Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Courchevel/Meribel accommodation

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads,

Myself and some friends are headed to the three valleys, probably in January.

I’ve had a look on booking.com, where I’ve previously found good deals in other resorts. There seems to be very little of good value on offer. We’re looking for twin bed hotel rooms, in either Courchevel or Meribel, within 5 mins walk of a well connected lift. Our budget is up to €1500 per room for the week.

I’d love to hear about any stays you’ve had that fit our criter. In return, I highly recommend Haus Sattelblick for any snowheads planning a trip to St Anton on a similar budget to us.

Thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The 3Vs is primarily apartment-based accommodation or high end hotels. You'll easily get a nice apartment in your price range in January but budget hotels are extremely rare. There are three only AFAIK and they book up very quickly: The Doron and Le Taverne in Meribel and the Olympic in C1850.

All three are in good central locations but the two Meribel ones are both above very noisy pubs. The Olympic in C1850 is pretty much also the only reasonably priced bar in 1850. The Doron doesn't seem to be open for booking for next season yet but the Taverne and Olympic are both on booking.com. Limited availability already!

The budget hotels are usually only B&B anyway so you're probably better off just renting an apartment.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Might be over Budget but try the Montana in La tania.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Montana is £2.5k/week even in low season, albeit half board. The only other hotel that is close in price range is the Mottaret in Meribel-Mottaret but that's £1.7k/week B&B mid-January.

If the OP's looking for an Austrian-type half board stay, then the only option in that price bracket is going to be in Brides-les-Bains, I reckon, but it'll probably be a shuttle to the lift rather than a 5 minute walk.

Les Arolles in VT could be an option - that's available half board for £1.7k/week in mid-Jan.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@fox15,
Have you considered UK tour operator run chalets or chalet-hotels?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@fox15, 3V in January is ripe for last minute chalet deals if you are looking for value and are reasonably flexible about which part of 3V you end up staying in.

For me the best trip I have had to 3V was to UCPA Val Thorens:
https://www.ucpa.co.uk/resorts-in-france/snow/val-thorens/

This is better suited to under 40s that are not too worried about luxury so it may not fit. Although it does have twin rooms and is excellent value.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you for your feedback, I’m not up for staying in a chalet, so it looks like a small apartment is my best option.

For those that have stayed in La Tania- is there enough good restaurants/bars in town to keep us busy for the week? And how quick/expensive is it to get over to Meribel or other Courchevel villages in the evenings?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@fox15, in answer to your first question this is a good guide:

https://www.latania.co.uk/resort/bars.htm

Note: I believe the site is run primarily by Tim Wall who runs the Ski Lodge (also has a youtube channel - same name as the website).

On your second question I believe it's a taxi ride to Meribel but there are buses to other Courchevel villages:

https://www.latania.co.uk/resort/BusPDFs/2024/2024skibus-main.pdf
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Layne wrote:

Note: I believe the site is run primarily by Tim Wall who runs the Ski Lodge (also has a youtube channel - same name as the website).

No it isn't, it's run by Toffa whose real name is (redacted) but it's not Tim Wall. They do, of course, produce the weekly snow updates together because Toffa is usually the one holding the camera.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
fox15 wrote:
For those that have stayed in La Tania- is there enough good restaurants/bars in town to keep us busy for the week?

If you want a sensible answer to this you should be more specific as to what your definition of being kept busy is.

If it includes clubbing till 5am then you need to be an oligarch to get into the ones in Courchevel or else take a taxi to Meribel where you can scumbag with the seasonaires (free entry before 1am...). Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
And how many Michelin stars do you require in your restaurants?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Only one star available in La Tania, gotta get on the bus if you want two or three. Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Je suis un Skieur wrote:
Layne wrote:

No it isn't, it's run by Toffa whose real name is (redacted) but it's not Tim Wall. They do, of course, produce the weekly snow updates together because Toffa is usually the one holding the camera.

Tim Wall's Facebook profile says "Proprietor at Pub Le Ski Lodge - La Tania" and "Proprietor at Pub La Taiga Bar/Restaurant - La Tania"
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Layne wrote:
Tim Wall's Facebook profile says "Proprietor at Pub Le Ski Lodge - La Tania" and "Proprietor at Pub La Taiga Bar/Restaurant - La Tania"

Well it would because those two things are correct.

But this that you wrote is not correct:

Layne wrote:

Note: I believe the site is run primarily by Tim Wall
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Je suis un Skieur, we definitely won’t be clubbing, but we do want a few good bars with some atmosphere and a variety of restaurants.

We can always head over to some of the other villages if we want to eat somewhere fancy one night
ski holidays
@fox15, it's still a difficult answer because I don't know what you're used to and/or expecting. The long and short of it is that LT is referred to as "the village" by the locals because it has that village feel. The majority of what goes on (for a Brit) revolves around the Ski Lodge because that's the village pub. By French standards it's pretty lively but it's not St Anton. Alternative (more civilised) bars are in the Montana hotel and the Taiga.

There's apres and/or evening live music in either the Lodge or the Taiga most nights and there's no shortage of "atmosphere" when the band's playing. If you want to go on a full on bar crawl you should get on the bus to C1650 but it's not massively different to what's on your doorstep in LT, just a few more beer stops. There's nothing of note in C1550 or C1850; Le Praz has got a couple of bars but they're very similar to the Lodge and Taiga. A bar crawl in Meribel wouldn't have any more stops than C1650, the only difference is the nightclub option at the end.

Plenty of food options in LT - pub grub in the Lodge, Michelin starred French in Le Farcon, bistro French in the Bistro Machet (same family as the Farcon) and something in-between in the Taiga, Ferme, Marmottons and Montana. Decent quality deli if you want to eat in your apartment without cooking and a 24hr pizza machine for midnight munchies. You don't need to travel for something fancy because Le Farcon must be one of the best value Michelin starred restaurants anywhere. Depending on your wine and menu choices, you can still get out of there at around £100/head, you won't be doing that at any of the other Michelin starred restaurants in Courchevel.
snow conditions
That’s all the info I needed!

Sounds ideal, thanks again for your advice
snow conditions
Hotel le grangettes in Meribel.
Good room. Great good with wine included.
Right next door to Jacks bar for great apres and opposite the main lifts.

Stayed last year and some have rebooked for this year.
It can be booked as a package with iglu ski for around £1500 including flights and transfers.

https://www.igluski.com/ski-resorts/france/meribel/chalet-hotel-les-grangettes_2419
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy