Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Transfer: Friedrichshafen - St Anton

Poster: A snowHead
Any recommendations for a family of 4, transfer from Friedrichshafen - St Anton over Christmas period
Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@notnats, Train?

or https://arlbergexpress.com/en/services/taxi-transfer-shuttle-service 320€ each way......gulp!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Try this mob ? https://www.alpinbus.com/transfer/friedrichshafen-airport-fdh/st-anton-am-arlberg

Never used them though.
Car hire could work out better. Dead easy drive assuming weather ok
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Did this exact drive a couple of xmas ago. The drive was mostly motorway/double carriageway and took around 1 1/2 hours. I remember it being a pretty comfortable journey.

The week's car rental was around $200 (from memory) and it came with winter tyres.

If you really don't want to drive, then you might be better off flying to Innsbruck or Zurich. The savings on the transfer costs and easier train journey might make up for the flight cost differential.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I usually hire a car from Sixt, although in the past I've also used minibus transfers arranged by my hotel.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There is a train station right beside Friedrichshaven airport and ST Anton station is little more than a few minutes walk to the centre. You will have to make a change though I think.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Old Man Of Lech, That's what i'd do.....change in Bregenz I think

www.oebb.at
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Do you need a Car in St Anton its not necessary & you could get snowed in...

Train is easy & reliable , station is right outside the Airport.

Change trains in Lindau..
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
train takes 2.20 - 3.52 hours, with 3-5 changes....
I'm surprised to see Friedrichshafen is still 'in the market'...
Transavia quitted some years ago.

Not a very good option.
With rentacar on a high season saturday you risk getting trafficjammed
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Also with car hire at Friedrichshafen, if you do book a car, and if the flight is out of normal hours(09.00-17.00) there is no guarantee the car rental shop will be open.

This happened to me one year and much to my horror only made the discovery the day before the flight so was able to make alternative arrangements.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The train is a bit tricky. You have to go one stop into Friedrichshafen itself then change onto a train to Lindau. There are a few direct trains from Lindau to St. Anton but mostly you have to change in Bregenz and again in Feldkirch. Perfectly possible to do but maybe not so good with bags and kids in tow.

On peak Saturdays the drive can also be a bit of a pain. The Pfaendertunnel which bypasses Bregenz is notorious for traffic jams on peak skiing weekends, though maybe less now the second bore is open. Once past that should not be so bad unless the weather is not so good in the Arlberg area.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@munich_irish, Pfander is not so bad now its fully open but the drive from Bregenz up to St Anton can take 2-3 hours with the narrowing section 2 lanes into 1 being the main problem near Bludenz, huge tail-backs at weekends..... many a delay there in recent years peak season Saturday mornings 9-11am, otherwise OK. We used to stay in Warth for our 2 weeker in January but have now opted for Lech because of the delays dropping down into Dornbirn (huge queues going up Bregenzerwald with knock on to traffic going down also) and also up to St Anton via Bregenz, mostly Swiss (day trippers) and Cloggies (hitting the Alps on mass as they do).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I flew to Friedrichshafen with Ryanair many years ago.

I was going to catch a train, but there was a bus waiting in the car park taking people to StAnton & Lech.
Just went and saw the driver and paid the fare.

St Anton tourist office must know if there is a bus.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Markymark29, is suppose Cloggies is better than Brexies? Mr. Green
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Markymark29, perhaps the big queue at the Pfaender tunnel limited the number of cars going further up the valley, solving one traffic jam just creates others elsewhere. I have not used that route for a good number of years because of a couple of times being stuck for far too long at the tunnel. I can see the small road up to Warth being very queue prone, especially as there as some other smaller resorts along the road. I have avoided Warth simply because access seems so difficult, the route from Munich via Garmisch and then Reutte and a long drive up the Lechtal is a serious trek, even in good weather and quiet traffic. Its a pretty remote corner of the alps.
snow report
@munich_irish, Well worth considering the journey up to Warth for yourself i'd suggest if you go late evening and stay over, or super early for ski day. I've driven both routes in and they arent easy but the prize is a big one in big snow conditions! We now tend to stay in Lech and hop over. Great hiking in summer also.
ski holidays
I would advise Anyone who has seen a cheap flights to Friedrikhafen or Memingen to work out the huge additional costs & time of the transfer..plus shitty times..

It will almost likely work out way more than a scheduled service Innsbruck or Zurich inc train!
latest report
@notnats, where are you flying into friedrichshaven from?
ski holidays
From Gatwick
We got some cheap flights when they first came out
snow report
@Markymark29, 😎 which airline - never been able to find flights when looking to travel, apologies for going mildly off post topic.
snow conditions
Last post should have been @notnats,
snow conditions
Pretty sure it’s easyjet
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy