Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

November with a beginner

Poster: A snowHead
I need your informed opinion re: the 2nd half of this November.
My 17 years old daughter finally agreed to try skiing once more. She is a nervous beginner in the snowplough phase.
She will need ski lessons obviously.I am looking for a snowsure place with cruisy blues for confidence.
Any ideas?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@drporat, val d'isere opening weekend 25th Nov. Can't guarantee snow so wait till nearer the time. Great cruiser areas and download at the end of the day
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
holidayloverxx wrote:
@drporat, val d'isere opening weekend 25th Nov. Can't guarantee snow so wait till nearer the time. Great cruiser areas and download at the end of the day

I thought about it, but we are limited by a tight school schedule. Can fly from around 19 nov, only the glacier will probably be open.
Today they opened the glacier in Tignes but closed it at lunch due to technicalities.
Austria?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I guess weather dependent (season opening is 'as soon as possible'), but Scandinavia might be good. Really pretty mellow greens and blues are my memory of trysil - and I was there having had the stuffing knocked out of me from an ill judged go at st anton 'blues'. The lessons were fab and fun, including playing in a mini snow park etc. Can be expensive, but better if you have a kitchenette!

I love Austria now but some places the blues feel pretty steep, which can be a worry if confidence has been knocked. Only experienced a few places though so happy to be corrected!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 17-10-18 17:28; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Obergurgl / Hochgurgl is probably the most snow sure place in the Alps that isn't just a glacier and one of very few to be scheduled to be open by your dates although anywhere at that time is a pretty massive gamble
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What dates can you go? How late in November?
Kronplatz opens 30.11.18 so really a December trip rather than November. But because of the shape of the mountain, there are easier slopes high up and you get to those by gondola so you can gondola down at the end of the day. Always going to be taking a chance with weather and conditions to some extent, but the artificial snowmaking is excellent.
Not the easiest of resorts to get to from UK but if you can do a DIY trip and fly to Innsbruck then it is very do-able. Plenty of good quality self catering accommodation.
If you are looking for easy direct access to the top of the mountain easy areas by gondola, then that is best from staying in accommodation in Reischach / Riscone or Perca / Percha or possibly Bruneck / Brunico
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
drporat wrote:

Any ideas?

Put her on a snowboard
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So lessons (poss private) in a fridge ?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
drporat wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

I thought about it, but we are limited by a tight school schedule. Can fly from around 19 nov, only the glacier will probably be open.
Today they opened the glacier in Tignes but closed it at lunch due to technicalities.
Austria?

I'd say Hintertux. I've been to Hintertux in the last week in November for the last 3 years, and the conditions have always been good (the glacier skiing is open all year round). There are suitable beginner areas and there is a rental shop and ski and boot depot up the mountain (as well as several rental shops in Hintertux itself). There is some accommodation at Hintertux itself, but I've always stayed at the excellent Hotel Jaeger in Lanersbach (the last village before you reach Hintertux going up the valley) and it's served by a frequent free skibus. I usually fly Lufthansa into Munich as their flights are reasonably priced and they give free ski carriage (I guess that won't be a consideration for your daughter but it might be for you if you have your own skis). From Munich I always use Four Seasons Travel (Tirol Taxi) for the transfer direct from airport to Lanersbach (92Euros return). Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alastair Pink wrote:
From Munich I always use Four Seasons Travel (Tirol Taxi) for the transfer direct from airport to Lanersbach (92Euros return).
That's a great price. Is that for a taxi just for yourself, or a shared transfer by minibus or coach? Will bookmark Four Season for future use.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar wrote:
Alastair Pink wrote:
From Munich I always use Four Seasons Travel (Tirol Taxi) for the transfer direct from airport to Lanersbach (92Euros return).
That's a great price. Is that for a taxi just for yourself, or a shared transfer by minibus or coach? Will bookmark Four Season for future use.

That's for a notional shared transfer (in a minibus), but on occasion I've been the only person in the vehicle. Madeye-Smiley

I believe they also do a transfer service from Innsbruck airport.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Alastair Pink, thanks, helpful to know. I guess for a very early season trip there is more chance of not many people wanting to share the ride. Do they drop you off at your property or in the centre of town?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I’ve only been to Hintertux once a very long time ago. I can remember exactly when as the Berlin Wall came down while I was there. A German gentleman that I dined with told me all about it! That makes it early November and we actually had snow down in the valley that year. I remember being impressed at how much skiing they had open and how good it was. Maybe not a typical year though.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:
@Alastair Pink, thanks, helpful to know. I guess for a very early season trip there is more chance of not many people wanting to share the ride. Do they drop you off at your property or in the centre of town?

Drop off right at your accommodation. Smile
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Alastair Pink, excellent, thanks.
snow conditions
From Munich its easy to get the train to Mayrhofen.. 3hr relaxing journey, only about 40 euros. From there you could get a bus/taxi up the valley to Hintertux (your accommodation might even collect you?). I went to Hintertux in October half term last year and it was open then with decent enough snow so November should be fine - they were due good snow this week last time I looked. Only reservation I had was that the ski school wasn't the most accommodating.. our children have all skied before and were lumped in with some beginners so had a wasted day before we realised and the subsequent days weren't much better either. I would double check with the ski school exactly what is planned with the lesson and group size etc. Understandably they don't have as many instructors out of main season... Other than that it is a great place to go.
snow conditions
I have done Obergurgl in the last week of Dec and we tend to do Hintertux mid Nov each year. We have also been to Solden mid Nov. Being so high the conditions can be hit and miss with wind and cloud but we have never been disappointed with the snow.
snow conditions
@drporat, honestly, wait. This time of the year isn't going to be great and by default you'll be skiing higher up therefore higher chance of wind and cold. Can you not take her later in the season?
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
Can you not take her later in the season?
This. I don't think taking a beginner pre-season skiing is a great idea. Choice of resort, choice of terrain, available ski lessons will all be compromised compared to the season proper. That's less of an issue for more experienced skiers, but for a beginner I think it is too much of a compromise and will probably mean a poor first experience.
latest report
I’d have to agree with @rob@rar on this. When I was there I loved it due to the conditions and was a reasonably competent skier by then and had already done the week before at Stubai glacier, which I’d also recommend. I met up with a couple of guys whilst in Hintertux. One was an experienced skier but the other was a beginner who did have lessons but I got the impression that it wasn’t the greatest experience for him.
latest report
Many thanks for your input, extremely useful. This forum is both valuable and fun.
November 19 was her only possible date due to exams, i begged her to join us for the PSB bash in December (Tignes) or later. She's got her priorities messed up, putting school and graduation above skiing. I forgive her, for she is young and will later learn.. NehNeh
I ruled out Val Tho/EK for mid-November - limited piste length on the glaciers plus I wanted her to avoid red pistes and go for confidence building cruising blues. Hence Austria, as many here wrote before.
We have to return early morning on Sat.24, so Innsbruck instead of Munchen, it's about 2 hours less.I like driving off the mountains in total darkness and gradually watching the night fading as we approach the boring civilization. I will take my beloved XDR 8o TI and boots within checked luggage, Austrian/Lufthansa should carry for them for free in the 23 kg allowance. I have a CabinZero back pack which is perfect for the rest.
Now for the hard part: Hintertux or Solden?
I am under the impression that Hintertux is harder and more challenging for her. In case only the glacier will be available, there are only 2-4 blue pistes there (by Olperer and Kaserer lifts according to https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/hintertux-glacier-hintertuxer-gletscher/trail-map/ interactive map). As you guys wrote here, it can seem harsh up there for her (skiing parallel but turning by snowplough). Nevertheless I plan private lessons for her, leaving me alone in the mornings.
On the other hand, Solden should be open from Nov 15 and even if not, the glaciers there have more blue pistes (accesible with the skibus from downtown if the season starts badly). I have been there last December and the blue pistes seemed ideal for beginners and early intermediates, plus we will always have Obergurgl if the weather will allow it (last dec. we fled the whiteouts to Solden). Not much of a city, but fun to ski on their wide slopes
ski holidays
The earliest I have skied, was the week before Thanksgiving (IIRC. middle of Nov)....and it was in Breckenridge. Decent enough Snow at that time and very cheap prices for 5* Beaver Run Resort accommodation and excellent Instruction.

It's an idea...though may well not be suitable.
ski holidays
Skiing on the glaciers at Solden is easy enough, butting getting up to them and back down again can be quite tricky if snow conditions aren't ideal.
snow conditions
Just a word of warning regarding lufthansa. Free ski carriage is only on higher priced seats. If you get the cheapest seats (super economy or something like that) it's 140 euro for skis.
ski holidays
Canuck wrote:
Just a word of warning regarding lufthansa. Free ski carriage is only on higher priced seats. If you get the cheapest seats (super economy or something like that) it's 140 euro for skis.

Thanks, I have just checked by phone with their local representative. I have regular tickets, it covers regular 23 kg suitcase plus ski equipment, in a separate ski bag.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 22-10-18 13:23; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
You will need a glacier (in Western Europe).

1. Saas Fee.
2. Hintertux.
3. Zermatt.
4. Tignes.
ski holidays
Will Hintertux be a better option for a beginner in mid-November, or Sőlden?
I am hoping Sőlden will open its blue pistes then.
Plus the skibus from downtown will allegedly get her to the glacier with its blue pistes.
We are coming by car from Innsbruck, Stubai should also be close.
latest report
@drporat, leave it for a while to see how the snowfall plays out over the next 10 days would be my advice. Solid numbers possible for all the glaciers + Obergurgl, which would probably be my pick IF the snow conditions play out. There are also two fully qualified Scottish female aki instructors there if you’re booking private lessons for your daughter (I can dig out contact info if you want).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
drporat wrote:
I need your informed opinion re: the 2nd half of this November.
My 17 years old daughter finally agreed to try skiing once more. She is a nervous beginner in the snowplough phase.
She will need ski lessons obviously.I am looking for a snowsure place with cruisy blues for confidence.
Any ideas?

I know this isn't what you asked so please feel free to ignore but....

By the sounds of it she didn't enjoy it previously. And taking "a nervous beginner" in mid-Nov seems like a recipe for disaster to me. If she has any hope of getting into skiing (and that in itself is a debate*) then I would have thought late March with good snow, long days, better weather, to a suitable pleasant and relaxed ski area, good for beginners, would be the order of the day.

* Which has been had before!
ski holidays
Hintertux ski school have 'guaranteed' group lessons. In other words, if your daughter is the only person signed up at her level, she gets a full length private lesson. Unlike some schools which cancel or reduce the length of the lesson if under-subscribed.
latest report
Quote:

need your informed opinion re: the 2nd half of this November.
Any ideas?

Glaciers in November tend not be places to cruise on! The weather may be fine, but all to often is very very cold and very very windy. I'd wait until an opportunity arises in late March or April. In the mean time why not have lessons in the UK.. then your daughter will be much more capable when you can get to the snow.
snow conditions
You are all correct, november isn't the best time to try skiing once again but those were her only possible dates for the time being, and she was anxious to go skiing with me.
If she could do it 2 weeks later, she would have comewith me to the Tignes' bash.
I have no idea how your 17 years old kids are, I am glad when/if she wants to come with me anywhere. Doesn't happen much...
She is a good athlete and a good student and I am sure that with proper private lessons she might enjoy it. rolling eyes
Driving from Innsbruck, i tend to choose Solden as better for her as opposed to Hintertux who seems harsher and harder.
I've been there last Dec. and enjoyed it more than Obergurgl. Any recommendation for ski school/accommodation?
I always have a plan B. Private ski lessons for her in the morning while I will ski alone, lunch on the mountain then driving in the afternoons to the Aqua Dome spa.
snow report
@drporat, Hope it goes well. Good luck Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy