Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Grand Massif Piste Map

Poster: A snowHead
The Grand Massif website has a new piste map.

They introduced the new Coulouvrier ski lift last year to replace Lanche, together with two blue runs to reach it - one from the Morillon side and one from the Samoens 1600 plateau. There are now two new red runs in the same valley as alternative ways to reach the lift. There is also a new Piste map to show how it all fits together.

Sad that I get excited by two new runs!

Even sadder, still five months until I go...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Got a link then?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
https://winter.grand-massif.com/lift-map
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Also seems that most of Sixt's lifts have disappeared. Anyone know anything about this, or just a mistake?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
When I was in GM back in March I seem to recall that they were closing the lifts at Sixt for good at the end of the season. They were certainly all very old and rickety!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sixt seems to have lifts at Salvagny...?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Some pictures of the new runs we took in early september, You can see the areas of trees being cleared and the cleared area at the top, had to take with my old phone as the camera and new phone were both flat

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 19-10-18 8:52; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
They have also changed the Massif/Flaine ski pass boundary. The Massif ski pass, or Vill4ges as it’s been renamed, no longer includes the Grand Vans sector. This will reduce traffic on Vernant and Tourmaline which have been getting busier each year, especially with group lessons.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@jgr1, ah, that’s a sensible move. For once.

Also. Why can’t they test their (ski areas in general) websites on more than just one commonly used OS?

Sucks on my ipad. Not many of them around and in use I guess.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@under a new name, use the download link at the top.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I am also hoping that they have worked on them a bit as well, as last season the 'blue' could be a bit of a pig. Lovely runs, nice and quiet but had the tendency to ice up a bit. @Zorrac, any idea if they have done anymore work to widen/improve perce neige as it comes off the Tete? I did not get up that far this summer to look. I think it is an obvious one for them to improve esp with Coulouvrier carrying to so many more skier than Lanche ever did.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ringingmaster, won’t download the interactive map though will it.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Cheesie168, Yes there was some work being done to the left of it, and quite a bit on tete des saix itself, it looked a bit like a moonscape with lots of jcb things about, all stones.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
we're staying in morillon 1100 (going feb 9th) but had to book kids lesson in flaine as I left it too late to book morillon (oops!). i think I can see the route from morillon to flaine but wonder if anyone can confirm best route (each way) so I can reassure myself that the route I'm planning doesn't make us ski uphill!
lessons not til 12 (just 2 days) and kids are pretty competent skiers so I presume we'll be fine time-wise (we're good at getting up and ready for lift opening)?
thanks Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@lcd80, the quickest 3 lifts and runs you need are Sairon, Les Chars blue to Coulouvrier, Silice & Dolomie blues to Vernant, then Tourmaline blue all the way down. All those lifts are fast chairs so wouldn't imagine it'd take much more than an hour plus queuing time.

On the way back you can do it in 2 lifts (from Flaine Foret - you have to take an extra lift to get there from the main part of Flaine) - a couple of different routes possible, but in peak season the most pleasant one will probably be:

Grands Vans, Dolomie & Portet blues to Les Molliets, then l'Arete blue followed by whatever you fancy! This route avoids the Tete des Saix which can get a bit busy.
snow conditions
@lcd80, Did you try booking in Les Carroz or Samoens as they would be easier to get to than Flaine. Sometimes links to Flaine are shut in bad weather.

If the weather is good and the kids are able skiers you would be ok with your planned lessons in Flaine.
ski holidays
Thanks very much! That sounds like what i had figured.
Samoens was also fully booked. Les Carroz had space but was more expensive and the times were not as good. If weather is OK to get to Les Carroz but not to Flaine, looks like we could get the bus round to Flaine - correct? Not ideal but keeping fingers crossed for good weather.
ski holidays
No bus to Flaine from Morillon. Easy to ski to Les Carroz though, Sairon chair and a 10 minute ski.
ski holidays
I meant ski to Les Carroz and get the bus from there to Flaine. seems to be a pretty regular (but not free) service taking 20 minutes. probably preferable to driving from Morillon to Flaine.
snow report
As far as I know there is no regular bus from les carroz to Flaine. The bus from Les Carroz village only goes to what is now called Les Carroz 1500, which is the bottom of the tete de saix lift. The ski link to Flaine that sometimes gets shut in bad weather is in the Vernant/Tourmaline area.
snow report
skier52 wrote:
No bus to Flaine from Morillon. Easy to ski to Les Carroz though, Sairon chair and a 10 minute ski.

There used to be a bus from Morillon to Flaine (although not from Morillon 1100). We used it once when we accidentally ended up there at the end of a day Embarassed Laughing
ski holidays
There is a regular bus from LC to Flaine (timetable in LC Tourist Office window) but has to be paid for, not sure if you have to pay at Tourist office or pay driver (dedicated bus-stop in centre now). No free Navette from LC to Carroz 1500 this year, probably as it was rarely used last 2 years.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 9-01-19 9:29; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
It was a bus from Cluses to Flaine that I saw a timetable for - hourly service I think - stopping at 'Araches - Les Carroz' and 'Araches - Les Molliets', which I'm assuming from the piste map is LC 1500?
snow conditions
"Les Molliets" has been labelled officially now as Carroz 1500, I wonder if this means a new satellite holiday village will spring up there soon!
latest report
To use the least "bussing" route from Morillon to Flaine, it's worth going Sairon chair, ski to Gron chair in LC area, at top of chair go straight ahead (not left or right) as it's direct access to base of Molliets lift.

At that point you can either get the bus or if the connecting route opens, just go via piste through Tete des Saix.

Coming back if connection closed, bus to Molliets, then access is direct into Morillon from the top.
ski holidays
Sounds good. can't wait - liking the snow that's falling there just now. obviously I want it to continue for the next 4 weeks then be sunny for a week Wink
ski holidays
@lcd80, sounds like you have this covered now. One thing to consider is to head back not too long after the lessons finish in Flaine. Dolomie can get very busy at the end of the day and I try and avoid the 'last run' time - the other half and the kids take it in their stride but I am a little more cautious. Plenty of fun and games to be had back on your side later in the afternoon.
snow conditions
hello again GM experts. I was browsing the open runs today and see that the link from Morillon to Flaine is open, but the Silice and Malice runs are closed. Is there another route that I can't spot from the piste map? I can't see how to get to the Vernant lift without at least the malice part (the red Sortilege is open but how do you get to it?).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alternative route to Flaine is, Sairon, head toward Les Carroz, use Gron chair, then head toward Molliets lift base.

That should connect you to Tete D Saix for any direction you need onwards.
ski holidays
Odd, I checked as well and yes it does appear to be shut on the interactive map and the Saix Express, Molliets and Coulouvrier lifts are not shown as open either. My first thought was that Coulouvrier being closed would maybe due to the dreadful accident and fatalities the other day. But I checked the Tete webcam shows the runs with people on them and people seem to be getting off where it tops out but that might be people getting off the Chariande Express. I will be there next weekend so will let you know. Or @Zorrac, might be on a bit later to let you know. I also think that SJxxx is there at the moment and might report in.
snow report
Saix express was bust today, so had to use molliets and ski down char to new lift to access tete des saix

Super snow and conditions today
snow report
so from Tete des Saix, there is only one way to get to Flaine? That's what i thought from the map, but on Flaine's website with list of open runs, Salice and Malice were supposedly closed but the link to Flaine open. That doesn't make sense unless there is another way to get from TdS to Vernant?
snow conditions
@lcd80, all the runs down to vernant were open from tete des saix
snow conditions
just a glitch on the website then - had me confused, easily done!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy