Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Canada!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I want to work a winter season in Canada 2020/2021 - when should I apply for my working holiday VISA?

Thought a quick google would answer this alas, no straight answer and every website claiming to offer advice on this is incredibly convoluted!

What I can gather is this:

I can apply when I am 30, but not 31. (I am 30 next April 2019)

It looks like you apply in November for the following year.....but then another website said July.......and it wasn’t clear what they meant by the following year.

Once you have been accepted for a VISA you have 12 months to use it, or if you have to take a medical as part of the VISA application, then it’s the expiry on your medical or whichever date is sooner.

One you enter Canada, and activate your Working Visa, you can stay for up to 24 months. However, you could already be in Canda on a tourist visa (up to 6 months, not allowed to work) and apply for working VISA whilst already in the country.

Also, anyone know what the chances are of getting a job as a dentist in a Canadian ski town?! (The UK Qualification is recognised in Canada, but not US)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you are a qualified dentist you may qualify for a regular work permit. If so I would go for that over the working holiday visa. If dentists are in demand you may even be able to get your application fast-tracked.

Problem with whv is that nothings certain about it. It's oversubscribed so you might not even get offered a place. You will go into a pool in November when it opens. They then select people throughout the year, so you are just waiting around in hope that you will get pulled out in the next pool.

The medical is just for people deemed high risk, most don't need it. I think if you mention your a dentist and looking to work with patients you might need it, due to risk of contamination although I'm just guessing.

You have to be picked out and offered a visa before your 31st birthday. Once you are offered it you have a set amount of time to enter. As long as you enter before the cut off date your age no longer matters.

Also, anyone know what the chances are of getting a job as a dentist in a Canadian ski town

Quote:

Also, anyone know what the chances are of getting a job as a dentist in a Canadian ski town

I would guess low. Most highly paid jobs like that in ski resorts are snapped up quickly and then people tend to be there for life. Also, whv is always a bit of a disadvantage as they know you are just there temporarily and probably don't want to then go through appointing another person 6 months down the line.

The official website - http://www.cic.gc.ca is actually pretty detailed and answers most questions. Its not the most straightforward though so sometimes requires a bit of work to get the info, but it is there.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not worth the grief.

Just get a £20k loan (or whatevs) and hangout for 6 months.

Being a dentist, getting a loan, and finding a job on return to UK, should be easy.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@borntoski, plenty of real towns nr ski hills in british columbia , i.e vancouver (whistler 2hrs) north vancouver (whistler 90min )squamish (whistler 45min ) pemberton (whistler 35min ) revelstoke ( ski village ten min ) im sure that dentists would be in demand in real towns
good luck
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd think places that aren't really thought of as ski towns like Kelowna, Vernon and Kamloops may be a better bet for locum type dentist work.

Places like Revy, Rossland/Trail aren't really big enough.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Whitegold wrote:
Not worth the grief.

Being a dentist, getting a loan, and finding a job on return to UK, should be easy.

Alas, not me that's the dentist, it's the other half
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
borntoski wrote:
Whitegold wrote:
Not worth the grief.

Alas, not me that's the dentist, it's the other half

That's even better! You just get to ski? snowHead
You might want to check out the portability of medical qualifications to Canada
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There is probably dentist work in Vancouver but it's too far to travel from there to whistler every weekend imo. Plus hotel costs every Saturday night are going to add up. If your doing a ski season you might as well do it right and stay close to resort.

Quote:

Just get a £20k loan (or whatevs) and hangout for 6 months

Terrible idea getting into debt to ski. However the concept of not working is worth considering. would save a lot of hassle regarding visas, and maximise ski time. Of course you need money up front, but it's more affordable than you might think
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy