major battle of wits just trying to interpret the rules?
OK you expect airlines to make their booking procedures frustrating just to screw you for a few pennies more but to make the rules crystal clear, just how hard can it be?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
brian wrote:
riverman wrote:
brian, Iteresting, I thought that if you did not pay for a hold bag you did not get the 20 Kg allowance .

Yep, that's why I said, "you have to pay a hold bag charge for every bag in the hold".

Here are some examples:

1. 2 passengers on booking, no hold bags paid for = no hold bags allowed.

2. 2 passengers on booking, 1 hold bag paid for = 1 hold bag up to 32 kg allowed.

3. 4 passengers, 2 hold bags paid for = 2 hold bags, each up to 32kg individually, no more than 64kg in total.

4. 4 passengers, 6 hold bags paid for = 6 hold bags, each up to 32kg individually, no more than 80 kg in total.

No, no, no.

4 passengers each, with 32kg sports equipment bags, will have paid for 128kg in total, spread over 6 bags... if they have also bought extra bags.

Try to keep up, 007.

I can't believe this has run to 5 pages. Its not rocket science and if you think it is, just give them a call.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Touchguru, As you have only paid for 3 pieces of luggage your entitlement is 60 kg before excess charges. Now you have paid for sports gear the figure is now 72 Kg. Please read the Easy Jet conditions.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
riverman, that does not appear to be the case and I have checked the terms and conditions many times over.

See an excerpt of our booking confirmation e-mail relating to baggage (excluding the ski carriage which has been booked additionally)

3 Hold bag(s) per flight between all passengers combined
The 4 passenger(s) in this booking may check in a combined total of 3 hold bag(s) for each flight on this booking. The total hold weight must not exceed 80 kg.
If you wish to add hold bags to your booking, you can add the relevant charges to your booking.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Touchguru, Make sure you take that document with you as it does not confirm with current conditions. How long ago did you make the booking?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
riverman, It was the confirmation I received yesterday evening when I added ski carriage. My initial booking was made on 23rd August and says exactly the same thing.

I think there may be confusion between the 20kg allowance which is allowed per person as long as you have a hold bag paid for.

Once you have one hold bag booked your 20kg allowance comes into effect. If you have 2 passengers and one hold bag booked you have an aggregate allowance of 40kg BUT is is limited to 32kg which is the maximum weight for one hold bag.

If, in the above example, you add another hold bag to make 2 hold bags paid for, you can use that hold bag to carry 8kg of weight to get to your aggregate allowance for 2 persons of 40kg. Any more weight than this will result in you paying excess baggage charges no matter how many extra bags you pay for.

3 persons booked on this flight with 2 hold bags could carry 60kg split as 32kg and 28kg or any combination to get to 60kg as long as the weight of an individual bag does not exceed 32kg.

Someone with a bit of time on their hands should draw up a matrix of the permutations to make it easier to understand as all these written explanations I am sure are more confusing than helpful to some Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Touchguru, I agree with your first two examples but not the third one as you have only paid for 2 bags then your allowance is 40 Kg not 60kg. However your booking confirmation supports your position not mine. It does seem odd that the airline would carry a extra 20 Kgs of luggage for no extra charge as your example 2 and 3 shows. I give up, let me know hows it goes at the airport.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
riverman, will try and contact them tomorrow to confirm things.

I think the confusion results from bags vs allowance:

They aren't giving you 20kg extra allowance at no charge. Each passenger on a booking seems to be given a bag allowance as soon as one hold bag is paid for. You can take up your baggage allowance provided you have enough bags to take the weight.

The maximum bag weight is 32kg so, in the above example, as long as the 3rd person can allocate their baggage allowance into the two bags paid for, then they can take up to 20kg. (which they can do as the maximum weight that could be carried in 2 bags is 64kg BUT the total allowance is limited to 60kg (3 passengers x 20kg allowance)

It is the fact that the maximum bag weight is 32kg and not 20kg, that allows each passengers 20kg baggage allowance to be shared across bags if required.

Clear as mud?? Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
brian wrote:
riverman wrote:
brian, Iteresting, I thought that if you did not pay for a hold bag you did not get the 20 Kg allowance .

Yep, that's why I said, "you have to pay a hold bag charge for every bag in the hold".

Here are some examples:

1. 2 passengers on booking, no hold bags paid for = no hold bags allowed.

2. 2 passengers on booking, 1 hold bag paid for = 1 hold bag up to 32 kg allowed.

3. 4 passengers, 2 hold bags paid for = 2 hold bags, each up to 32kg individually, no more than 64kg in total.

4. 4 passengers, 6 hold bags paid for = 6 hold bags, each up to 32kg individually, no more than 80 kg in total.

Is this your interpretation of their written T&C, or have you had this information from somewhere else?

My interpretation of the T&C, in the absence of any other information, would be that only 20Kg would be allowed in case 2, and a maximum of 40Kg in case 3. Cases 1&$, I would agree with you.

But I can see that it is open to interpretation, and with you being so categoric, I wonder where you have that from.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
alex_heney, they spell out how it applies to you with your booking email, eg. from my latest booking:

"The 4 passenger(s) in this booking may check in a combined total of 2 hold bag(s) for each flight on this booking. The total hold weight must not exceed 64 kg."
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
brian, Thanks.

You can't get much more definite than that then Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The 32 kg per bag limit is a health and safety restriction for baggage handlers of all airlines.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mine and brian's booking e-mails confirm my understanding of the luggage allowances.

brian, "The 4 passenger(s) in this booking may check in a combined total of 2 hold bag(s) for each flight on this booking. The total hold weight must not exceed 64 kg."

Touchguru, The 4 passenger(s) in this booking may check in a combined total of 3 hold bag(s) for each flight on this booking. The total hold weight must not exceed 80 kg.

All sorted then.

TG
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
brian wrote:
alex_heney, they spell out how it applies to you with your booking email, eg. from my latest booking:

"The 4 passenger(s) in this booking may check in a combined total of 2 hold bag(s) for each flight on this booking. The total hold weight must not exceed 64 kg."

just because the total weight must no exceed 64 kg does not mean you have paid for 64kg. I read that as 2 x 20kg of paid for allowance, and if your bags are heavier (up to 32 kg each) then you can take them but you will/may be charged excess baggage
ski holidays
Touchguru, I am still not convinced, if you have paid for 3 bags you can take 3 bags irrespective of the number of travellers (EJ - Payment of the fee provides you with an aggregate allowance of 20kg across all pieces of hold baggage which may only be increased by payment of excess weight charges.) My understanding is that four people with 3 paid for bags will be allowed 60 kg a free carriage, and each bag may be 32 kg but you would be charged excess baggage (EJ - Where checked-in hold baggage exceeds 20kgs in weight (subject to the above rule), each passenger will pay an excess baggage charge per kg ….. ) Your extra ski booking could give you 32 kg for the person who technically does not have a hold bag booked (EJ - An additional non-refundable fee is charged per item per flight for the carriage of the sporting equipment....... Payment of the additional fee increases your checked-in hold baggage allowance (including additional item) to a maximum weight of 32kgs)

So perhaps 3 x 20kg plus 1 x 32kg means 92kg which is the same as your assessment, but I think you need to be a bit careful as to how you distribute the weight between the bags

Lets hope the snow is less muddy than the baggage allowances Very Happy
snow report
rayscoops wrote:
brian wrote:

just because the total weight must no exceed 64 kg does not mean you have paid for 64kg.

I think it does.

Quote:

I read that as 2 x 20kg of paid for allowance, and if your bags are heavier (up to 32 kg each) then you can take them but you will/may be charged excess baggage

If that were the case, then they would have said so. Unless they state that there would be extra charges, the email is telling you what you have paid for.
ski holidays
alex_heney, I disagree, the 32 kg is the Health & Safety threshold for a single bag, so EJ will allow a maximum of 64 kg on that basis, but it does not mean that 64 kg has been paid for. The T&C say each passenger is allowed 20 kg if they pay the fee, but may take 32 kg in a single bag but excess baggage is applicable. Any way that is how I read and how it has been for the last few years when I have been flying with them.

Enough of this now, we will all find out soon enough all the different interpretations from airport to airport when the season starts Very Happy
latest report
FFS, rayscoops, do you never ever read the points you are arguing against? Once again you are discarding categorical evidence to continue your assertions in the face of all the facts. If your interpretation were correct, then Touchguru's mail would say he were intitled to hold baggage up to 96kg, not 80kg. You lost, now face it.
latest report
rayscoops wrote:
alex_heney, I disagree,

Disagree all you like, but if they say you are entitled to 64Kg, and do not mention that it will incur extra cost, then the unfair terms in consumer contracts legislation would probably kick in if they tried to charge extra.

Quote:
the 32 kg is the Health & Safety threshold for a single bag, so EJ will allow a maximum of 64 kg on that basis,

Agreed. Otherwise the total allowable would be 80Kg (as it would be if 3 bags were booked, and as stated in Touchguru's booking confirmation).
ski holidays
GrahamN, it is not a competition and I am not aguing any point, I am simply putting forward what the T&C say as published on EJ website which are fact and that they may differ to the advice given by email, and I have had personal examples at check-in when one EJ member of staff has said one thing regarding allowances and another more senior one has disagreed, so even the staff are unclear as to how the baggage works

Also there is no reason for you to get personal and rude either
latest report
rayscoops and riverman, I have just contacted Easyjet on their 2 separate numbers for pre-flight 090 and post flight 0871 services, and spoke to two separate customer service agents.

Both confirmed that once you have a hold bag booked that all passengers on the booking are allowed their 20kg allowance subject to a maximum of 32kg per booked hold bag.

In my case (excluding the fact that I have now got ski carriage booked) if I have 3 hold bags booked and 4 passengers paid for I have a hold bag allowance of 80kg which I can split over the 3 hold bags in any permutation I like as long as any one bag is not over 32kg.

This is consistent with their e-mail confirmations to both myself and brian so we can take it that this is the current EJ policy. All sorted!!

(I think pulling teeth whilst simultaneously splitting the atom would be simpler than navigating their baggage policy Happy )
ski holidays
I can't believe people find it all so confusing.
snow conditions
Touchguru, sorted then and quite clear based upon your advice, but take a copy of your email with you because from experience the desk staff may not interpret the rules in the same manner as the customer services wink

Let us know how you get on Very Happy
ski holidays
 brian
brian
rayscoops, if anecdotal evidence is acceptable. wink I've done the same booking as above (4 pax, 2 paid bags) multiple times in the last year or two, with the 2 bags both being over 20kg, and they've never charged me any excess.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rayscoops, ALWAYS take a hard copy of any booking I make. Although it may appear over the top I also record the date, time and name of anyone I speak to if receiving oral confirmation regarding anything. (Call me anal but travelled enough to know that if something can go wrong it invariably does Very Happy )

Will let you know of my EJ experience as and when I complete my trip
snow conditions
Next permutation Wink

Travelling alone, I have a skibag that will be able to hold all my luggage + skis, coming in at under 20kg. What do I have to pay for:
1) Just 1 hold bag, as the T&C (or more accurately, carrier's regs) say nothing about physical size of bag;
2) Just 1 sports equipment, as that gives me the 1 hold piece - and would I then actually have a 32kg allowance, or just 20kg, or just 12kg (although that would seem a bit stingy as I'm paying 3x what I'd normally pay for one 20kg bag);
3) sports equipment and hold bag - which would give me 32kg and the 2 pieces....but I only need 20kg and 1 piece;
?

(up to now I've actually always done 3, and I think the only previous time I have been with a single skibag I was with BA anyway)
ski holidays
GrahamN, I would say 2, and from what rayscoops says, that is what he does.

I don't think you can get away with 1, because regardless of size, it does specifically mention the various sports equipment items as incurring an additional charge.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GrahamN, you will definitely need to take ski carriage as you are taking sports equipment. EJ customer service confirmed this for me on Sunday when I contacted them about this. So option 1 is out unfortunately.

I am not sure though if you can just take up the option of sports equipment and no hold baggage and qualify for a 32kg allowance. as in your option 2. I don't see why not but ohers may know this, although as I have found out, it is always best to contact EJ to check on this.
ski holidays
brian wrote:
rayscoops, if anecdotal evidence is acceptable. wink I've done the same booking as above (4 pax, 2 paid bags) multiple times in the last year or two, with the 2 bags both being over 20kg, and they've never charged me any excess.

Absolutely and last season the T&C/Carrier Regs stated that the 20 kg allowance was free with the flight but you had to pay for every bag that made up that allowance, so I have no doubt that is how it was for you. EJ is the main airline I use out of Bristol (more than 5 times a year) so I took it a step further and would only pay for ski carriage at £16.50 and no hold baggage because I had 20 kg free (the baggage fee was 0 x £6 = £0) and I had an extra 12 kg ski allowance, which meant I had 32 kg to stuff in to my board bag. On my last trip however the desk staff tried to charge me 4 kg excess baggage for my 16 kg board bag and I had to argue my case (no pun intended wink ) that I was entitled to 32 kg and in any case I had paid more for my board bag than some one who had paid for one hold bag at 20kg and they agreed with me but still charged me the excess but then gave me an immediate rebate Puzzled which must have got them around some technicality. Btw I normally try to keep my board bag below 20 kg to make it all equitable Little Angel

The T&C/Carrier Regs have changed again from last season and there are conflicting messages so until I take my first flight personally for me all bets are off, but I think I will argue this one (EJ - An additional non-refundable fee is charged per item per flight for the carriage of the sporting equipment....... Payment of the additional fee increases your checked-in hold baggage allowance (including additional item) to a maximum weight of 32kgs) as saying that I can have 32 kg (no mention of an 'extra 12 kg' as it was last year) if I pay for ski equipment only and no hold baggage, but I will keep the weight down to 20 kg just in case wink

edit - just booked my flights, ski equipment only paid for - so no hold baggage paid Shocked

my email automated confirmation included this ........ EJ - Each passenger is entitled to carry 20 kg of hold baggage spread over a maximum of 8 hold bags. Extra weight may be purchased during the booking process, otherwise excess weight fees will be payable at the airport if the total weight exceeds 20 kg. If you need to take more bags than you have currently booked, please add the relevant charges to your booking. Purchasing additional bags does not increase your weight allowance. Each paying passenger may take one standard piece of hand baggage, dimensions 55x40x20cm. The number of standard checked-in hold baggage stated for your booking must weigh no more than 20kg in total. The 20kg hold bag weight allowance (per passenger) does not increase with the addition of further hold bags. Extra weight may be purchased during the booking process. Additional charges payable at the airport will apply if you exceed the pre-paid weight limit......
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy