Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

10 Young "Professionals" Try To Find Somewhere That Suits Us (St Anton?)

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All, after organising a great trip to La Clusaz last year the planning of our annual ski trip begins now. We will be between 8-10 24ish year olds looking for somewhere with a large range of slopes, fantastic Apres and within budget.... easy right? Our group consists of skiers who have done a few weeks to those that have done a couple of seasons.

Last year in La Clusaz we stayed in Saint Jean Du Sixt which meant a bus ride to the lifts every morning (completely fine)... but the hitchhike back at 11pm is not something we want to do again. We went in April which is maybe why taxies were none existent?

This year we are happy to visit anytime in March for one week. We would really like to visit St Anton but so far finding anywhere in budget is proving difficult. Budget is £400pp for accommodation. So what i'm really looking for is advice about the cost of St Anton/surrounding area. Or suggestions as to other resorts we have not considered.

Many many thanks in advance.
Ed
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
An updated budget:
Price PP (£)
Accomodation 400
Flights 80
Transfer 70
Ski Hire 100
Ski Pass 200

Total 850

+ Speanding Money

Is this achievable?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Sheddy, catered accommodation or self catering?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Saalbach Hinterglemm - it delivers on the first two needs, and is certainly cheaper than st anton. There's a massively useful thread on here from last season which will tell you all about the place, do a search.

I've only stayed in st anton once, but was browsing a few weeks ago and noted that nasserin area is much cheaper for accommodation. Did the walk from there to the main bit of town in boots with skis after having a mid mountain meltdown, it was maybe 10 mins? Might be worth a look for apartments there.

Edited to say - went to westendorf late March last year for a very similar budget to yours, skiing was fantastic, easy by train from Innsbruck, apres hit and miss! But there may be other areas in the skiwelt with better apres that would suit!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 16-10-18 12:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Sheddy, is the £400pp accommodation budget for room only, with no food?

St Anton is not one of the cheaper Austrian towns. On the edge of town is Nasserein. Maybe better value accommodation there, good access to ski area and not too far from town for apres.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Sheddy, catered accommodation or self catering?
self catered
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PeakyB wrote:
@Sheddy, is the £400pp accommodation budget for room only, with no food?

St Anton is not one of the cheaper Austrian towns. On the edge of town is Nasserein. Maybe better value accommodation there, good access to ski area and not too far from town for apres.

Yes that would be for the room only.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Sheddy, should be fairly easy then. For example, Crystal has some packages, in St Anton, either self catering or in a couple of cases half board, departing 16 March, within that £850pp budget.

Inghams, Neilson and others should have too.

Alpine Answers may also be worth a look.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Can tick all those boxes but a little short on the easy return from Aprés!
Although we have a little bar in our basement it doesn't quite have that massive Austrian vibe that you may be seeking wink
Shame as you could taste a different slice of aprés from loads of different places (Schladming & Flachau for starters) but would have to grab a cab (of which there will be loads!)

Saalbach Hinterglemm is a great option. Really good high-street and mountain aprés and plenty of accommodation nearby. Plus a bit of night skiing too (both sanctioned on the flood lit piste and maybe not so sanctioned on your way home!!)

Transfers from Salzburg are under €70, Ski passes are a little more (€200 seems a bit low but I know ours are a little more that other places).

I'd think of the budget as a whole though rather than breaking it down like that!

Good luck!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Ski Pass 200

I suspect you will be looking at Eastern Europe to get a week's lift pass at this rate. Have a look at this link for ideas. https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2014/feb/14/eastern-europe-skiing-budget-resorts.

Getting a large apartment or chalet for 9 should be easably doable for less than the £3600 you are proposing, but I suspect you may like to eat while there. I budget about £10 per day per person for food and drink (a very generous figure)

Or you can wait until the very last minute and see what the tour operators are offering,
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Sheddy, sorry but not a chance on that budget, I’d suggest you need £1300 pp minimum and that’s down the valley £1500 in town. Don’t know where you are flying from but you’ll pay top money now flights have been out for ages, you’re a bit late for cheap deals.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There are a handful of packages to St Anton for sub £800 through https://www.crystalski.co.uk, departing 23rd March. A lot easier than trying to sort all the bits out yourselves, and they're all catered in some way, one of them (Chalet Tirolerhaus) is catered, which will save you a fortune eating out.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 16-10-18 12:56; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@johnE, £10 a day food and drink, where you eating....the bins around the back of Billa supermarket?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you are looking at Austria a number of possible places come to mind, St Anton, Ischgl, Sölden, Mayrhofen and Saalbach-Hinterglemm. Personally I would say St Anton should be top of the list, the only potential downside would be cost, though not sure it really is that much more than the other places on the list (a 6 day Arlberg ski pass is €289, Ischgl will be similar I would have thought and the other places maybe a little bit less). Ischgl is probably the most expensive of these places, but large area of varied high skiing. Depending on whether early or late March I might be a bit dubious about snow conditions in S-H (I know the S-H fan club will be out to argue otherwise but a very significant part of the skiing there is low and south facing) but good for apres and maybe a bit more variety on the accommodation front. I have not skied in either Sölden or Mayrhofen as the skiing has always struck me as rather spread out but both have glacier skiing (hopefully not needed in March) and reputations as good party places. I suspect you would have a good time in any of them.

My reasons for choosing St Anton would be that I think the Arlberg is the best skiing area in Austria (the most important reason), the area is more than big enough to keep you amused for a week, the apres is legendary, access is easy fly to Zürich and get the train, perfect for a group skiing trip. My view is once you have been everywhere else will seem a little tame.

I think your budget might be a little on the tight side especially in view of the Pound / Euro rate, ski kit hire and pass definitely looks a bit light.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wow! Thank you all for some great responses - I didn't expect so many recommendations. All helpful, even if some are slightly sharp Wink

By the looks of things, £850 does look tight for a 7 day trip, a couple of us could push the boat more but for a group trip it must work for all of us, otherwise where's the fun in that.

Maybe it won't be St Anton this year for us, the search goes on!
ski holidays
I can recommend Andorra / Pas de la casa - going again this year for four nights in March - flights, transfers and s/c accommodation works out to just under £230 a head (group of 12 across 3 apartments) - just need ski hire and lift passes on top. Was skeptical when I organised it for our group last year but it was great - decent amount and variety of pistes (although nothing all that difficult), lots of bars and restaurants (in resort and on the slopes) and cheap prices compared to France.
snow conditions
you wouldnt regret St Anton but nor would you regret val disere or Meribel or even sauze in Italy if they have snow,
snow report
@Sheddy, sorry if this sounds a bit harsh but I think your request for help is quite confusing. I'm not sure if you are looking for advice on where to go, where to get cheap accommodation, the going rate for accommodation in St Anton or advice on the overall budget of the trip? Hence why I think the replies are all over the place.
ski holidays
@Sheddy, Its tongue in cheek, not harsh wink Good luck in your quest, you can stay in St A on a budget but a group like you are may struggle to be together.
latest report
For St Anton plenty of appartments in Pettneu within your budget. Downside is you'd be on ski bus or night bus home as although there are a couple of bars and restaurants in Pettneu it isn't exactly as buzzing as St Anton. Flights into Zurich and rail tickets on oebb not far from your budget. Group trips for £1k per head are doable just about everywhere in Europe with a bit of gumption/compromise but that probably means not raging all night every night dropping 50+ Euros on booze etc
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes, Let me know where those £80 flights are for ZRH mate including baggage I'll be keen on a few of those myself. Also that ski hire and ski pass look a bit light. Agreed Pettneu OK and 50€ pppn is doable for b&b accommodation but it's not ideal for a bunch of young guys really is it, bussing about etc?

I'd think 50+ pppn on booze would be quite easy given the £/€ rate, size of the team and the prices at MW/ KK etc wink dont forget you've still got that 10€ note on the elastic band trick going on......

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 16-10-18 16:16; edited 1 time in total
snow report
marodo2712 wrote:
There are a handful of packages to St Anton for sub £800 through https://www.crystalski.co.uk, departing 23rd March. A lot easier than trying to sort all the bits out yourselves, and they're all catered in some way, one of them (Chalet Tirolerhaus) is catered, which will save you a fortune eating out.

Then add in €289 for the lift pass and £200 for ski hire (yup, it's expensive). That's £1200 before you buy a single litre of beer in the Mooserwirt.
snow conditions
@James the Last, Agreed
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, Let me know where those £80 flights are for ZRH mate including baggage I'll be keen on a few of those myself. Also that ski hire and ski pass look a bit light. Agreed Pettneu OK and 50€ pppn is doable for b&b accommodation but it's not ideal for a bunch of young guys really is it, bussing about etc?

I'd think 50+ pppn on booze would be quite easy given the £/€ rate, size of the team and the prices at MW/ KK etc wink dont forget you've still got that 10€ note on the elastic band trick going on......

You don't need baggage if you're renting kit. A bottle of Drakkar Noir decanted to travel size will keep your grunts and you smelling fresh all week wink

What I was really saying is that you can do £1k per head for a week if you compromise, Which might mean a lot of preloading at your appt or enjoying the Mooser with a few cans of Stiegl from your pack on the hillside before you enter the fray.
latest report
@Dave of the Marmottes, yeah you can for sure, can’t see 10 “young professionals” staying in and playing scrabble and drinking 1.25€ Stiegels though - a hard left or right just by the pylon can lend you in a whole heap of trouble MW/KK if they get scent of the barmaids apron rather than your Hai Karate. 😂
ski holidays
How did you get 10 people to agree to do anything?

That's 'budding dictator' levels of group influence if you ask me - should we be on the watch for a coup in a country near to us in the not so distant future?
ski holidays
Mayrhofen may be closer to your budget. Or if heart set on the Arlberg have a look at Stuben. It's dead at night but really good position in the Arlberg. St Anton 20 minutes in a taxi if hitting the apres
ski holidays
Have a look at https://www.sunweb.co.uk/ski/search?City[0]=225&Region[0]=52279&Country[0]=2&Participants[0][0]=1988-03-20&Participants[0][1]=1988-03-20&sort=Popularity&Allocation=2&nResults=10 they had some bigger apartments when I looked before our group size changed - the prices include a lift pass.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Sheddy,
I’m a noob as far as European skiing goes so take my advice regarding resort choice with a grain of salt -(from my research Saalbach sounds like it would tick boxes though).
I understand everyone has a budget but take it from this forty something year old that you are only young once and group holidays with mates before you have the responsibilities of kids and mortgages are some of the best times of your life - and adult life can come quicker than you realise. If you’ve got to stretch the budget a bit to get a better option that will provide lifelong memories - do it! You can always tighten the belt for a few weeks once you return to everyday life.
Good luck!
snow report
@sbooker, good advice
ski holidays
Without wishing to seem biased in any way wink , Saalbach or Hinterglemm seems a no-brainer for this particular group - should be easy to keep within budget too.
snow report
@tatmanstours, agreed. St Anton is too pricey for your budget.

Mayrhofen would also be worth a look.
ski holidays
Verbier, Switzerland.

Put it on your credit card.

Don't waste your yoot in cr*p resorts, like Mayrhofen.

Ski the best.
ski holidays
@Sheddy, so, how are your requirements any different to 10 young people who re not "professionals" on a similar budget?
snow report
HammondR wrote:
@Sheddy, so, how are your requirements any different to 10 young people who re not "professionals" on a similar budget?

Fewer tattoos, more pretentious artisan G+T combinations
snow report
Or more tattoos, or classier ones? Looks as if where I live in Chamonix might be a bit working class (like me).
snow conditions
I love St Anton but I have never been anywhere else that burns through cash like it. Obviously depends on your drinking habits but as a group of 20 somethings (yes it was a while ago- I haven’t recovered) we used to shoot through 100€+ each per day including lunch and that was in a catered chalet.

Still spent a poo-poo ton in Saalbach too but the hotel was all inclusive so nothing in comparison to St A.
latest report
Sheddy wrote:
An updated budget:
Price PP (£)
Accomodation 400
Flights 80
Transfer 70
Ski Hire 100
Ski Pass 200

Total 850

+ Speanding Money

Is this achievable?

Its possible.but with you need to be flex on flight & transfer..

Staying in middle ofcSt Anton is expensive..out lying towns are cheaper ski busses free but late in evening taxis xexpenses

St Anton Apres Ski is not cheap..

If you more specifics pm me ....im in town righr now
latest report
€7 0.5ltr Bier on the Hill this season in St Anton.

Not inc Tip !!
snow report
Not your preferred resort of choice, but with your budget may I suggest Gudauri, Georgia.

Ticks all the boxes despite the journey to get there.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy