Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boarding for Beginners: Part I

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks for posting this Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi all.....I've just bougt my first board, a Salomon Riot 2010.....Do I need to have it filed?? Or can I just get on the slope & go?! I'll be riding in a snow dome for now. All advice greatly appeciated!! Smile Many thanks.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dhenry72,

If I were you I would de tune the edges at the nose and tail with a file and then use a diamond file and gummy stone to smooth out any burrs. Be careful not to get any of the filings onto the base tho'. A good hot wax would be a decent idea as well to add some protection to your brand new pride and joy !
Google the subject and you'll find some crackin' "how to" videos on You Tube.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great post first class i recently took up snowboarding and has been easily the hardest sport i have done so far. Theres alot of good tips in this post and will have an update when ive tryed them out. NehNeh
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
most useful thing i was told was just look at side cut of board i.e imagine a plank then a big circle cutting out each side..if that makes sense? then let the board flow through the whole length of the circle..dont force it..plus if you dont surf or skate start off quite narrow with front angle 18-26 degree , rear also pointing forward 6 to 12 degree...keep weight on front foot and feel the flow. its quite a 'hard boot' way to learn but give good tech
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
That's great and helpful, but the problem is that . , Snow boarding is bit difficult for the beginars and it can take years of practice to perfect.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ive got 25 weeks + skiing under my belt but want to take up snowboarding for next season. Thinking of starting off with lessons on the local dry slope before progressing to the snowdome. Is this a good idea. Certainly helped me learning to ski 19 years ago.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the info Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just about to get my first lesson on a board and sample the dark side. 1 question RE: Regular or goofy..?

As above:

I kick a ball with my right foot (pretty well) = Regular
I slide on a floor / ice, right foot first = Goofy
Fall test result = Goofy
Used to skateboard = Goofy

Do I need to see a doctor..? Confused
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I kick with right but fall test is left.... so don't worry NehNeh
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Put it this way, the first few lessons I took, I rode goofy, then switched to regular and stayed that way... However those early learning experiences as a goof meant that I took to switch riding really quickly.

Mac22, sounds like you're goofy, go with it.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Is it that critical? If you able to switch, then you should be able to go down both ways and just go with what is comfortable at the time? Am I wrong? I've only done boarding once and only just started turns (mostly did sideslipping, traverse and leafing), but found myself heading down either way at times, purely cause at that time and where I was on the slope, that made sense at that moment.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's entirely a matter of personal preference. People usually favour one leg over the other, the same way they're left or right handed. If there's a way you find easier than the other then theres your answer.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
im new to snowboarding and to snowheads, but i was woundering if any of you out there have driven to france during christmas new year and where you went and if you have any advice about accomodation along the way.:-]
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi, welcome.
I got no experience so can't help but maybe if you post in the "Resort Reviews and Trip Reports" you might get more of a response.
Although, everyone is helpful here so I'm sure you'll get some assistance.
snow report
Can I put a word in for the sane people who ski? Generally we tolerate you plank-worriers damaging our slopes but when it come to chair lift etiquette, the novice branch of your fraternity would do well to to remember the following: you should mount the chair lift on the side towards which your snowboard swings away from the seat (which will obviously depend on whether you are goofy or not). Also, you should try to get a lift buddy with the same stance orientation (preferably the entire chair). The single biggest casue of falls at the top of chair lifts that I have seen is where a novice boarder decides to plant his or her butt in the centre of the chair lift and force everyone else to either side of them. This means that when they shape to dismount (as described above) their board almost invariable gets in someone else's way - could be another boarder or a skiier - and they can get tangled up. This is especially bad when a goofy novice and a regular novice have not thought about it and end up taking each other out becasue their boards are trying to swing in opposing directions on the dismount. A moments thought BEFORE you hit the lift queue will save you much grief at the top.

Also Masque has been very kind and wise and told you grommets to plant and glide - do NOT thrash around trying to push away at the dismount point - step on the stomp pad and glide. There are people - and I am not saying I am one - who will drop a novice boarder off the side of the nearest black run for catching them in the knee with a board whilst trying to walk/stagger away from the dismount point - you have been warned.

Masque - nice advice in general and about the T-Bar specifically - been there, done that, got the partial DIY briss .....
snow report
I know this was ages ago but what a brilliant post. I have tried (not very hard) twice to learn to board but only when the snow is too yucky for me to want to ski. So not great for boarding either! I'll be printing out this write up and taking it with me so I can have a go at learning the basics on a quite bit of snow before I get someone to help me learn on the slopes proper. Thanx lots
latest report
The thing that hurts the knees the most whilst snowboarding is trying push yourself along with one foot while the other is strapped as your strapped in leg (and therefore knee) twist considerably. Try to strap your board on as close as possible to the lifts.
latest report
Thanks for this post - I registered for this forum on the strength of the information here!
snow report
theburrows, Welcome to snowHeads
ski holidays
Thanks! Call it a new year resolution of mine. Always wanted to test myself on the slopes and i am loving that there is a wealth of information here.
snow conditions
Ive started a beginner course, but I can get the toe edge ok, but keep falling over when i try and go from toe top heel, the instructor says im not turning and looking into the turn smooth enough? Anything I should be thinking of when doing it?
ski holidays
Sarny, Get yourself a copy of Go Snowboard by Neil McNab - all will be revealed.
snow report
cad99uk wrote:
Sarny, Get yourself a copy of Go Snowboard by Neil McNab - all will be revealed.

This, definitely. The DVD interaction with the book enables you to learn aesthetically which generally makes for faster learning for the majority. Its great stuff in there and can benefit riders of beginner to intermediate at least.

I find the hands on knees drill probably the most beneficial bit of help I have received to date in my limited boarding career.
ski holidays
dennisp, Another good drill for you. If you ride regular: Left hand gripping jacket at your right shoulder, right hand gripping seam of right trouser leg at hip level. This keeps your upper body nicely in line with the board.
ski holidays
Awesome read, i cant tell you how good that is! props to you Very Happy
snow report
RattytheSnowRat wrote:
Can I put a word in for the sane people who ski? Generally we tolerate you plank-worriers damaging our slopes but when it come to chair lift etiquette, the novice branch of your fraternity would do well to to remember the following: you should mount the chair lift on the side towards which your snowboard swings away from the seat (which will obviously depend on whether you are goofy or not). Also, you should try to get a lift buddy with the same stance orientation (preferably the entire chair). The single biggest casue of falls at the top of chair lifts that I have seen is where a novice boarder decides to plant his or her butt in the centre of the chair lift and force everyone else to either side of them. This means that when they shape to dismount (as described above) their board almost invariable gets in someone else's way - could be another boarder or a skiier - and they can get tangled up. This is especially bad when a goofy novice and a regular novice have not thought about it and end up taking each other out becasue their boards are trying to swing in opposing directions on the dismount. A moments thought BEFORE you hit the lift queue will save you much grief at the top.

Also Masque has been very kind and wise and told you grommets to plant and glide - do NOT thrash around trying to push away at the dismount point - step on the stomp pad and glide. There are people - and I am not saying I am one - who will drop a novice boarder off the side of the nearest black run for catching them in the knee with a board whilst trying to walk/stagger away from the dismount point - you have been warned.

Masque - nice advice in general and about the T-Bar specifically - been there, done that, got the partial DIY briss .....

The biggest cause of stacks exiting chairlifts is skiers using their poles and planting one right in front of a board
snow report
Thanks for this informative post. I wish someone had shown me how to go down the fall line the way you describe because I think this has affected my lack of confidence in turning (I started learning this year on an artificial slope, then at Hemel Hempstead and then 4hrs of private in Austria). Essentially, I don't really know how to ride down the fall line (other than watching videos of how to do it!) and find it hard to make myself lean down the slope (i.e. going with the board!) which affects my turns as I'm scared to keep my weight balanced and over/into the front foot. My question is, can I 'fix' this given my access to mellow slopes is minimal (ie the bottom 10% of the slope at HH!) or can I practice doing other stuff to help me stay forward with the board?. I'm learning to ride switch at the bottom of the slope which I think is helping as I have to commit my weight into the turn but I wonder if there's anything else I can try Puzzled
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Totes Newbie, Hey Totes - Welcome to SH - Your describing a very common scenario, keeping your weight central to the board can be tricky when you're not feeling confident or are getting tired later in the day. Maybe you can try this...

Standing on your board, while you're sliding normally (i.e. NOT in a turn), just try to weight the outside of both feet at the same time by 'rotating' your feet towards the tip and tail of the board at the same time - and it is a rotation of the foot, not a roll or your knees will bag out. If you feel that one foot is doing all the work and getting all the pressure then it's very likely you've got your weight over that foot so try to compensate so that pressure feels even. Relax to normal and do a few turns, then repeat.

As always, keep your knees soft and over your toes, hips and back reasonably straight and in line (we are NOT at home to Mr.Gorilla!), and try to keep the upper body nice and relaxed and still.
snow conditions
Hi @Richard_Sideways - Ok, I think I get it - external rotation of ankles/feet not knees and try to feel even pressure, I'll give it a try thank you!
ski holidays
@Totes Newbie, No problem - its not a drill or anything, just a tool to check yourself - give it a go see if it helps snowHead

You can try it right now - you don't need a board or anything - just stand up, consciously weight one of your feet a little heavier than the other, then just apply some rotational pressure to both feet and see what you feel
snow conditions
My friend is snowboarding for the first time this season and I suggested the first thing he should learn is how to fall properly. @Masque mentioned it briefly in his post. I did a quick search online and found this video which does a pretty good job at giving tips
http://youtube.com/v/LPRABi5BhKM

Hope it helps others here!
ski holidays
Rolling into a defensive ass ball and try to roll with it is the default response to a fall... or it should be. Never is. You always stick out an arm or something no matter how much you try not.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy