Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Need new Snowboard Boots. Shops, fitting, awkward feet etc...

Poster: A snowHead
I have awkward feet. They are wide-ish, flat, low volume and have skinny ankles.

After just spending a week and a half struggling in terribly fitting Salomons I need to do something about it.

I'm near Glasgow but willing to travel for the right thing.

I think I at least need some custom foot beds made and after trying on loads of boots recently am wondering if custom (foam injected??) liners are the way to go.

I'm looking for recommendations please of where you'd go (and where you wouldn't) to get some decent boots and fitting.

Cheers all Smile

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 24-01-19 16:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This would be a good place to start: http://www.alainbaxter.co.uk/boots.html
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@phil., are you looking for ski boots or snowboard boots? The post sounds like the former, but you've posted in the Snowboard forum.
Alain Baxter is a good shout, but only (I think) if you're after ski boots.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yep it is posted in the right place, I'm after snowboard boots.

I do want to try and find a fitting service more like ski boots though and I'm not sure if it really exists.

Alain Baxter apparently does do snowboard boots but not sure if it sells any or just works on what you take him. I will give him a call.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I had a similar problem with my Burton Imperial boots, just didn’t fit right and ended up last year in a lot of pain.

Similar to you couldn’t find anywhere that did the kind of customisation I might need. Went to TSA and tried on 12 different pairs. Ended up having to go for the very top end boots from ThirtyTwo (TM3 Grenier) - these have liners which are made from injection moulded material. Once heated up and moulded - they will never change and are far more likely to get a good fit to your feet, whereas conventional boot liners are a bit hit and miss. An added benefit of these is they come with an assortment of arch fitments that you can switch out to get the most comfortable fit.

My advice, is travel to a stockist that has a good selection and try on as many as possible. Is expensive - but if you go the higher end of ranges, the boots tend to have more tech in the fitting / moulding.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@phil., if you're based near Glasgow, the two obvious options would be Ellis Brigham at Braehead and Freeze Pro Shop at South Gyle on the edge of Edinburgh.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I might give Ellis Brigham at Braehead a call (Scott is generally good with basic fitting, padding etc). I struggle also with skinny narrow mid to rear feet, ended up with getting loads of foam stuck on the liners (DIY following ski boot similar additions) to hold the ankle and other areas, job done Very Happy
Would look into some decent custom insoles also; maybe...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
as i recall 32 and dc brand boots are a pretty wide fit and salomon make some of their snowboard boots in a specific wide fit

custom footbeds will make a world of difference.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks all, I'm planning to go TSA @Braehead on Monday. I tried Freeze Pro and they were OK but didn't find anything that I thought was much better than my current boots unfortunately.

I want to try and get some decent insoles made, I did used to have some for my ski boots - are TSA any good at making them??

32 have probably been the closest to fitting well, the heel is good in them, and I currently have Salomons but have been put off them due to how much the liners have packed out.

@Drew thanks for the TM3 recommendation, I'll try and find some to try on. Expense (within reason) isn't an issue, I just want this sorted!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oh and haven't tried any DCs yet so fingers crossed.... Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@phil., other thought whilst you're up Braehead (and definitely cheaper option, not necessarily worse quality) - pop into Decathlon and see what they have. I have some of their basic boots and they've lasted well and, with some DIY foaming (OK and 2 pairs of technical ski socks and a bit of sticky tape on the heels where I am prone to blisters), are very comfortable indeed; just walked up and down a decent snowy fjell in them. Also warm even at -27!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just a point to look out for Salomon's are a narrower boot compared to others and 32s are a wider fitting boot IME. I had a 'mare last winter with boots and ended up buying the same boots only half a size bigger. Did the trick for the outside lead foot pain I was getting. I did get jbars as they'll pack out some more on the next trip. Good luck
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Have you considered hunting out asian fit boots? They are a wider fit in the forefoot.

Salomon run small. Try a size bigger, possibly 2.
If you get heal lift then the st8jkt tech does work.

You could try women boots as well.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Try the Vans Implant Pro. Ive got wide forefoot (with minor bunions on both inside and outside of foot), I've done 55 days in them this season and had no problems or pain after the initial wear in period. If they don't work DC or 32 is your best bet.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Try hitting up wiredsport on snowboarding forum. Have a look on there for a boot fitting thread. You will start to see a common theme in that most people are in the wrong sized boots.
snow report
@phil - I've got relatively small (but wide) feet and skinny ankles and spent ages trying on various brands at Boardwise in Cannock: https://www.boardwise.co.uk/

In the end, I settled on Adidas ZX500 which seemed the best fit of various options with Salomon too tight throughout, Burton generally too wide in the ankle.

Reviews weren't bad for a low level boot and I was at least prepared for wishing they had better grip for walking, but I wish I'd gone further up their range for the pricier Response or Samba as I've started to have a problem with pain across the front of my lead ankle which reviews from other users (rather than testers) have also found.

Wherever you end up, it might be worth trying an Adidas boot if possible because it sounds like the shape might suit your feet.
snow report
Whilst Boardwise's range of Adidas snowboard boots is pretty impressive, I realise they're not exactly local to you.

However, Absolute Snow's excellent returns policy and all-round customer service mean it might still be worth checking them out too, even though they're even further away.

Can't post direct link to the range because the = in the address messes up the hyperlink.
snow conditions
I got a custom moulded sidas ski footbed put in my snowboard boots and that was the end of foot pains for me. Done at Ellis Brigham in Liverpool

The problem usually isn't the boot dimensions (too big or small shows up quickly in the shop) , it's how your foot sits in the boot and spreads when you put weight on it that usually causes the problem.

A good footbed and binding angle adjustment will solve a lot of problems. Another common problem is over tightening the boot and binding.

You are right to try a number of brands out.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy