Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First time buyer skis and boots

Poster: A snowHead
Hey all,

Just back from my first skiing experience, a week in Andorra (Arinsal), and despite the lack of snow i absolutely loved it. Already planning another week away in the next couple of months. Can't believe i spent so long wasting my time on sun holidays which didnt compare to this.

Now that i am a full blooded skiing enthusiast, i have decided to go the whole hog and invest in skis and boots. I am 25, a beginner/ intermediate, am 182cm and 90kgs. I have bought a couple of skiing mags trying to educate myself about the choices available but would always rather an unbiased opinion. So please all let me know your recommendations. Thus far i am leaning towards the Head C220i at 170 and matching Head Edge 7.8s. I mention the Head equipment as thier website has been the most informative that i have visited yet and consequently they seemed the most suitable.

Also, is it always cheaper to buy equipment when abroad? The ellis brigham and snow and rock websites seemed alot more expensive when compared to the prices i saw in the ski shops in Arinsal?

Looking forward to your advice,
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
thedavman, welcome to snowHead

I'd say the first thing to do is get boots. Forget the brand. Get the ones that fit best. For that you need a decent bootfitter. I'd suggest buying in resort (particularly in the likes of Andorra, which is known for being cheaper), so that if they don't fit well, you can go back each day of your trip and get them adjusted as necessary.

Rent skis for this season, and maybe look at getting some in the sales at the end of the season.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Head skis are generally excellent, can't go too far wrong there.

Last year's ski models normally sell at huge discounts and you won't be able to tell the difference. Look for deals with at least 30% off the retail, you can often get 40-50% if you sniff around. Never pay full retail for skis.

Boots on the other hand are a very different story. Go to a reputable ski shop and get a pro boot fitter to sort you out. Choose whatever fits you well regardless of colour, manufacturer or cost. Head boots might be great, but if they don't suit your specific foot shape they won't work.

Concentrate firstly on getting the right boots and then add the skis when you see a bargain.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Forget about the ski's for now and get the boots sorted first. I got mine in Andorra a couple of years ago fairly cheap and was delighted that I didn't have to mess about with rental ones after that but I only got ski's though at the end of last season.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ok, well where do you start. if you're adament that you have the bug the buy some boots. No-one here will say "buy Saloman boots" or "buy Head Boots". Go to a good shop, with a good bootfitter (you will find S&R and E&B get questionable write-ups in this area) and get a good pair of boots that fit well. This will increase you're enjoyment of skiing more than anything else and will help you become a better skier. This is arguably the most important purchase as a skier.

As for ski's, i would leave it for the moment. You are just starting out and will develop your skills quickly. Therefore, if you buy beginners ski's you will ski them out in a couple of weeks. Buy more advanced skis and they could inhibit your skiing now and stop you developing as quickly. Hire for the moment, get used to what you like, where you like to ski on the mountain (piste, off-piste, park) and then in a year or 5's time look at buying.

As soon as you have your own skis you have to carry them from home to resort, something that should be remebered when you buy.

Finally, S&R and E&B are not overly cheap, look on the web, look on eBay and look at some independents. But please don't buy boots without getting them fitted first at a good shop, your feet will hate you!!!!!

Oh, and welcome to snowHeads snowHead snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Will most ski resorts have a pro bootfitter in store, or do i need to be selective where i go for the next holiday?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'll chip in here just to offer an alternative view. One thing to consider with boots is that the sort that suit you as a beginner (or aspiring intermediate as S&R say wink ) are not the same ones you will need as you improve. The main trade off is between boots that are softer, more comfortable and forgiving to a beginner Vs ones that are stiffer and less forgiving but give better control for more advanced skiing. So, by all means get yourself some boots now, especially if you can get a good price on the Heads, but just be aware that in a few years you will probably want to trade up.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well the way i looked at it, for the sake of splashing out a few quid now i will have the comfort of having my own boots and wont have to experience the cold smelly rental ones, besides if i visit the dry slope here a few times together with a few holidays over time they will have saved me a tidy sum.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Don't get skis yet as WTFH says get the boots and get them fitted properly its worth working on this and spending some quality time with a boot fitter until you are happy.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Buy the boots, tell the fitter what level you are and how often you'e planning on skiing and they will sort you out with something appropriate. If you're planning on hitting the dry slopes as well you're be very grateful for having spent that money.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thedavman wrote:
Well the way i looked at it, for the sake of splashing out a few quid now i will have the comfort of having my own boots and wont have to experience the cold smelly rental ones, besides if i visit the dry slope here a few times together with a few holidays over time they will have saved me a tidy sum.

Money well spent! The cost of new boots Vs hire doesn't work out too well unless you ski more than 1 week a year or get a good price, but just having bought some new ones myself I'm happy to pay the money for the comfort and know that they fit right. You won't regret it.
Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My thoughts exactly, besides 3 of my mates are qualified instructors and all mad keen to bring me out with them so im confident whatever i get will receive alot of use.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
zebedee wrote:
I'll chip in here just to offer an alternative view. One thing to consider with boots is that the sort that suit you as a beginner (or aspiring intermediate as S&R say wink ) are not the same ones you will need as you improve. The main trade off is between boots that are softer, more comfortable and forgiving to a beginner Vs ones that are stiffer and less forgiving but give better control for more advanced skiing. So, by all means get yourself some boots now, especially if you can get a good price on the Heads, but just be aware that in a few years you will probably want to trade up.

Sure, you'll be looking to trade up to a higher performance boot in a few years, but that doesn't mean buying a bargain priced pair now. If they don't fit properly, it could well be a few years of hell ahead.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fair point, best bet is to go somewhere that has most of the main brands available and then visit somewhere else if there are other boots out there you want to try. It took me 2 visits to choose, one to try on all the boots that might be suitable (4 of them) and after that I could narrow it down to 2 that fitted well, then went back a few days later to try them both on for a bit longer.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
where abouts in ireland are you?

Macski In Belfast did my boots for me and they are spot on Smile

Also about the skis, google ski bilek or sport conrad. I think they're both German and the prices are substantially cheaper than here.
worth a look Smile
snow report
there are some great bargains here
http://www.sport-conrad.de/art_page01.asp?kat_id=51
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy