Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kids ski length for 2 years

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Was thinking of buying skis for our son with the aim of getting 2 years of use out of them.

Does anyone find that kids cope better with skis that are slightly too long or slightly too short?

He'll be about 145cm tall this winter - and about 150cm next.

So I was thinking about getting some 140cm skis.

He's got a few weeks under his belt - now ESF 3* level I think. He should manage right? I was thinking if there's a touch a rocker to them 140 shouldn't be too long this year.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@frejul,
My son was about that tall last year and was mostly on 138 Mantras (which are a bit rockered), or 130 race skis. He did ski a bit on some 151 Directors by the end of the season, and was just fine, but mostly on powder days and they are really rockered.
He trains with a local ski race team/club and in the Whistler Freeride Club so is quite handy.

Not sure that helps your choice, but don't go too long too soon - maybe renting is the way forward still?
We ski a lot, so buying skis (several pairs!) for the kids every year is worth it even though I'd normally expect to trade them in for longer ones quite frequently. Therefore I'd pick the size that works, not what they will grow into
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I’ve normally had my son on top of head height skis for the past few years - K2 shreditors (twin tip) starting with 119 cm, then 129 cm, and now 139 cm. At the start of last season he was 140 cm tall and I hesitated to sell the 129 cm skis but in the end he was fine on the 139 cm skis.

Now he’s about 146 cm tall but I think I’ll keep his 139 cm skis this year. I also have some 154cm Bent Chetler skis for him which are 90mm underfoot. But I need to get some bindings, and perhaps we bring them if we get some deeper snow Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the tips. Hoping to take him twice this year including one short trip where I'd like to be able to just drive into the resort, park and ski without renting.

I was guessing his height for next year by looking at the height chart in his "red book" (those in the UK will know what this is). Perhaps they should include a page on ski sizes!! Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@frejul, if you are set on buying then I would buy what is right now, rather than trying to anticipate how tall your son will be. The growth charts give average growth, and individual children are unlikely to match the average. Your son might grow the average 5 cm in the next year...or 15 cm...or....

My daughter has gone through 4 pairs in 5 years. The first pair I felt were a bit short when I bought them, and lasted 2 years no problem. Since then, nothing has gone beyond one season (except possibly last year's, but she is nearly adult height now so not growing v fast any more).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy