Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Boots Time!!!

Poster: A snowHead
Im an experienced skier with 30 plus years can ski most of the mountain with a degree of control and a modicum of style.

Current boot Head Raptor

They are a VERY stiff boot, they are after all a race boot and im sure even downhill racers want to take them off at the first opportunity!

My problem is always calf related. If I ski off piste for a couple of hours, especially if it involves hiking or bootpacking my calves seize up (I do stretch lots) but its always been an issue as ive got great big ham hocks for calves Evil or Very Mad

I have very slim feet and trying to find a boot that is a snug but comfy fit with no heel lift has always been a problem.

Im going to keep these for piste only days but need to find a better all mountain boot with the empahisis on all day comfort even if it means a loss in performance. Top and bottom of it I want to be COMFY and WARM, and be able to walk easily in them as a priority .Im quite happy to have a punter boot if it fits these criteria.

NW based and usually use Rivington alpine.

As an alternative I was thinking maybe a touring type boot ? or maybe there have been some new innovations in boot design in the last few years that may help me find the right balance between comfort and performance?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@hedley, Could be a technique issue with your calves. Have an instructor take a look.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@hedley, Have you taken out the spoilers at the back of the liners ?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
AL9000 wrote:
@hedley, Could be a technique issue with your calves. Have an instructor take a look.

It ain't a technique issue.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@hedley, do you do much walking or running away from the slopes?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@hedley, most of the makers offer piste/touring cross-over boots without having to go to a full touring boot. Benefit of these is light weight (halfway between a piste boot and an out'n'out tourer) but they're still great on the down. Knobbly soles and walk modes also good for boot packing or dancin' on tables. They do however tend to be a bit softer than they're stated flex versus a piste boot.

There are a number of boot sole types around now (ie alpine, GripWalk, full AT/touring and WTR which is now being killer off after only a couple of seasons) of which many can be had fitted with tech inserts for easy uphill skinning, so you need to watch the compatibility with your bindings as it'd be easy to get some swanky new booties that then don't fit in your bindings.

Colin at S4F has a boot cuff stretcher gizmo that'll expand cuffs as needed but caution would be needed if you have a boot with a walk mode as the mechanisms are mounted on the rear of the cuff.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thought about looking at womens boots?
Not sure about ski, but snowboard boots are wider at the top cuff as women usually have bigger calves.
Im guessing when your calves tense up there isnt enough room for the muscle to move & relax fully again, so you end up cramping.

For your heellift, do you have high arches/cavus feet?
An easy test is from standing straight, bend your knees & see at what point your heel lifts. You will know if this lifting is before what you consider normal useage or comes after the movement range of normal useage. You can try achillies heel stretches to see if that helps
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mr.Egg wrote:
Thought about looking at womens boots?
Not sure about ski, but snowboard boots are wider at the top cuff as women usually have bigger calves......

Women have lower calves not necessarily bigger calves, which is why womens ski boots have a lower cuff than mens. A womens boot wouldn't be stiff enough for the OP (whom I've met and skied with).

Large calves are not a problem for a good bootfitter with the right workshop kit.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You have got a locked-off sub-racer there, no wonder it hurts when you try anything other than chasing gravity.
If you like that Chinese shrunken foot stuff then take the pain if not you could try the lange LV XT FREE130 which should still get in an alpine binding or try any Dynafit boot which fit along the lines that you describe.
Although the boot may be a contributing factor I don't think the calf issue can be entirely blamed on the boot. I have seen plenty of Popeye type of calf muscles sitting way higher than is normal with no user complaint.
I disagree with SpyderJon and know from experience defensive skiing (holding on for dear life) can cause all sorts of bad post skiing calf cramp.
The last factor might be to do with the being old enough to have had 30+ year of skiing.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mosha Marc wrote:
@hedley, do you do much walking or running away from the slopes?

I do run regularly and still manage a once a week session of 7 a side. I'm a fittish 52 so the beng old enough to have 30 plus years of skiing behind me is fair comment too Laughing in fact thinking about it it's 40 plus Shocked
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Super Steezy wrote:
You have got a locked-off sub-racer there, no wonder it hurts when you try anything other than chasing gravity.

"If you like that Chinese shrunken foot stuff then take the pain" Now that made me Laughing Laughing

"Although the boot may be a contributing factor I don't think the calf issue can be entirely blamed on the boot."

Fair comment but it's always been a weakness.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
spyderjon wrote:
@hedley, most of the makers offer piste/touring cross-over boots without having to go to a full touring boot. Benefit of these is light weight (halfway between a piste boot and an out'n'out tourer) but they're still great on the down. Knobbly soles and walk modes also good for boot packing or dancin' on tables. They do however tend to be a bit softer than they're stated flex versus a piste boot.

This is the way to go I feel Jon.

I actually like having that feeling of heel locked in but almost being able to overpower the front of boot and REALLY get forward. Not impossible but you have to be giving it some beans in a Raptor.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Super Steezy wrote:
.....I disagree with SpyderJon and know from experience defensive skiing (holding on for dear life) can cause all sorts of bad post skiing calf cramp.......

What have I said that you disagree with or is incorrect? Were did the OP say he was skiing defensively? I've seen the OP ski and "defensively" is not the word I'd use describe it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon wrote:

What have I said that you disagree with or is incorrect? Were did the OP say he was skiing defensively? I've seen the OP ski and "defensively" is not the word I'd use describe it.

....just referring to one example of 'technique' that might contribute to calf pain
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
just to update.....

I went for a pair of crossover boots Tecnica Cochise 130 and I can honestly say they are a revelation.

No calf pain after a weeks skiing,... Toofy Grin i love the fact that I can get right forward and power through the boot without it feeling sloppy,yet they are forgiving enough for all mountain skiing and almost slipper like for slepping around town in too...

Thumbs up from me.

The Old Raptors were just too stiff for me and although im a pretty decent skier I just couldn't get that sweet spot with them.

They were hard work in the morning first thing when cold, good for a couple of hours in the middle of the day, then tiring at the end of the day resulting in lazy technique to compensate for muscle fatigue.
ski holidays
Cool

And don't forget that you can put them in walk mode for dancin' on tables.
latest report
spyderjon wrote:
Cool

And don't forget that you can put them in walk mode for dancin' on tables.
looks to be an increasing amount of boots with walk mode, could you list a few of the best for us folk also considering new boots for dancin' on tables?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy