Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to alps - stops en-route

Poster: A snowHead
@AndAnotherThing.., Hotel de la Paix in Beaune. http://www.qualys-hotel.com/hotel/france/bourgogne/beaune/de-la-paix?gclid=CjwKEAjw8bO3BRDp0bP_vL-7_lASJACL_d6wKAiWwmiN_MFMwv5RBdEr-ohWe8bY83fTVPaVwsYXfhoCfJvw_wcB
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Hells Bells, cheers Smile
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A long time since the last post, but a new season coming up. We travelled down on Sunday this week, which is always awkward, as a lot of our favourites have a closed restaurant. We found a new addition to our list in the Hotel Relais de Fleurettes in Pontavert, just North of Reims on the Chemin des Dames. http://relais-de-fleurette.fr/. Nice room (it was in fact a family suite with separate room with folding sofa bed) overlooking the courtyard garden, and a pleasant meal in the restaurant, which was quite busy for a Sunday evening. They do these suites for up to 6 people if necessary, ideal for the larger family, and we had a great breakfast too. It also has a spa with pool.
The only downside to this hotel would be that you are North of the Reims toll booths if you are hoping for a quick exit on a peak weekend.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://www.aupredumoulin.fr/en/

Just south of Reims. 15 mins off the motorway. It's a farmhouse in a very quiet village. Very safe parking. Lovely rooms. Delightful host, plus she will cook you a superb dinner. I just hope it's not full of snowheads next time I try to book.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Based on the recommendation of @jbob last year, I have stayed at the above twice. It is our official half way to and from Chamonix stop off place. Back in early January. Valerie the boss is fantastic.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Another vote for hotel ibis styles beaune here. Family room spot on for about £100
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
How about the Maison Olivier LeFlaive in Puligny Montrachet ... have the 9 wine tasting menu in a boutique hotel in the heart of one of the most famous wine village, 5 minutes from the Beaune exit. We stayed there a few weeks ago thought it was great, and made note to self that it would make a great, if not stylish stop off on the way to the Alps. The receptionist said that the are closed in January, but when they reopen in February they have plenty of skiers stopping over.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We always stop by the Macon Nord payage - just north of Lyon - there's a F1 and an Ibis budget within sight of the motorway and a truckers restaurant opposite with a bar serving good value meals (although I may have read somewhere this has now closed). Within 5 mins drives there also a large shopping centre and restaurants where we always stock up on food when we're self catering before driving on to the Alps.

From there the following morning we can usually get to resort by lunch time the next day.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Drove down to the mountains last month and stopped in Troyes at the Hôtel du cirque Troyes centre historique - found it on Booking.com at £51, extra £7 for parking which is in their secure gated car park (they have some lock-up parking bays for extra security), and another £7 if you want breakfast - which is typical continental style fare but the croissants and pain-au-chocolat were good and plentiful and we stocked up with some for the road so great value in my opinion. We paid an extra £5 as we were taking the dog with us. Booked it both out and back. Rooms were absolutely fine, bathrooms maybe a bit pokey but perfectly functional with nice power showers for freshening up.
On the way out the room was a double, on the way back for the same price they put us in a "family room" with two decent bedrooms - one double and one twin room.
They don't speak much English but are friendly enough and obviously used to bumbling Brits like ourselves so no problems at all.
There's a really nice restaurant in the town centre about 10 mins walk away called L'Illustre which is also dog friendly - myself and my girlfriend ate there on both ends of our ski trip and enjoyed it both times. Two course meal with drinks will set you back between €20 to €35 a head. There's actually a comment on the Booking.com site saying you can reserve a table at the restaurant via the hotel when you book the room - I didn't spot it when I booked, just found it through Tripadvisor as it is one of the best reviewed in the town and close by. Often these "bundle" deals are a bit of a con maybe for a restaurant that is flagging but I'd say not in this case.
There are a few supermarkets in Troyes so you can stock up if you are self-catering.
Am looking for a last minute deal for this coming weekend and will definitely consider stopping here again if that pans out and they have availability.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dijon is wonderful.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just over six hours driving from Calais will get you to Lons le Saunier. You could stop off there and then drive over the Jura and down to Oyonnax, before joining the motorway towards Geneva. This route cuts off a big loop of motorway, avoids motorway tolls, and has lovely scenery.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not sure it would be in the right direction, but we used to drive to a lot of MotoGP and WSBK races in the past. We used to get a B&B in Dover, then had no problem getting to Interlaken. We always went to this amazing restaurant. Only the front façade is build on the mountain, the rest overhangs - giving amazing vies. We used to stay in a cheap hotel, called Rugenpak I think. We then would pick a mountain pass, but most likely that wouldn't be an option in winter. I drive pretty fast, so we used to get to Interlaken about 4pm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=24&v=3x_Z42ztomM

https://www.luegibrueggli.ch/
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We headed back into central Reims for the first time in a while. Easy to get to Place Drouet d'Erlon, underground parking if you're low enough, and outdoor parking opposite if you're not. Stayed this time in newly refurbed Best Western Hotel de Centre (used to be Hotel du Nord). Small glass doorway next to 3 Brasseurs restaurant opposite the Hotel Bristol. Rooms very small and very hot. So a good location, but I might have to book a different hotel next time (probably the Bristol) although I do have to say the breakfast was very good. Pastries, ham, cheese, scrambled eggs, bacon and an egg boiler. Fresh coffee, juice etc etc. We did intend a visit to the Christmas market, but they'd moved it from our last visit, and it was raining, so we dived into a bar instead.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I quite fancy visiting Beaune. Questions for you helpful folk:

- a hotel with properly secure parking so that I do not have to unload the car. We are pack g for a full season so will have a lot of stuff!

- are there cabs/uber? Thinking of leaving car at hotel and going to eat out...

- so need an infant friendly restaurant, as we have a newish baby with us.

The obvious answer is a hotel with secure parking, a good restaurant near enough the room that a baby monitor will work! But booking a cheaper hotel option and taking a cab to a fine dinner seems like a good plan too.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Harry Flashman, there are a couple of very central hotels in Beaune with parking. One had parking right outside the room and was a short walk to several good restaurants. Don't think they were close enough for a baby monitor though. All will be happy for a baby to accompany. I've no doubt there will be cabs if you choose one on the edge of town. Ones in town with parking include Hotel de la Paix, Hotel de la Cloche and there may be others.
snow report
There is also a Mercure in Beaune with decent fences round the car park - not central though.
snow conditions
Hotel de la paix has a locked gate to the courtyard parking.
snow conditions
Hells Bells wrote:
Hotel de la paix has a locked gate to the courtyard parking.

Looks very nice I must say...
snow conditions
Thanks all!
ski holidays
Tend to go to Beaune as it’s a bit further on but had a nice overnight in Langres a few years back at Le Belevedere des Remparts, slightly quirky but lovely, really should go back and maybe try the Cheval Blanc.
snow report
Welcome to snowHeads @Woodchucker, snowHead
latest report
I normally stop in Dover going down, then get an early ferry, and do the whole trip. Normally there before 8pm.

The Travelodge in Dover is incredibly cheap. £53 for for a triple room.

On the way back, last 2 years stopped in Ypres. See the ceremony at Menin Gate(this year in the pouring rain, but still a huge turnout), visit Flanders Field museum if there early enough. Buzzing little town, with some great bars and restaurants. We stop at Hotel New Regina. Lovely place, and they'll even put a fabulous breakfast on early for you(7am for us). Then about an hour drive to Calais.

Been to Ypres twice. Plan 2 road trips next year. Maybe do Ypres again, and also try somewhere else close by.
ski holidays
Gilgamesh wrote:
....Been to Ypres twice. Plan 2 road trips next year. Maybe do Ypres again, and also try somewhere else close by.

We did a tour of Europe en route (and back) from Tuscany last Summer, Ypres was out first stop; loved the place, such an atmospheric town. Missed the Menin gate ceremony by a few minutes unfortunately. But we'll definitely return, as it's handy from calais whether you're driving through Belgium or just want a slight detour. Can definitely recommend the Novotel - family rooms actually have two separate rooms so the kids (and adults) can have privacy, plus they have some basic cooking facilities. 200yds from the main square as well.
snow report
Specialman wrote:
Gilgamesh wrote:
....Been to Ypres twice. Plan 2 road trips next year. Maybe do Ypres again, and also try somewhere else close by.

We did a tour of Europe en route (and back) from Tuscany last Summer, Ypres was out first stop; loved the place, such an atmospheric town. Missed the Menin gate ceremony by a few minutes unfortunately. But we'll definitely return, as it's handy from calais whether you're driving through Belgium or just want a slight detour. Can definitely recommend the Novotel - family rooms actually have two separate rooms so the kids (and adults) can have privacy, plus they have some basic cooking facilities. 200yds from the main square as well.

I love Tuscany. Been to a huge number of towns and villages there, like Sienna, Arezzo, Monteriggioni, Pisa, San Gimignano, and Florence of course. I love Florence, but it's expensive - much more so than Rome. Managed to get to the top of the Cathedral in Florence twice, which is quite a climb, but the views are amazing - although you can't see The Arno from up there. I love Venice and Garda too. Hiring a speedboat for half day, and going right up the lake to Limone sul Garda is great fun.

Anyway, enough of that. I'll remember Novotel if we can't get in Hotel New Regina(actually in the main square). That place is faultless though. I'd also recommend Vivaldi Restaurant. We all had Flemish Stew, and it just couldn't have been better. I'd like to try Bastogne, just because of Band of Brothers, but it's quite a bit further from Calais, so probably won't get to.
snow report
Gilgamesh wrote:
....I'd like to try Bastogne, just because of Band of Brothers, but it's quite a bit further from Calais, so probably won't get to.

I have an itch to head that way, but more from a cycling POV (Liege-Bastogne-Liege, the oldest monument race). I do have a trip to Mons area planned for a family war trip but that a story for another time....

ken_1969 wrote:
Drove down to the mountains last month and stopped in Troyes at the Hôtel du cirque Troyes centre historique - found it on Booking.com at £51.....

Noted for our March trip, thanks for the tip. We've provisionally booked in another place in Troyes but Hotel Cirque is roughly same price and it looks to be a bit easier to find (not in the one-way system) and the parking looks a bit easier/more ample. This is exactly why Bookmarked this thread LOL
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy