Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss Railways to withdraw Swiss Transfer Ticket

Poster: A snowHead
For many years visitors to Switzerland have been able to use a Swiss Transfer Ticket to get to any Swiss resort from any Swiss Airport or border, and back again. I've received information from the DHO in Wengen that sales of this ticket are being discontinued effective 31 December 2018. If you wish to use a Swiss Transfer Ticket for a trip to a Swiss ski resort in 2019, you will need to buy it before the end of 2018. Although sales of the ticket will end this year, those already purchased can still be used in 2019.

A bit of a shame, as the Swiss Transfer ticket often worked out a bit cheaper than buying the standard Swiss Railways tickets (although that depended on how close your arrival airport was to your destination) and it was entirely flexible regarding what time trains you used.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Swiss Transfer ticket was always much cheaper than a standard return for our regular journey Geneva to Zermatt. Intrigued how the pricing will change.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for that info; I will buy two transfer tickets before the December deadline!

Have used the Swiss Supersaver tickets on a number of previous occasions; you are tied to a specific train, but considerably cheaper than standard tickets and, quite often, the transfer ticket too.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Odd thing to do. Lots of hotels used to bundle a transfer ticket with your stay - it was easy as they didn’t need to know what your route was going to be.

SBB seem to be concentrating on going high-tech these days: https://www.sbb.ch/en/timetable/mobile-apps/sbb-mobile-preview/easyride.html
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That is a shame as I used it several time, could an Interrail pass for Switzerland be the answer, a three day pass is £117 at the moment which is similar to the transfer ticket, it would also give you the opportunity to go to a different resort for the day.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Whilst I don't doubt your source @Alastair Pink, I can't find mention of this anywhere else, e.g. on the SBB site - which seems strange.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
https://www.mystsnet.com/en/news/aufhebung-swiss-transfer-ticket/
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@LOTA, aha - thanks.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
larry1950 wrote:
That is a shame as I used it several time, could an Interrail pass for Switzerland be the answer, a three day pass is £117 at the moment which is similar to the transfer ticket, it would also give you the opportunity to go to a different resort for the day.

Good suggestion. snowHead I just looked at this site and I see that the three day pass to which you referred is valid for any 3 days within a month. However the price you quoted of £117 is only for those classed as a youth (age 12-27). The adult price (28-59) is £135 but I see that for those (like me) classed as Senior (60+) the price is £121. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
That site has the condition stipulated:

Only European residents can travel with an Interrail Pass. If you’re a non-European resident, you can travel with a Eurail Pass. Read more

I wonder if UK citizens will still be regarded as "European" for yhe purposes of Interrail Pass after Brexit or do we need to a buy EUrail pass?

If so the closest Eurail pass seems to be a 4 day pass for 2 month bring €257 for an Adult
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Alastair Pink, Sorry, normally have adult first then children but still an option, I used it earlier this year travelling around Switzerland and it worked really well for us.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just spoken to the Swiss travel centre in London. It is being discontinued from December 31st this year. Passes bought by then will be valid certainly to March of 2019, which is when I need them.
Thanks for the thread as I would normally have waited till the month before travel!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
twoodwar wrote:
Just spoken to the Swiss travel centre in London. It is being discontinued from December 31st this year. Passes bought by then will be valid certainly to March of 2019, which is when I need them.
Thanks for the thread as I would normally have waited till the month before travel!

@twoodwar, glad to be of assistance, I've ordered mine too. snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good spot. Thanks for the heads up...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Frustrating. Going to be CHF40 more per person for us (Geneva to Täsch, next to Zermatt, return). There are going to be even more occasions when it is cheaper to rent a car.
snow conditions
It's now been replaced by the saver day pass which is cheaper as long as you buy (up to 60 days) in advance, as little as 52CHF anywhere in CH including buses.

https://www.sbb.ch/en/travelcards-and-tickets/buying-options/saving.html
snow conditions
Steve Sparks wrote:
It's now been replaced by the saver day pass which is cheaper as long as you buy (up to 60 days) in advance, as little as 52CHF anywhere in CH including buses.

https://www.sbb.ch/en/travelcards-and-tickets/buying-options/saving.html

Interesting. Can also use it with the half price card. I am going to have to invest in one of them.
snow report
Just looking at the saver day pass option for an trip Geneva to Zermatt.

I assume this is only valid on any train journey during the 24 hour period but can't seem to see how to book a specific train.

If this is so you can't book seats?

We are thinking of upgrading to 1st class but as a group we would prefer to be seated together otherwise it could be a bit of a lottery ?
ski holidays
@hedley, there is no way to book seats on the Geneva-to-Zermatt trains. Assuming that you start your journey at the airport, that is the starting point of the trains so it should be easy to get seats together (preferably on the right-hand side for the amazing lake views beyond Lausanne). Hence I wouldn't upgrade to first class - Zermatt is pricey enough as it is!
Unrelated: pack snacks and water, there is no catering on board.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy