Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying Ski Boots.

Poster: A snowHead
I have skiied a few times now and have always hired my boots. I always had trouble with them and recently I think i discovered the reason why. I am a size 6 (UK) foot but I have the same around the shin measurement as my partner who is a) male and b) size 11. Maybe it's because i have always done lots of sports. So now i think i know why my boots feel as though they are too tight around my leg. Question: I'm not ready to buy yet because i only go a weekend every year and this year may be the last time i go. If i can find hire boots that are comfortable (or can be recommended boots to buy from others who have this problem) i might allow my partner to persuade me to go again. Has anyone else had this problem? Crying or Very sad
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Earwig wrote:
I am in the middle of buying a pair of ski boots. I have size 4.5-5 feet but they are wide. I have been recommended a pair of boots that are size 7.5. I am worried that they will be too long and I will not have sufficient control. Any thoughts please? Confused

Hi Earwig, I have wide feet, and although I bougt my boots many years ago, I found that I could only get Nordica's to fit. Not sure if its the same now but I just thought i would mention it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I was just checking out your website - your guarantee is accompanied by a picture of George Bush - now what kind of substance were ye guys on when ye thought of old George as a shining example of excellence......................
And making that allowance the question is as follows - I bought a pair of Technica Diablos last Season in Vebier and got the insoles (properly?)done during the week however my right heel still wants to come out of the boot and I get really bad pins and needles/pain in my toes after a long ski. Is it possible to get these issues sorted as the boots are almost new and were supposed to be professionally fitted... I am in the valley in 3 weeks so can call in if you think you can help (and I am willing to pay!). I know I didnt buy my boots from you but then I didnt know you liked George Bush either.....
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Luke, Pop over, the George bush thing was/is a joke, we make many guarentes we have no intention of keeping either. wink Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Well that sounds consistent.......... and I did gather that George was/is a Joke.......... Thanks and I'll see you then
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well my boots were agony when I was in Andorra, two weeks ago. I went into the Hotel ski shop, top, top guys, Nordic Sports, El Tartar. Initially, I cam away with some thin Accapi ski socks as the guy there said my army issue, woollen ones were about the worst thing that I could wear. Anyway, I thought I'd try different boots as skiing in them was an ideal opportunity to get the matter sorted for once and for all and the thinner socks did help but weren't perfect. I changed my boots twice a day trying all combinations with buckles, footbeds, heel lifts etc before buying a pair of Head Edge 9's. The guy in the shop explained about the shells of boots, the lower, softer end of the range requiring 45 kg of pressure to flex, the top end, 110 kg of pressure. Bizzarely, the boots I had were a whole size smaller than the ones fitted in Snow and Rock so I'm well peed off with that Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad but relieved to have got a pair of boots that are just uncomfortable as opposed to excrutiatingly painful. In light of my own bitter experience I would advise anyone, very strongly to try boots in resort and only buy when you are happy with them and have skied in them first. IMHO, you can only truly replicate the unique forces of skiing by actually skiing. Don't get burnt like I did. I have sold my Salomon X-Wave 8's for less than a quarter of the £260 that I paid for them Sad and don't underestimate the value of footbeds, Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My girlfriend and myself are looking to buy some boots in May or June when they are abit cheaper. Were live in the North West so are near Kendal,Manchester and Bolton. Dont think we have the time to visit all the places but is there anyone with reccomendations?

Cheers
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
i find that when i buy boots the best way to do it is to put the boot on and tighten them up rly tight. if the boot hurts more in any one spot significantly more than the rest of the boot then it will be amplified when your skiing. also make sure the flex rating is suitable for your ability and weight but comfort is the most important thing. just because a boot is more expensive and claims to have better technology than the rest doesn't mean that it will suit you better. if you have a flat/wide foot then salomon boots are a good place to start. if your foot is narrow/arched then Lange is a good place to start. if the guy in the store keeps saying that a certain boot will suit you better because it has some new special technology and rambles on about one boot then try and steer him/her away because theyve been trained to say it and probably dont have a great idea about your specific foot. try everything that takes your eye. then some more. good luck
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
v12stuart, Total Rubbish rolling eyes
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
v12stuart, Total Rubbish rolling eyes

Were you 'Trained' to say that? wink Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
v12stuart, me thinks either you have no clue about the subject or you are a troll

welcome to snowHead's BTW

you should note that was probably a very brave first post, normally one enters a forum and asks a question rather than making sweeping and blatently un true statements Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
v12stuart, Fantastic first post - just a shame it is such complete garbage.....I am sure you'll fit in nicely, just not in the threads where some people do actually know what they are on about....like this one. Try posting in BZK instead wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Handbags down ladies. Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
v12stuart, yes that's total rubbish... everyone knows you should start by matching with your ski wardrobe or by fantasising about yourself winning downhills in a pair that you've seen on the telly. Then, four pairs of norwegian hiking socks (cos it can be bloody cold) and the insoles out of your squash shoes. If you really really want something badly enough, your brain is programmed to ignore the pain anyway and concentrate on the joy of ownership.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bode Swiller, ROFLMAO
ski holidays
Out of interest, will the Lockwoods thingy happen again this year?
ski holidays
DaveC, Don't think so, we're looking at something else at the moment.
ski holidays
In the UK? Leeds is a lovely place, just for the record...
ski holidays
DaveC, Personally it do it in Leeds anytime, but we need a fully equiped workshop.
snow conditions
I guess you can't do it somewhere like Ellis Brigham either... I'd love to come see you guys and CEM, had a nightmare this year with boots. Let me know if anything happens...
snow report
if as Madders was told and
Quote:

softer end of the range requiring 45 kg of pressure to flex, the top end, 110 kg of pressure
, then what does that mean for someone that weigh only 54kgs? Presumably i cany create much for presssure than my weight, and even then it would just be for a moment when i bounced rather than smooth pressure round a turn. So does that mena even a midrange (?) flex will be damn stiff for me however expert i am (oh and im not - im good old bogstandard intermedaiet). any thoughts? Puzzled
snow report
oh and any thoughts - will the length of foot matter - i have vague memories of physics at school and the greater pressure you can create with leverage - does that translate to higher relative pressure for a given weight with longer feet? Im only a wee 23.5 so not much leverage there on top of my sveltelyness Little Angel
snow conditions
bitoffluff

while foot lengh, body weight, lenght of tib/fib all have an effect on the ski boots ability to transmit forces the key determinators are your ski ability and agressiveness. I would estimate that the majoritory of skiers own boots that are too stiff.
snow conditions
back bottom
latest report
I'm looking to buy a pair of new ski boots. The ones I have at the moment (4 yr old Salomon's) are too stiff for me to flex my ankles properly. I have tried on a few a few weeks ago and the best for flex were the Technica Diablo's but they were slightly too tight across my forefoot.

Could anyone recommend boots of a similar stiffness but with a wider forefoot, and a good boot fitter? I was going to go with Profeet but read a dodgy earlier comment about them. I'm a size 24.5, 8 and half stone and a strong intermediate. I'm about to spend a season in Verbier so am going to be living in them and am prepared to spend a bit more than normal and travel (I'm in the NW but work in London regularly) to get the right fitting boots. Thanks.
snow report
Alicia01, Have you been talking to Warren Smilth?
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Alicia01, Have you been talking to Warren Smilth?
Um yeah. That obvious huh? Any tips on who to go to or where to go for new boots?
snow conditions
Alicia01,

Do you have insoles/footbeds?
When you say 'tight across the forefoot', do you mean width or height?

The reason I ask is that sometimes (with the certain foot types) the foot can drop/collapse inwards, this motion causes the foot to elongate and twist outward (towards your wee toe) so it feels that the forefoot is tight.

As for a boot, get to a ski shop and try a few on, build up a 'fit picture' of what fits and what doesn't, make notes. This information will help a good boot fitter to decide which boot is best for you and which ones he can work on - Tecnicas aren't the best for stretching - pretty though.

The season doesn't start for a while so you have plenty of time to get it right.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tailskidder wrote:

The reason I ask is that sometimes (with the certain foot types) the foot can drop/collapse inwards, this motion causes the foot to elongate and twist outward (towards your wee toe) so it feels that the forefoot is tight.

Err, threadjack, but this sounds a lot like a problem I've got, that Amfit footbeds didn't fix? Do certain footbed types help more than others?
ski holidays
tailskidder to the courtesy phone, to the courtesy phone.
ski holidays
Alicia01, nothing wrong with profeet if they are convenient to get to for you! They sorted out my OH's very problematic feet and others here have also had very good experiences. I think Hamish is the main man to see if you can. A good boot-fitters will suggest a boot that is suitable for you.
ski holidays
there seems lots of recommendation of getting boot fitted in resorts eg nevada in Tignes. Conveniently Im there soon and after soem boots. Apols for bringing down to lowest common denominator - how do prices compare over ther and over here?
snow report
RRP is the same. You might not get bargain prices, but if price is more important than fir you needn't buy in resort, you can buy on Ebay and hope for the best
latest report
I'm off to a company called Surefoot to get my boots. They do their own boots as well as inners and orthotics but also customise a variety of different mainstream brands as well. If anyone's looking just now, I'll post my verdict once I've been, they have places all over the world so may be handy for some. Worth checking out the website as well, fairly informative. www.surefoot.com
latest report
rossco2501, Perhaps start with the best bootfitter you can find rather than a particular chain of store.
ski holidays
rossco2501 wrote:
I'm off to a company called Surefoot to get my boots. They do their own boots as well as inners and orthotics but also customise a variety of different mainstream brands as well. If anyone's looking just now, I'll post my verdict once I've been, they have places all over the world so may be handy for some. Worth checking out the website as well, fairly informative. www.surefoot.com

there own boots are a series of lange boots with their name sublimated into the shell, there own liners are a conformable PU foam liner with their name stamped on them
amazing what you can do when you order several 1000 of something

as SMALLZOOKEEPER has said it is about the fitter not chain or the marketing

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 30-10-08 14:58; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Embarassed double posting

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 30-10-08 14:58; edited 1 time in total
latest report
CEM, You are starting to become repetitiive now mate. Toofy Grin
snow report
Hi,

I'm new to the forum so please feel free to criticise any unwittingly made breach of ettiquette.

I went skiing for a couple of days last February in Norway as a break from ice climbing. I ended up enjoying the skiing more than the ice climbing. The only problem was that the hire boots that I wore irritated my left inner ankle bone. At the time it was bearable but as a result my ankle bone seems to have become distinctly larger than the other one. It's definitely bony and not just inflamed. It remained really tender for several months afterwards. I suppose it's possible that the bone was already protruding (I've had lots of rugby related ankle injuries) and I hadn't noticed it until I wore ski boots but in either case my question is am I likely to be able to get boots fitted to cope with an ankle bone that sticks out more than the other one?

My osteopath suggested having the bone shaved off. I'd like to avoid this if possible although it might be an interesting weightloss technique for future consideration.
latest report
john g welcome to snowheads.
Quote:

My osteopath suggested having the bone shaved off

It did say 'osteo' on the door, didn't it? The normal approach is to first try to make the boots fit the foot!

On topic; my ankles are bony and do protrude more than somewhat. I put my feet in the care of a bootfitter, and he chose a boot to fit the rest of my foot, then stretched it to make a nice cavity for my ankle to sit in. This is not rocket science, in fact I bet they do that often. It's the first time I didn't feel like there was a vice across my ankles. Get yourself to someone you can trust (by recommendation is my choice - I went to Leamington Spa when Canterbury is 15 minutes down the road), be honest about what you do, and be patient! It doesn't usually cost more than the normal boot price.

David
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy