Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sallapettes with side zips?

Poster: A snowHead
Morning folks!
My previous sallapettes have finally died and I am looking for a replacement, however I've got a special requirement!
I'm looking for goretex hard shell sallapettes, either with braces/bibs or good/easy attachment points to add some. Now for the special bit: I wear knee braces so need side zips that will give me access to the braces and a relaxed fit so they actually fit underneath. After all, pulling your trousers down mid run is not cool!

I don't ski much off piste (although I do want to learn!), so massive chest high big mountain bibs are a bit overkill.

I've seen a few sallapettes with side venting strips, such as the Arc'teryx Sabre or Stinger (ok, no braces either), but I don't believe the vents go down far enough so I won't be able to adjust the lower leg section of the brace. I've looked at Rab (current sallapettes are Rab), Mountain Equipment, North Face, Montane and Schoffel but none are suitable.

The closest I've seen so far is the Norrona Lofoten which would be perfect except for the price - £550 is an awful lot of money! I paid significantly less for the Lofoten jacket!

Any other suggestions I should consider before I sell my left kidney?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you don't mind the Jester Red colour, the outlet store has them for £330.

https://www.norrona.com/en-GB/products/lofoten/lofoten-gore-tex-pro-ski-pants-men/?color=1125&outlet=true
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@sinttesi, Marmot Spire?

Mammut?

https://www.decathlon.fr/pa-sfr-900-h-gris-id_8494361.html

Not hard to find
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Outdoor research furio pants

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/en/mens-furio-pants/p/2429670001008

I've been using them for a few years, have held up very well. Not too expensive either. They have attachment points for suspenders, which outdoor research also sell.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Any reason they have to be goretex? Do you ski in rain a lot?

If not there are plenty of other options starting at this sort of level

https://en.dare2b.com/product/mens-pace-setter-pro-ii-ski-pants-black/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIq9XtrPKU3gIVj1mGCh3ewQBmEAQYASABEgI9KPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I do love my Noronna Lofoten trousers, but I got them half price so it wasn’t such a painful purchase. They are the best ski trousers I’ve had.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@sinttesi, Peak Performance do exactly what you want:
https://www.peakperformance.com/gb/ski/men-goretex-mondo-shell-outdoor-pants-G60149024.html?cgid=f20ea54dfd6f56b93b7a3c1a1b9da13c85105ada&dwvar_G60149024_color=2AC#!start=4
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sinttesi wrote:
Morning folks!

Spoon
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 18 11:59 Post subject:
If you don't mind the Jester Red colour, the outlet store has them for £330.

keep your left kidney ...... left plum should do it !
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sinttesi wrote:

Velcro sides for those "magic mike" apres ski moments?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Black Crow Ventus Light
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Planks yeti is a bib with side zips. They are rated as 20k (& keep me dry)
I sometimes wear a restriction brace (don joy) to stop my knee bending to much & need easy access to the strips.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sat 20-10-18 16:16; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Norrona Lofoten. What size are you and are you M or F EG Male XL for sale in Blues Ski shop for £280.

Female XS, S, L for £258 (£232 with a Tiso Card which you get free for purchases over £200)
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I really rate Norrona clothing, however the sizing is very 'Scandinavian', usually slim and long in the arms and legs. Well worth trying (on) before buying.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Something from the mountaineering lines might suit at a lower price range ? More likely to have side zips.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Roguevfr wrote:
Something from the mountaineering lines might suit at a lower price range ? More likely to have side zips.

Mountain equipment karakorum or similar ?
latest report
Have a look at Keela salopettes
snow conditions
@Maireadoconnor, +1 the best
snow report
@sinttesi, look at race pants https://www.skibartlett.com/ski-clothing-accessories-c2/ski-clothing-c16/ski-trousers-c58/campagnolo-full-zip-ski-race-pants-black-p1899
snow report
Sweet Protection Supernaut pants would fit your criteria and can often be had for a reasonable price, certainly cheaper than the Norrona stuff, especially getting some in previous seasons colours.
snow conditions
The Arcteryx Alpha AR pant is one to look at with full zips its a touring pant but is fine in resort.
Full zip pants are designed for touring or mountaineering not generally recreational skiing

I took a chance buying mine online with this pair normally I only buy instore so I can squat stretch out in them, messing about to check the fit is right .

Very light touring pair with excellent thin removable braces .
The "inner" lower leg can be drawn tight if needed so as not to flap against the other leg and they have full zips

I have a new pair of never worn tagged Arcteryx Stinger size xl for sale also new tagged Arcteryx Alpha SV size xl jacket if anyone is interested send a massage .
snow conditions
I've a pair of Peak Performance Guide pants knocking around. Full leg zips, Gore-Tex, come with braces (shoulder, not knee) and size L.

I've even a Mueller Hg80 brace (knee, not shoulder) if you need a spare.

Cool
latest report
I'll have to get some of my old pants out ...
They are not these high end stuff like Artex, Nora, Astronaut, Loftlinen.
Yes I'm going to get them out .. I hope the mice or moths haven't got in there.
Whats more likely is I wont be able to get into them ... I'm slightly chubbier now.

The ones I'm thinking about are bib & brace style, and have zips right up the legs and across the back bottom.
I have no idea why you would want to zip the back bottom off.

Hang on ... I've just worked it out ... I can have a number 2 and not have to get all my pants off!
latest report
Blown away by the response - cheers folks! oh and sorry for not replying sooner!

@Spoon - cheers for the heads up, I didn't know they had an outlet store!

@under a new name - Decathlon's website is a bit weird as the pictures don't line up (first picture has full length side zips, the others don't), They aren't goretex but they are a lot cheaper! I'll have a look and see if I can get them anywhere else to try on.

@hang11 - How's the membrane doing? My only experience of Paclite was when it was first released and it wasn't particularly durable. The membrane would stop working after a year or so.

@Dave of the Marmottes - I'm going to Whistler so yes! Ha! I've found goretex to be the most hard wearing of the didn't membranes. If I'm spending a lot of money I want it to last many years! My Montane eVent jacket has only just stopped being waterproof at 9years old! Have you found Dare2b hard wearing?

@Raceplate - Thanks for the suggestion but given the outlet price of the Lofoten I think these cost too much.

@limegreen1 - sold that already for the jacket... Laughing

@DB - I was thinking Party Boy from Jackass, but whatever it takes for a cheap post ski drink eh? Laughing

@big_ben - Do they have loops for braces? I can't see any and they don't mention them on their site.

@Mr.Egg - How long have you had them? Are they holding up well? Do you find the chest section sweaty?

@Roguevfr - They good work. Any experience of DRILITE?

@Sowler - I'm not sure the zips are quite in the right place. The lower one won't go high enough for me to easily adjust the lower section of the brace. Thanks for the suggestion though!

@Tirol 164 - I did see those but the lack of a snow gaiters put me off.

@DrLawn - It'll go with the back bottom zip in my baselayer onesie! Laughing

@GlasgowCyclops - Male, large or medium size. I've looked on Tiso's website and can only see the 'light' version which is meant to be a slimmer fit. I got my first ever ski clothes from Tiso in Newcastle Upon Tyne before they closed the shop. Shame they don't have any shops in the south.
ski holidays
sinttesi wrote:
Blown away by the response - cheers folks! oh and sorry for not replying sooner!

@Mr.Egg - How long have you had them? Are they holding up well? Do you find the chest section sweaty?

3 years & they have been great. Not a drop has got through & being a snowboarder I spend a lot of time sat on my back bottom.
Being 20k breathability, they are really thin. ie no insulation, so not sweaty at all.
snow conditions
I have been using Arcteryx bib pants for a long time, You won't go wrong with a pair of Theta or Beta bibs, detachable braces and full length side zips that means the pant can be fully separated for a full on comfort stop, and no hassle with the braces as they fast stud fix with 2 poppers at the waist, they won't disappear inside your jacket either. Premium kit that will last a while.

On MRT we got issued Mountain Equipment changabang pants, the first editions ones, not made with goretex but with drilite (as its called now) tough as nails and lasted about a year before they started to get pinpoint leakes, but hey, that's using them for full-time mountain work as well as MRT stuff, so proper abuse. The fabric worked well and stood up to horrendous weather, and was not sweaty like gortex can be.
snow report
@sinttesi,

On the outdoor research pants it is fine (surprisingly so). They are lightweight but I’ve had 4 ski seasons out of them, maybe 20 days each season, plus because the boot gaiters are removable I’ve used them as waterproof pants for hiking and hunting a fair bit. The back bottom is getting a bit thin but for the price and performance I’m really happy with how well they have done. I’ll probably replace them with the same ones because they are pretty cheap for the spec. I like OR gear - good value for money and performs well.
snow conditions
On the Sweet Protection Pants, at least the model I have the zips are full length. Looks like the latest style might not be.

These are full length https://www.snowcountry.nl/sweet-supernaut-r-pant.html
snow conditions
@sinttesi, Don't know if you are sorted yet, but Marmot Spire salopettes are available for sensible prices an Amazon - just got some - full length side zips, drop seat, high waist style, Gore-Tex, got mine in black but some blue ones are around as well.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy