Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Sunday

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone know if Ski Sunday is returning this Winter? Gotta love a bit of ole Ski Sunday with Claire. Cool
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, it will be back again in the new year. No Olympics or Worlds this year, so I guess 6 episodes, of which three will be Kitzbuhel, Wengen and Schladming.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ah, hurrah, can't wait! I did wonder as I couldn't find anything about 2019 online.

Thanks for that Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
All about the music.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Absolutely Laughing

http://youtube.com/v/jOEO_fgG3-I
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Please may we have a little more coverage of the freestyle events this season. While its always nice to see Dave Ryding come a plucky 10th, as a nation we are actually quite good at the other stuff...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Agreed. I feel freestyle is a bit uncivilised for the BBC. I think they'd be happy to make it all about cross-country if they could rolling eyes
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@zoreto, I assume you haven’t watched much of their coverage recently? Wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As played by th BBC Philharmonic:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-sports/42196502
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@SnoodlesMcFlude,

Not in a while Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The theme music is on my ski fast sub folder of my mp3 player along with Bat out of hell classical gas [ the Vanessa Mae version] Foggy mountain breakdown and Black Betty.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Graham Bell confirms details of this winter's Ski Sunday programming on the latest episode of The Ski Podcast (14 mins in...)

http://theskipodcast.com/podcast/episode-24-billy-morgan-chemmy-alcott-v-graham-bell-snow-farming-in-courchevel/
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Free Sports, Ch. 64 on Freeview is showing Alpine Ski, Freestyle Ski and snowboarding.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@TCSC47, sadly not available in some parts of the country...this is like the mysterious "Channel 5" all over again.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I watched the skiing on Free Sport for the first time yesterday and I can't complain about the cost (zilch) or anything, but it was all a bit limited. Better than nothing I suppose is my TV critic review. Maybe they could be persuaded to increase their skiing content if we all badgered them a bit.

Enjoying the ice hockey which has full matches from the NHL as well as European leagues.
snow report
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
@TCSC47, sadly not available in some parts of the country...this is like the mysterious "Channel 5" all over again.
Hopefully that will eventually be sorted out. You can not have too much tele ---- ummm-m can you??

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 4-12-18 10:53; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
My Ski Sunday embarrassing moment. At the Birmingham NEC Ski show some time ago now, Graham Bell was demonstrating a ski exercise machine. It consisted of a a semicircular cradle rail with a little trolley on it that you stood on and swayed a la skiing to exercise the skiing muscles. They are made by a number of manufacturers nowadays and I hope you recognise my description as I have failed to be able to post a picture of one here. (Is it possible to attach pictures?)

I had not seen one of these exercise machines before and I was fascinated by it. I stood there for some time just watching Graham's muscular thighs until I realised what I was doing! His aim was to advertise the equipment by exercising on the machine for the full length of the show -- three days I think! Hard work I should imagine.
snow conditions
@TCSC47, the machine is a skiiers edge

http://www.skiersedge.co.uk/index.html
latest report
Cheers.
ski holidays
TCSC47 wrote:
Enjoying the ice hockey which has full matches from the NHL as well as European leagues.

That's the main reason I'm annoyed we can't get it (got Eurosport anyway for skiing), I'd happily watch more hockey if it was on the telly. As it is I have to make do with staying up on a Saturday night and using a VPN to watch Leafs games (after years of dross it seems like that's finally coming good...although I miss the days of a Randy Carlyle 4th line coming on to do some enforcing).
snow report
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
TCSC47 wrote:

That's the main reason I'm annoyed we can't get it (got Eurosport anyway for skiing), I'd happily watch more hockey if it was on the telly. As it is I have to make do with staying up on a Saturday night and using a VPN to watch Leafs games (after years of dross it seems like that's finally coming good...although I miss the days of a Randy Carlyle 4th line coming on to do some enforcing).

Apologies you have got me reminiscing! I grew up in Montreal in the 50's and I followed The Montreal Canadiens of course. Rocket Richard was my hero and whilst I never attended a game at the Forum, I was allowed to stay up to watch them on TV. At the time they were almost unbeatable! However, when I joined a local Little league I had to play in Toronto Maple Leaf colours and I was quite disappointed by this. However it was much better than playing in New York Ranger (spit!) colours as my friend had to do!

When we came back to England I was gutted at the loss of snow sports and ice hockey. I didn't realise there were facilities available locally to carry on playing ice hockey and so I took up rugby and cricket instead, to my lasting regret. (Loss of ice hockey of course, not the discovery of new sports.) But when I returned to Canada 40 years later I decided to buy an ice hockey shirt and to my surprise I bought the Maple Leaf shirt. It clearly had many more memories for me. The wonderful thing is that the Original Six still have the same design of kit as they did way back in the start. Very much unlike so many other sports who clearly can not seem to understand how important this is for us old guys.
ski holidays
Anybody like "The Jump"? Met a couple at Camping Soelden who'd gone to Kuhtai to watch the filming, got "snowed in" on the carpark and then invited to the VIP party - they had a fab evening.
snow conditions
Scamper wrote:
Anybody like "The Jump"? Met a couple at Camping Soelden who'd gone to Kuhtai to watch the filming, got "snowed in" on the carpark and then invited to the VIP party - they had a fab evening.

Half of me is so envious of the participants and the other half is incredulous at the hammering of health and safety. It is probably the envy that stops me watching!

Now to add to that envy you tell me about your friends who get in on the party!! Come ON!
ski holidays
@TCSC47, We were thinking of a diversion to Kuhtai on this trip but reading the blurb it looks like they'll not bring the show back - too many injuries Sad Such a shame, it was that it was dangerous (just like real life!!!) that made it interesting.
ski holidays
@Scamper, @TCSC47, I've recently joined my local am-dram society I dream of being noticed and invited to star in a TV show just so I can be famous and get on The Jump Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

Such a shame, it was that it was dangerous

I saw Graham Bell talking at the Ski Show this year and the question came from the audience about High Altitude returning, and he said that they had such sketchy oversight on what they were doing during filming during its run that its really surprising that nobody got hurt, and that's oneof the main reasons it will probably never come back. That what they would need to do to make the show like it was just wouldn't get approved for the cost to do it safely.
ski holidays
The cost was definitely a factor. A new BBC2 controller came in and the idea got dropped. IIRC in this episode Graham also lost some of his fingers to frostbite...not sure if the insurance covered that! https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00hzbz1

We mention High Altitude in Episode 24 of The Ski Podcast
http://theskipodcast.com/podcast/episode-24-billy-morgan-chemmy-alcott-v-graham-bell-snow-farming-in-courchevel/
ski holidays
@Richard_Sideways, I assume that was the episode where they were showing what could happen in a white out and Ed Leigh nearly skied off the edge of the mountain? Was definitely sketchy. Does anyone know of copies online? I'd love to watch the series again.

@TCSC47, I only got into hockey about 7 or 8 years ago and tried having a look at whether I could play it (even though I can't skate). My nearest rink isn't the right shape for hockey so the second nearest is over two hours away. Sadly that put the idea to rest, which was a shame as I'd love to have a go at it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
iainm wrote:
Yes, it will be back again in the new year. No Olympics or Worlds this year, so I guess 6 episodes, of which three will be Kitzbuhel, Wengen and Schladming.

World Championships Are Sweden Feb 2019. https://are2019.com/
snow conditions
@SnoodlesMcFlude, I was at my local ice rink a couple of years ago and the session before the public session had guys who clearly were not very skilful so this may have been the level of hockey you could try?

I was also told they have a "past it" team with old guys in, but I haven't followed that up yet. I don't want to injure myself for skiing.
snow report
Bump: The first episode of this season's Ski Sunday is on today on BBC2 at 17:15. I'm sure Dave Ryding's good recent performances will get a mention. Very Happy
latest report
Recorder already set and series linked Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@SnoodlesMcFlude, replying to an oldish question from above - but I have a couple of episodes of High Altitude on my server if you want them?
ski holidays
good first episode , the Audi nines section was awesome Very Happy
snow conditions
The 'nines' section was brilliant - had us all in gasps of genuine amazement.
snow conditions
Graham sponsored by decathlon this year ?
snow report
The “nines” section was just confusing. The format of the competition was never explained.
snow conditions
I miss ski Sunday, but over £100 to watch it just isn't worth it... Shame really, but I try and make up for it by watching other winter sport media. Any good vlog or similar recommendations from snowheads?
snow conditions
I missed it, but got it on BBC player. They don't seem to trail it like they used to. Maybe skiers are able to ferret these things out but I failed!
ski holidays
jonm wrote:
@SnoodlesMcFlude, replying to an oldish question from above - but I have a couple of episodes of High Altitude on my server if you want them?

If it's simple enough then I'd love to see them again as seem to remember really enjoying watching even though it was before I started skiing.
Gordyjh wrote:
The “nines” section was just confusing. The format of the competition was never explained.

I didn't think it was needed, the slopestyle competition was obviously slopestyle and the skicross was obviously a race. With such a short series run, and trying to satisfy a slice of snowsports fans, I think it's understandable that some of the explanation is left on the cutting room floor.

Thought the whole sequence was really good, some stunning footage and their choice of music was on point as usual.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy