Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Telemarking...talk to me!!!

Poster: A snowHead
@flangesax, Good luck Very Happy Welcome to the floppy side --- have fun Toofy Grin
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Telemarking always looks a bit tragic.

Like you bought a cheap pair of skis and the backend is about to snapoff.

It's why nobody has really bothered with it since World War 2 wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Is it just me or did 'Wolverine' sire a puppy? Shocked
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@limegreen1, great vid Very Happy
FWIW, I tele on Hammerheads, no intention to trade (up?) to NTN........
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mind you, I learnt on leather boots/pin bindings/60mm x 200cm skis so anything else feels super solid Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Whitegold, I don't believe you can actually ski or snowboard anyway.
Most of your posts seem to be generated by a quick copy and paste from askjeeves.
Go live under someone else's bridge!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
KenX wrote:
@limegreen1, great vid Very Happy
FWIW, I tele on Hammerheads, no intention to trade (up?) to NTN........

I havent tried anything but ntn so have no real basis for my assupmtion other than marketing talk vs cables .. however the people i have met who dont ski on ntn are usually interested in the concept but are more than happy with what they have and they were/are far far more competent than I ...
I think its the easier way to transition from or try out on, as its sold on being a stabler (?) way of doing it, and allows for alpine turns, which I know is frowned upon, but it makes the learning process, perhaps less painful, and possibly less alien, so "easier" ?
I will use cables, to see the difference. I think that they will help fine tune techniques ? maybe thats the way to go. I wont be using the wooden skis on my wall with the lauritz leather and spring bindings !
Do racers use the ntn system as a whole or is it a mix ? And yep, a lot of the "newschool" young telemarkers you see in the videos are on 75mm.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I liked the unboxing of the Targas with the whole "essential bits". Do make sure you mark the skis left and right because no matter how obvious you think the duckbill looks it's a different matter when it's covered in snow and your hands are freezing because you've had to tske your gloves off to operate the stupid leash.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Do racers use the ntn system as a whole or is it a mix

All NTN.

Cables less stable, more progressive, less active, way less edge control. You have to work harder to get on the back ski, and then stay in balance. Think of NTN as a "lack of" skill compensator. For the purest experience, three pins and leather is where it's at.

NTN for tele similar change to carving skis for alpine.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Dave of the Marmottes, Thanks mate!... But I'm pretty sure that advice is irrelevant as there is absolutely no way I'll ever fall over anyhow!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Episode 3... up and at 'em...

http://youtube.com/v/w_5dvThqiGc&t=1s
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@flangesax, hi

just watching your YouTube vlog.

Yep- all your reasons are my reasons- slow surfy turns especially off piste, bindings and kit that is cheap, cheerful, breaks and old skool. A challenge, mentally, physically, logistically, And fun.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you are going to mount your own bindings then the main issue is getting the torque high enough and good glue. Especially if you are 'well built'. The thingies in your second video are climbing bars.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@flangesax, I had a brief tele clinic in Dec 2014 on 75mm and cables.
Went home and bought Rottefella Freedom NTN and Scott Voodoo boots. Then skied a further 15 weeks only on tele gear. Went to the AWSA event Ex Telemark Titan 2016 and had to relearn everything - I had picked up rubbish from other telemarkers I met around the mountains and lots of bad habits. It was also quite difficult to self analyse from the Mike and Allen Telemark tips book when I didn't really know what I was trying to feel. Great instruction with Nicko Braxton.
Sold off alpine bindings last winter having used them for 2 days in 50 odd weeks.
So, along with ed123, highly recommend the ExTT in January. Just brilliant instruction and value and lots to chat about with novice to World Cup telemarkers.
snow report
@ed123,
Quote:

Yep- all your reasons are my reasons- slow surfy turns especially off piste, bindings and kit that is cheap, cheerful, breaks and old skool. A challenge, mentally, physically, logistically, And fun.

... but NTN is more fun Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Thanks for all your input and advice chaps!
It seems that the sport is much more popular in North America than in Europe.
Here's my next vid.... be careful... you will never get these eight and a half minutes back!

http://youtube.com/v/urJ1uz2q14k&t=
snow report
@flangesax, Tele was more or less re-invented in the US -- that's why there is more of a following there. Nice boots ! I had a booster strap on my T1s to stiffen them up a bit.
latest report
Eight minutes of boot faff, what a joy. Toofy Grin wink
snow conditions
@Hurtle, ah-hem!... I think you will notice very little faff!!... Plenty of waffle but pretty much faff free!
snow conditions
@flangesax, lucky fit lad. Tightness is down to comfort, just like alpine. Minimal heel lift and watch out for rubbing. As long as your ankle pivot is congruent with the boot pivot you'll have no problems. You can get a 'pinch' over the top of the foot from the bellows and there are some diy uTube videos to fix this with a bit of warmth from a hair dryer and thick socks.

Yes, you will feel like you're wearing stilettos in these modern boots. I'm sure someone will come and explain why there's so much difference between plastic to leather.

Oh, BTW, if you're not doing any 'lunge' exercises . . . IT'S PAST TIME TO START!!! And when you do, vary and control the spread. SERIOUSLY, you need to be doing this now.
latest report
flangesax wrote:
@Hurtle, ah-hem!... I think you will notice very little faff!!... Plenty of waffle but pretty much faff free!
Admittedly it's an unusual kind of faff. For instance I've not witnessed even Scarpa, the Faffmeister, struggling to get his boots out of a cardboard box. But I'm not complaining, it's highly entertaining, for some weird reason. wink
latest report
@Hurtle, dear old @Scarpa is a legendary faffer. It's how he became such a fast skier............members of his group just started to ditch him at the top of lifts etc because it was incessant Toofy Grin Toofy Grin, so he had to learn to catch up Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
@Timberwolf, indeed. Even I can overtake him when he's having a faff and I'm a right slow coach. wink
snow report
No... I'll defend him! It wasn't boot faff... he just couldn't find his car keys.
snow conditions
Oh... EM...Geeee.....
Episode 5 is an absolute corker!

http://youtube.com/v/ACwsEPRob1Y
snow report
Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Any chance of rotating the camera 90 degrees?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Great work. Love the the "no expense …. spent" theme.

Can't be long now until the maiden voyage (snow permitting).
snow conditions

Now a need a pair of skis for these instead of a table top!!
snow conditions
@flangesax, I epoxy in a length of the sticky bit, well a bit approx same diameter as hole. Then trim flush to ski surface when cured. This will maintain the strength and structural integrity of the ski better than filling with ptex. Telemark bindings will put a lot more force into the ski than an alpine binding and pull mounting screws out, as I have found out even when using the softest spring settings.
snow conditions
Well..... I've been busy!!!

Firstly... the most important point, @philwig I aggree. It is horrible isn't it! But, unfortunately the networks of socialness like a portrait video so they can make it square with little boarder thingies... which then makes the vid fit the whole feed... which blah blah blah....

So... Episode 6 and 7 are ready for dropping.... but I won't let you peak too soon... one at a time people, one at a time!

Freeing My Heels - E06 - A mounting of a mole hill

Dammit! My vlog continues into the pitfalls of not really knowing what you are doing! A bit of a disastrous trip to get my telemark bindings mounted !

http://youtube.com/v/03Nb6-pL_wE
snow conditions
colinstone wrote:

Now a need a pair of skis for these instead of a table top!!

Great binding loving mine
latest report
Interesting.

Even on the busiest days on the mountain at either Trysil, or Hemsedal, I might count 10 (max) people on telemark. And that is here in Norway - the home of telemark skiing.

It was really popular here around 15 years ago, but it seemed to have all but died out. Most of my friends are ex-telemark skiiers, and all have moved across to alpine. Why? Easier on the knees, and they can now ski all day without needing to taking a break.

That said, it is a difficult way to ski (especially to learn) - and very physically demanding.

Best of luck!
snow conditions
@Lilledonmarco, telemarking is know to be gentle on the knees but does require well conditioned quads to go all day
snow conditions
@Charliee, 'well conditioned'.... Let's just say I've got the 'well' bit... but maybe 'well developed' is better wink
snow report
am thinking of dusting off my 10 yo tele gear and having a go. Looking forward to your blog
latest report
So... tomorrow will be the day!

No mucking about... straight up the lift of my local lump... to the top... and off I go!!

It may seem a little like a jump into the deep end but I know this mountain like the back of my hand in summer and winter.... so I know how long it takes to walk down if it all goes tits up!!

I also know that I have rather comprehensive helicopter recovery insurance... tested it last August wink

Freeing My Heels - E07 - Unboxing an Early Xmas Pressie!

Once again the demand for a detailed and comprehensive guide to opening a box is here!! A very, very generous member of Telemark Skiing Forum watched my last episode (when I discovered i had an issue with my bindings) and has massively helped out PLUS another member also gave me a huge techy tip!!

http://youtube.com/v/TnoErZ2q5gk
ski holidays
@Lilledonmarco, agree with Charliee - knees don't seem to be an issue but quads took a hammering 2 weeks ago for first couple of days. Last week tremendous fun off piste ripping deep powder at Val d'Isere.
Just heard an amusing quip "Alpine...........still with training heel"!!.
snow conditions
That looks like a good set up, much better binding with a stronger cable. Good luck and have fun.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy