Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Backpack recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Any recommendations for a decent back pack for skiing.

Big enough to potentially take two pairs of kids shoes and a spare few other bits.

Cost isn’t an issue if it’s good enough.

Been surviving on the Decathlon one for a while but just checked it over and a couple of zips are gone.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For resort skiing I like my Evoc slope pack. Designed for skiing and low profile, so comfortable to keep it on when on chairlifts.

Can carry skis on the sides and diagonally also (could be useful if you are lugging child’s skis too)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Go back to Decathlon. Do some good mid price ski/board specific ones.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dakine Heli Pro. As with the suggestion from @Themasterpiece, you can get 3 pairs of skis onto it which can help with the ski school run. It’s also low profile, and has a good avi gear pouch (which would hold 2 pairs of kids shoes).

I got one, which my wife liked lots, so I had to buy another!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've had a Berghaus Remote25 for a few years: fits well and plenty of room (Mrs EWW is famous for not carrying anything!) As well as good padding and ventilation on the back, hydration bladder compatible and lots of pockets.

Been looking for a replacement and came across the Dare2Be Krosfire 24. Seems a bit more "technical" than the Berghaus... goggle pocket, helmet carry, ski / board carry and a pocket on the waist strap. Currently can be had at a fair discount on the interweb.

Whatever you go for it may help to try one on before you buy... daysacks tend to have less adjustable strap systems than bigger rucksacks, and you don't want one that pinches the nerves / blood vessels around your neck / shoulders.

Post what you end up with: I'm still looking for ideas!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
https://online-military.com/products/kombat-uk-military-hex-stop-small-assault-pack-28-litre-rucksack-coyote

We are using rucksacks like this above, don't suit everyone but art available in red, black, grey etc. They are tough and pack down much flatter with the compression straps if smallest volume needed.

We've tested them on our schoolboy and so far nothing is as tough and versatile. Zips are tough and really easy with any gloves worn, compartments useful size for varying items with good separate access.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would say don't wear a ruck sack whilst skiing as it can effect balance, if it's for a child then certainly a no no
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
1969jma wrote:
I would say don't wear a ruck sack whilst skiing as it can effect balance, if it's for a child then certainly a no no

Lots of things can affect balance but a light backpack makes little difference, handy for bits and pieces if skiing with a family on piste and pretty much essential off piste for clobber.
The only qualm I would have with a child wearing one is if could be caught in a lift, they need to have no straps to get caught.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
No pack at all is best, but anyone off-piste will carry a "shovel pack" which is designed for skiing. Some of them even with air-bags. None of these are great for other sports, but for skiing you will forget you're wearing them. If a pack's affecting how you ski then you're probably not standing correctly. The DaKine heli packs are industry standard, although others with similar designs exist. Smaller is better. Be aware that you'll probably be forced to take the pack off on chair lifts at most places even if it's thin (which it should be).
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
philwig wrote:
No pack at all is best, but anyone off-piste will carry a "shovel pack" which is designed for skiing. Some of them even with air-bags. None of these are great for other sports, but for skiing you will forget you're wearing them. If a pack's affecting how you ski then you're probably not standing correctly. The DaKine heli packs are industry standard, although others with similar designs exist. Smaller is better. Be aware that you'll probably be forced to take the pack off on chair lifts at most places even if it's thin (which it should be).

I always ski with a small backpack. I don't recall ever being asked to take it off my back on a lift. Is it an American thing to be asked to remove it? I do always make sure there are no dangling bits to get caught.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DanFuller wrote:
Any recommendations for a decent back pack for skiing.

Big enough to potentially take two pairs of kids shoes and a spare few other bits.

Cost isn’t an issue if it’s good enough.

Been surviving on the Decathlon one for a while but just checked it over and a couple of zips are gone.

Now this is like religion - either you have it or not - even brands is religion.

I have used Deuter (Freerider) in different models over the years - and have been happy - others might be just as good.

https://www.deuter.com/DE/en/skibackpacks.html

And have used it for overnight trips on piste.

Deuter carrying system in the middel: Daughter has stolen the newest one! Mad

snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My Dakine Heli Pro is on its 13th season... probs 40-50 days a winter
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sugarmoma666 wrote:

I always ski with a small backpack. I don't recall ever being asked to take it off my back on a lift. Is it an American thing to be asked to remove it? I do always make sure there are no dangling bits to get caught.

There are loads of signs asking you to take off back packs in Europe though very little enforcement in my experience. I always do though.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
1969jma wrote:

No it’s for me, a giant strapping gentleman. The walk to the ski school with two kids and skis before their lessons with two pairs of skis, my skis, their ski boots require many hands. If I can get their ski boots/shoes for storage after in my backpack it will save a lot of extra exertion.

Skiing with two pairs of size 2 shoes in after they depart shouldn’t effect my balance too much should it?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I’m currently using an Osprey Mutant 28 when we’re out skiing with the kids. It’s a climbing/mountaineering pack that can hold skis a-frame (I’ve got
2 pairs of skis on). There’s 2 ice axe holders which I can strap my ski poles into and gear loops on the hip belt where I clip the kids helmets to. There’s enough space (most of the time) for drinks, snacks, sit pads, first aid kit, extra layers etc... It’s not perfect but a good versatile pack that I use all year round.

I have no problems skiing with it (alpine or XC). Just pack it well with the heavy items low and close to your back.

I always take it off on a chair lift for safety reason. I’ll rather not be attached if it ever gets caught in the chair lift.
ski holidays
I dont have one but I thought this always looked nifty but not cheap

https://www.wolffepack.com/products/summit
snow report
I've got a spare Dakine Heli if you want one. Almost new but doesn't get used as I got an avi' bag soon after. Think it's 18 or 20lt but I'd have to check. £30+pp? Pm me if your interested.
ski holidays
I'm an advocate of backpacks after having a fall and being badly bruised by all the paraphernalia I was carrying in various pockets: mobile 'phone, wallet (cue various jokes), hard case for spectacles; goggles and even coins. Now I don't carry anything in my salopette and jacket pockets - it all goes in the rucksack. One with a front-strap is useful to stop it bobbing around, but avoid any loose straps that will get caught in chairs.
latest report
I’ve just ordered an Osprey Kamber 32, had my eye on one for a while and found a good deal today (40% off rrp) so pulled the trigger.

I’ll compare it with my Mutant 28 to see if it’s an upgrade or if I’ll return it.
ski holidays
@ster, I’ve got one (wolffepack) and wouldn’t recommend it. I found that the mechanism was brilliant for convenience and when stopped it was really easy to pull the lever and release the bag and to put it back on. For a faffer like me it looked great.

But and this for me was a big BUT I found the hooks would not hold it in place on the chair lift. There wasn’t enough tension or my body wasn’t long enough (I’m 5’9 with a cake belly Smile ) so the bag would detach and be hanging loose. On one occasion the bag nearly dropped to the floor as I exited the lift. I actually think it’s really dangerous to use it because if that bag falls and hooks on the lift you’re screwed.

I spoke to the manufacturer and they suggested connecting the straps on the opposite shoulder which I thought was a pretty poor response.

So maybe it’s a great bag for other sports, should be ok on the bike, maybe my body shape but for skiing I can’t see me using mine again. Ymmv
snow conditions
djf wrote:
@ster, I’ve got one (wolffepack) and wouldn’t recommend it.

Looked very slick in the vidoes but too good to be true then. I probably would have been too tight to pay what they were wanting anyway.
snow report
I've an osprey kamber and love it. Nice size. Light on the back and lifetime warranty.
ski holidays
+ for the Kamber, but I would say that its safety equipment orientated rather than picnic and boot carrying. Tough and well made with excellent zips, best yet over30 yrs of skiing
snow report
Spoon wrote:
I’ve just ordered an Osprey Kamber 32, had my eye on one for a while and found a good deal today (40% off rrp) so pulled the trigger.

I’ll compare it with my Mutant 28 to see if it’s an upgrade or if I’ll return it.

Do you mind sharing where you got the Kamber? I've had my eye on one for a while, 40% would definitely force my hand.

For the OP, I've been using an Ortovox Freerider 18 for a while, it's been great, lots of options for ski carry, helmet carry and a back protector. Downsides it's a bit heavy and I now need a bigger bag as I carry far too much camera kit with me Smile Bad habit, but the mountains are too pretty!
Kamber appeals for a bit of a change and its size.
latest report
@cinglis,

I got it from the Norwegian site of www.Outnorth.com (based in Sweden) who had a “single day” offer yesterday. Unfortunately it’s gone back up to full RRP price now.
snow report
@Spoon, thanks, missed it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy