Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dreaming of a long weekend for 2...

Poster: A snowHead
...but it always seems harder to arrange than it should - and more expensive.

But am looking at relative merits of flying to Zurich, Munich, Milan, Turin and Venice (have discounted Geneva because I think I know how to manage a weekend from there)

For all of them we can get a flight out early Thursday back late Monday

I can drive but prefer trains

Its for the first weekend in March

Things I already know - it would be easier to go Weds to Sat or Sun to Weds to get accommodation.

You need might need chains if driving

So - trying to maximise time on snow - shortest/easiest transfer whilst trying to have a sensible budget - any money savers appreciated (helicopter transfers are right out - very long taxi rides tend to strain too)

Just need basic accommodation. My best efforts yet was Geneva to Grand Massif - skied Thurs pm, all day Fri Sat Sun and Monday, flew back late Monday.

Any wisdom gratefully received. snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
what about innsbruck & salzburg?

1st weekend of march is still french half term
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Turin gives train link from airport direct to city everyday.

From there, the railway route to France goes through val de Susa and has stations at O'ulx for Sauze, then Bardoneccia, passing into France and Modane is main station for Maurienne valley, with I believe normal schedule coach services to Val Cenis. This is not very far up the valley, probably 40 mins ish.

Obviously links would need checking but I don't think they are specials into the ski areas from train, so could offer you good flexibility.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

what about innsbruck & salzburg?

1st weekend of march is still french half term

Neither do early Thursday/Late Monday flights

Quote:

Turin gives train link from airport direct to city everyday.

Thanks Ski3 - Any thoughts about how long to get from wheels down in Turin to clipping in at Sauze?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stay away from the big resorts (everyone makes that mistake) fly to Vienna (cheap flights) take direct cheap train to Semmering or the orhers.

https://www.ski-austria.com/vienna/
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hows about Munich to Garmisch, s-bahn to the train station is 45 mins, then train to Garmisch is somewhere under 1.5 hours. Lots of hotels in the town showing availability for weekends, train/bus goes along to the Zugspitze. Maybe not a massive resort but enough for a weekend possibly (and a bit different!)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@sergeantslow, I've not used the train to do this so anyone with direct experience should be able to be more accurate than me.

I've travelled it via coach (tour operator) which was about two hours.

It's listed as 87 kms from Turin to Sauze and 1:19mins driving, so the numbers are reasonable. It looks like early morning flight arrival would certainly give you snow by lunch time without any problems. It's an easy route along the Val D Suza so no showstoppers in the way as it's a main route into France.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Take the train from Zurich Airport change at Zurich Central and then on to Engleberg.

If the flights are early enough you may get Thursday afternoon skiing. Alternatively a late flight back may give you Monday skiing. Or both Smile

Couple of cheaper guesthouses and apartments available 28 Feb - 04 March (4 nights under £400 i.e less than £50 per person per night) on booking.com

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 17-10-18 13:09; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've done something like this twice, both times flying to Geneva: fly in on Friday afternoon/evening, ski all day Saturday/Sunday/Monday, late flight back on Monday (or Thursday-Sunday depending on flight times). The first time was sort of budget - we stayed in the Ibis in Sallanches and drove up to Les Carroz every day. The second time we stayed in a very nice hotel about halfway up from Sallanches to Megeve and drove there every day. Obviously staying in resort would remove some of the driving, but would add cost, and I think you'd still want the car rather than booking transfers to maximise ski time. Parking was easy and free in both cases.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just searched "turin to Sauze D Oulx" and gives comprehensive details.

Among them a few slots down is "sauzeonline.com" that drops you straight onto specific air rail details. Hope that helps.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I did La Clusaz last winter. Did late Thursday flight to late Monday flight Bristol to Geneva. Short transfer, lots of accommodation options, much quieter then the more mainstream resorts in France and more than enough skiing to keep you entertained, especially when you chuck in Le Grand Bornand on the lift pass too.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well, y’know, anyone can organise from GVA, from anywhere you just do not have the infrastructure without renting a car, and even then a 60 min transfer is hard to achieve.

Flying and skiing require radically different topography.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I would second @Mike Pow's suggestion of Zurich -> train to Engelberg. I've done this twice for a short trip and it worked perfectly both times. Last day skied until 3pm and caught late flight back to London.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@sergeantslow, You say where you are flying to but where are you flying from?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Milan is a good bet for a change from the usual. Arosa valley, Cervinia etc well within driving range. Other way anywhere out to Brenta Dollies/ Val di Sole is achievable. But then I accept a few hours late driving is the price you pay to maximise a long weekend.
ski holidays
Quote:

sergeantslow, You say where you are flying to but where are you flying from?

Hey John - ideally I'd like to go from the North of England but that doesn't really work - I can jig work so I'm in London so that gives lots more flexibility.
ski holidays
And thanks for all the Geneva stuff but as per the OP, I think I know how to do Geneva (and don't want to accidently drift into car hire from the swiss side!).

Will do more work on Engelberg and Semmering as switched allegiance to Austria and Italy a few years ago. And thanks Ski3 for pointers on Sauze
snow report
Oops Engelberg in Swizerland before I get flamed
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy