Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz / Morzine / Les Gets / Chatel - 2007/8

Poster: A snowHead
crosbie, Nah .. grass slopes take no time to cover / get ski-able if the weather is cold enough ... don't worry
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PhillipStanton, Ah---- Glad you're back as I've missed your reports ! need them even more now as only a week before I'm out there Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
crosbie, in all truth I have absolutely no idea as I've not skied in the area for long enough to be able to take an informed view. Maybe one of the more seasoned locals may be able to offer a view.

An uninformed view is that it's still possible as most of lower lying terrain is pasture and easily covered - so a single good snowfall can open the lower Les Gets slopes, but not the upper ones that have rocks on them.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Agenterre. Nice to hear.

I'm off on the 14th April, and have done the PDS circuit a few times. Sometimes getting chairs down, sometimes skiing across the roads in the valley floor.

Just wondered if it was possible that the ground needed a permafrost effect to prevent any late snow melting too quickly.

I'll cross my fingers for a big dump just before I get there then. Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PhillipStanton, Oh, right. That makes sense. Thanks. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
crosbie, I've only known the area for a couple of years and have been surprised at the area's capability to 'revive' itself. Having said that April 14th is 'relatively' late for that area in my (very) limited experience . In the last 2 years when it has warmed up it has got 'Hot' and no base in the world can support warm ground.

Davidof is very knowledgeable about the effects of climate and snow on the terrain. Research some of his posts for the ''physics' behind what really goes on.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Agenterre, I know it's late - it's the last week that the accommodation I'm in is available. It may even be the last week of the season.

I've been in the last week before and it's dumped down with superb conditions: deep snow, warm, perfect visibility, sunny. And remember, perfect skiing weather only happens a few times in a skier's lifetime. wink

But it doesn't really matter. Just one of those things to wonder about beforehand...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PhillipStanton, Try and keep us all updated please Phil Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
crosbie wrote:
Agenterre, I know it's late - it's the last week that the accommodation I'm in is available. It may even be the last week of the season.

The last week of the season in Avoriaz is normally 1st May and we've skied on that date for the last two years. Annoyingly, last year they closed on 1st even though the snow was great and the Monday was a bank holiday. rolling eyes
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yup, it seems it's like that. If they're prepared to close low resorts due to no snow, then given excellent post-season snow maybe they should prepare to stay open until the snow becomes below par - at least. Sad

I skied Le Tour (Chamonix) on its last day of the season once. They'd still bashed it anyhow (plenty of snow).

It was scary because given the perfect conditions (visibility, untouched pistes) and about 3 skiers on the mountain, you tended to red-line the old speedometer and pray you didn't get tripped up by a stray ice cube... Skullie
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Another day of low mileage - mainly looping the Arare 1 and 2 drag lifts. If anyone was out on the Bleue d'Arare and saw six people doing teapot impressions then that was us...

...anyway, more abismal weather. I'm not sure if it was better or worse than yesterday - we lasted the day, but my kit was soaked through by the time I got off the mountain. It's hard to generalise about run conditions - the Bleue d'Arare and Prolays both had very good snow - although high traffic areas are either brownish slush (at best) or slushy water at worst.

On the bright side, there's still enough on the ground to give a good base in most areas if the cold weather and snow in the forecasts comes off next week.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
From here:
http://www.avoriaz.com/ski-holidays/snowsports/pistes-map.php

It seems that Le Crot is still open. That must be pretty grotty - a bit of a slush puppy by the time you get to the bottom no doubt?

Is it very busy with everone from Les Gets/Morzine, etc?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
crosbie - those members of our group who used to go home via Le Crot no longer do so. It's not just the conditions, it's the other skiers - you don't want a collission in concrete-like slush Wink

It is busy compared to how it would be - but not manic. Half term is going to be beyond hell unless Morzine and Les Gets open up again.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
managed to get on the slopes for 3 pm yesterday. nice lady selling us tickets looked at us as though we were mad. got to avoriaz where visibility was poor so just did the proclu for an hour or two and then down to ardent. pistes surprisingly good compared to what i was expecting and completely empty. off higher today hopefully
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ashton parker, Thanks for the report, let us know how you get on higher up, cheers.
snow report
Hi all,

I'm driving to Les Gets on the 3rd Feb and have seen a long term forecast which is predicting warm temps again by then, now I know forecasts past 3 days are very unreliable but I just wondered if anyone could advise me whether its too far to drive to Chamonix for the higher conditions if need be.

Cheers guys.
snow conditions
d2dja wrote:
Hi all,

I'm driving to Les Gets on the 3rd Feb and have seen a long term forecast which is predicting warm temps again by then, now I know forecasts past 3 days are very unreliable but I just wondered if anyone could advise me whether its too far to drive to Chamonix for the higher conditions if need be.

Cheers guys.

Noh .. dead easy ..listen to the doom-mongers here and you'll be able to get a suntan with the hood down en route as well rolling eyes
ski holidays
PhillipStanton wrote:
crosbie - those members of our group who used to go home via Le Crot no longer do so. It's not just the conditions, it's the other skiers - you don't want a collission in concrete-like slush Wink

It is busy compared to how it would be - but not manic. Half term is going to be beyond hell unless Morzine and Les Gets open up again.

At this rate will Les Gets open again this season?

I am over there on 25th Feb and now wondering if there will be any snow at all with warm temps being suggested for another 2 weeks
ski holidays
chrisb, apart from today, metcheck gives temperatures of -2 right down to -15 for the next week in Les Gets, not exactly warm unless your an eskimo I guess! Confused
snow conditions
davejsy, I read a different post that said warm again by 3rd Feb so everything will melt, I would like to be wrong for the resort's sake
ski holidays
A short ski on the nursery slopes in Avoriaz today to focus on drills - so not much to report. The centre of Avoriaz has turned to mush and there are holes starting to appear in some of the runs down to Linderats. But there's still a remarkable amount of snow around - which is a testament to their piste bashing skills.

There are snow clouds overhead and it's getting cold - so things are about to improve...

chrisb wrote:
davejsy, I read a different post that said warm again by 3rd Feb so everything will melt, I would like to be wrong for the resort's sake

I'm not sure which forecast you're looking at, but GFS is currently suggesting below seasonal average temperatures until 5th Feb (if I've read the charts correctly).
ski holidays
PhillipStanton, Thanks again Phillip --- If the snow that is forecast for Mon,Tues,Weds happens, combined with the lower temps how good is Avoriaz likely to be? Is it likely that most of the runs would have been opened?
snow conditions
SPhillipStanton, Something about the new moon wasn't it !!!
latest report
snowandtrek, yep always in tune with the moon
snow report
PhillipStanton, Have you noticed that whenever you do part of your BASI course it rains. Please tell me it is finishing soon.

cheers

wink
snow report
Just got back from a week at Avoriaz/Morzine.

Yeah, when we got there it was gut wrenching to see such a lack of snow, but once we got on the Ardent bubble we saw plenty of snow on the pistes

I have to say that Thursday we quit after a half a day as it was awful weather. At the top the winds were blowing icey snow crystals horizontally and literally blowing us along. It was how I imagined hell on earth! Could barely see anyone through such bad visibility. A short bit from the top and it was rain. Got soaked. Horrible.

Friday, we got to Lindaret and only one lift was running out of the bowl, turned straight around and gave up. The bowl was now a map of icey puddles on the snow. For the first time in my last five years of coming to the area I saw the road to the goat village, and the cars parked there. We got back down and walked to Morzine from our Chalet (just above Montriond). It was depressing to see the slope that was normally lit up at night as a wet grassy slope with a patch of slush in the middle.

Despite all this gloom I should point out the first four days were great, we had sunshine and reasonable snow. It was a week jam packed with laughter and beer, so I would still say it was a great holiday. Sure, skiing is great, but what makes your week away is the banter, the food and the drink and that was deep as hell!
snow conditions
zzz wrote:
PhillipStanton, Have you noticed that whenever you do part of your BASI course it rains. Please tell me it is finishing soon.

Laughing

It's on all season sorry - though only Monday, Wednesday, Friday this week - so rain Monday, Wednesday, Friday and snow on Tuesday and Thursday...
snow report
Markos - I'm glad you had a good week - and that you enjoyed Thursday as much as we did!

SP1R1T - if we get what's forecast then I'd imagine that most things will re-open.

Peeing down with rain and 6 degrees in Morzine as I write.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There's been a light dusting above around 1300m - which is progress Very Happy
snow conditions
PhillipStanton, please keep it heading in the right direction! See you next week snowHead
snow report
PhillipStanton, Markos, Thanks for all your reports I'll send one when I'm back on 31 st.
ski holidays
reasonable amount of snow in avoriaz this morning but visibility very poor and very full of people given limited slopes available. I tweaked my groin getting off the interet lift and decided to rest up for the rest of the day so was off the mountain by 12/ Hoping for better tomorrow
snow report
Just had 3 days at Morzine, so skiing up at Avoriaz. Comments much the same as above.
As Phil said, the skiiing was much better than it should have been after 48hrs of pi**ing rain. It's the first time I've created a bow wave while snow skiing !
My best areas were : In the "Fornet valley" Under the Le Fornet chair - the Pschott and Marmotte pistes were officially closed, but the skiing there was OK - in semi shade for some of the day so not too slushy - it was icey, but just a crust that would take an edge rather than sheet ice. Also from the top of the Chavanette chair was OK - great crepes there, but mad busy at lunch time, perfect for an 11:00 bite and pre-diner beer ! The "Wall" closed due to lack of snow.
In the main Avoriaz area, highr the better, so the Stade chair and a draglift or the Lac Intrets chair were the best options.
LONG queues to get down on the Prodains telecabine. Crot blue back to Les Prodains was open, but as Phil said, pretty messy ! and a 200m walk at the bottom where the snow stopped.
2 days in rain, 1 day in the sun, still better than 3 days in work !

Bottom of Crot blue at Les Prodains

Link to Prodains telecabine

Outside Prodains at Avoriaz center

View from Le Fornet chair - great off piste in avalnche zone to the right !

Looking over to Switz from Chavanette, lots of grass !

Not all bad though !
This was taken below either the Stade or Lac Intrets chair

Fingers crossed for you all !
Cheers
Sarge
snow report
Sarge, Thanks for the pictures - quite shocking compared to the last few years I have been there. I'm going back in March this year so not too worried yet.

snowHead
ski holidays
Sarge - thanks for the pictures and great to meet you.

Michelle - looking forward to it.
snow conditions
Sarge, thanks for the info/pics less than 3 weeks till we are there Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Well, sadly, the balmy spring conditions look like they're not set to last.

So, here's a last chance to see the verdant slopes of Morzine before they're once again covered from view in an icy white blanket:

ski holidays
Update on conditions - Avoriaz had some excellent skiing this morning - courdroy slopes on Arare and Chavanette. Snow cannons going in Avoriaz. Now we are just waiting to see what happens in the next 72hrs with the snow coming and how much!! Talk of 10cm to up to 60cm!!!
snow conditions
crosbie, Shame ...
ski holidays
Take a look at this! - http://www.snowpages.com/morzine/MorzineETCam.htm
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy