Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 1600 - advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All, I have booked accommodation in Arc 1600 the first week in February next year. Never been before so looking for adcvice!
Firstly I intend on getting the train there, to Bourg. The main reason for choosing Arc 1600! Any advice on train travel there would be welcome, from the research I have done it seems Eurostar do not release tickets or info about the Snow train until late summer, and based on last year it may not even be running in February. So considering Eurostar to Lille or Paris and then SNCF, any advice on the route would be welcome.
Secondly, just wondered how easy it is to get from Arc 1600 to La Plagne? Looks like its a bit of a pain on ski, I assume there would be some kind of bus that would go from 1600 to the Vallandry area so you could get the Vanoise Express across to La Plagne? I can't find any info on buses that do this though? Again any advice welcome, I would prefer 20 to 30 minutes on a bus to get to the Vanoise express than 2 hours of lifts and a circuitous ski.
Thirdly, just general advice on the ski area, I am an intermediate but prefer the less steep red runs, which runs or area would be best for me?
Thank you in advance
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lots of train info here: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=166241 - and https://www.seat61.com/index.html is good for booking horizons etc.

I've done a few trips by train - I tend to get a late EuroStar on the Friday night and stay in Paris, then get the first train down on the Saturday. It is doable in a day though (especially on the way back, as the time difference helps).

I recall that there is a bus from 1800 to Vallandry (and there are buses from 1600 to 1800) - we always stay at the Vallandry end though, so I'm sure others will have more of an idea. I think it's only 2 lifts to get across though; from the top of Arpette you can take a long blue all the way.

I think all the red runs above Vallandry were pretty nice last time we were there, quite wide and well groomed, and not steep. The Clair Blanc red from Arpette was absolutely horrible though.

(Coincidentally we will be in les Arcs the same week as you; I'm heading out for a few days elsewhere first, but will be heading back by train on the 8th.)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@DHosking, I cannot answer your questions about the train. There are many more experienced train users here to answer that question.

Yes it is a bit of a pain to get to La Plagne. You have to get 2 lifts and a bit of skiing to the Vanoise express. The route are: cachette to arpette and cruise down to Vallandry or Cachette then all the way down Belvedere to the Vallandry lift, take that up and ski down to Peisey. This route can be a little trickeir to find. Both routes take about 45 minutes to an hour.

You can get a bus from 1600 to 1800 which takes about 20 mnutes. Another bus will take you to Peisey. These busses are not very frequent. If the schedules line up for you then it may be possible to do it in an hour, but I've never done it or contemplated it. It will be a lot more hassle than just skiing across.

There are a number of gentle reds in the Vallandry sector and by the time you get there you may just give up on the idea of going to La Plagne. In the last couple years I've skied about 20 days a season in Les Arcs and haven't botherd going over to La Plagne at all even though I've had a lift pass that would allow me to do so. There is just so much good skiing in Les Arcs. Are you going to meet someone? If so where in La Plagne are you planning to go?

Where are you planning to stay in Les Arcs? If you are planning to stay in Plan Devin it may be easier to get the buss to 1800 anyway rather than walking up all the stairs to the lifts, many people do and get off at the Alpin Jardin lift.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bus time tables are on the paradiski app. We used them abit thus year and they seemed okay. Basically 20 mins between sectors an then a change so if going a way depends on timings.
We never went over to la plange as more than enough in les arcs.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy