Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

buying second hand skis

Poster: A snowHead
hi. first post.

I'm not new to skiing but i am new to owning gear.

i just blew my budget on some salamon xpro boots and need to get some skis. is buying second hand ok?. i know a guy that's is selling a some kastle rx skis that are the correct size for me.
however, I've never heard of Kastle. are they ok?
will my new boots fit or will i need new bindings?

any help would be appreciated
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How do you know they are the correct size for you ?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've always used 190's give or take a cm
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can you post a picture and I'm sure we can tell you what kind of ski they are.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi @dave_3, welcome to snowheads.

Buying second hand is ok if you know what you’re looking for, history, age, condition etc. I’ve bought second hand and new and both have worked out well for me.

Kastle is a premium brand but I’d look at some reviews of that model to see if they suit your requirements.

It would be worth getting along to some of the ski test events so you can try out different models to see what suits. I’m assuming if you’re not new to Skiing though you’ve probably got a pretty good idea.

I toyed with the idea of second hand kastles but after reading reviews thought they wouldn’t suit me. But that’s me.

With the skis fitting your boots it depends if they’re on a rail system. If they are you can slide the binding to the correct position and it’ll be ok. BUT and this is a big BUT you shouldn’t do that. If you buy the skis take them to a proper ski tech and get them to service, adjust and set the bindings. You probably know what you need to do but if I’m travelling at high speeds I want a tech to make sure they’re right.

I’ll edge and wax friends skis but I refuse to touch the bindings.

Good luck in your buying it’s worth it.

Ps give us some of your stats such as height, weight, skill level, type of Skiing etc and people could give you better advise on suitability

Cheers
Djf
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
many thanks for you help guys.

I'm 6ft 3 15 stone.

I've been skiing 20 years and always made do with rental gear. i had a lesson in France this year and the instructor said my gear was holding me back. he said I'm at the upper end of intermediate and quite aggressive....... what ever that means Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
i asked him for photos but he said he can't get to them at the moment. he sent me a link to eBay. he said his where the same but different colour and bindings

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F153147787030
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You'd need to know the age of bindings and skis to form more of an opinion and to help advise you.

Kastle is a very good make, nothing at all wrong with them as a manufacturer so should be of little concern on that count.

Their range varies hugely in focus so you will have to decide if that model fits your skiing intentions. I bought a pair of new old stock last year but of a different model from RX and they are just sublime, some of the best skis I've ever owned.

Their FX series get rave reviews from owners on here also.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@dave_3, Find out exactly what model they are.

The ones in the link are not really suitable for an intermediate skier.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Depends what you want them for but I wouldn't buy those. For me I couldn't tell the age, the binding I'm not sure are adjustable and you might not get a tech to touch those if they are old. They're a 21m turn radius too which would be too much for me on my normal skiing.

I buy and transport my skis because I love having my own gear and I'm happy to pay the carriage because I know they will be in amazing condition, have perfect edges, be waxed nicely and be great skis. However, there are a lot of arguments for hiring and tbh I wouldn't buy those I'd hire instead.

I don't think those are recreational skis at all. Could be wrong but my advise would be pass (and that's without knowing the asking price)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kastle make fantastic skis that have a reputation for lasting longer than most. i.e. a second hand pair may still be ok wink

The RX12's (if that's what you've been offered) are a full on piste ski. They used to be a long turn orientated ski but more recently they have offered two versions - one for short and one for long - so it depends on the age. The R in RX stands for Race so they're not for timid skiers but from what you've said that won't be an issue.

What might be an issue is that the RX series in particular is a more technical skiers' ski so you may not be good enough to appreciate them. Can you carve? If you can, they'll be great. If you can't, they may be the tool to let you access those carving skills. Or they might bite you on the ass and you hate them.

Either way, Kastles are almost always better than the person stood on them so if you're not happy, it's you, not them Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rjs wrote:
The ones in the link are not really suitable for an intermediate skier.
+1,000

Having now seen the link after writing my previous post, not even remotely suitable.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@dave_3, if you can find some Kastle MX83's in a 183cm length, they will transform your skiing.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Raceplate, I think the ones in the picture were from just before the "new" Kastle started up. A trainee of mine rented a pair once and Ski Warehouse sold them in the UK, also know someone who passed Eurotest on a pair. They were marked "made in Italy" so I guessed that they were really VIST/Blossom skis with Kastle topsheets. Have only seen them in red though so if the ones for sale are a different colour then they could be anything.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Def get along to the ski test if you can or next time you hire see if you have an arrangement where you can try different skis. Also, if you've hired before and enjoyed a pair in particular I'd seek out a second hand pair of those. I suspect those GS skis will be very different beasts to anything you've hired.

I'm sure more learned people will give you some recommendations on skis, I have blizzard brahma's, blizzard latigos (will sell this year as too close to Brahma's) and head magnums. Love all of them but if you can find some Brahma's they're fab (but rare second hand).

As a comparison; one of the friends that I ski with matches your stats he's 6ft 4", 15st (+1/0.5 Toofy Grin ), skied for 10 years and probably same level too and he loved 177cm magnums this year, and 165 head speeds last year so its definitely different strokes for different folks!

Good luck hunting.
ski holidays
Raceplate wrote:
@dave_3, if you can find some Kastle MX83's in a 183cm length, they will transform your skiing.

These have great reviews, I was on the look out for a decent pair second hand for ages although given up now
ski holidays
@rjs, yep, fair point. I'd missed the bit about the ones for sale being a different colour. I'd expect them to be RX12's in white which seem to come up more often than most on sale forums. I suspect the GS profile makes them too much of a one trick pony for most recreational skiers.
snow report
@dave_3, how often do you go skiing and how do you get there?

If you fly and go no more than twice a year you would struggle to justify it financially.

Hiring skis shouldn't hold you back. Just pay a bit more and get better skis. Also take a bit of interest in what you are hiring so that you get something suitable. Buying some second hand skis with limited knowledge won't help IMO. And then there is the question of servicing. If you get a rental ski from a decent shop it will be serviced and ready to go each time with no worry or hassle on your part.

Disclaimer: I do own my own skis but I service them myself and we drive over.
snow report
djf wrote:
Raceplate wrote:

These have great reviews, I was on the look out for a decent pair second hand for ages although given up now

You can buy mine if you like. Or maybe not... Laughing

Finest daily driver ski I've ever been on by a country mile. No idea what I'll replace them with when they finally die. Sad
snow conditions
Check out a shop called slide and Glide. I've just bought some Kastle skis last season. A Great deal lots of choice
https://www.glideslide.co.uk/16151/products/kastle-fx95-hp-mens-all-mountain-skis-with-k13-attack-bindings.aspx
latest report
thanks for all the help. i didn't expect such an epic response.

it seems like a mine field out there for buying second hand skis unless you know what you're looking for.

i just wanted an all round ski as one minute I'm off piste and next I'm on some rails. i think I'll take the advice and stick with the hire set. i have my own boots now so at least I'll be comfortable
snow report
It will give you an indicator on cost comparison. Allso checkout skibay
https://www.facebook.com/groups/229565383842516/permalink/1391776354288074/?sale_post_id=1391776354288074
There's loads on here. Thought longer length recreational skis are harder to come by. Lots of race skis thought.
snow conditions
dave_3 wrote:

i just wanted an all round ski as one minute I'm off piste and next I'm on some rails.

This thread might make interesting reading then...
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2993259
latest report
I'd also recommend going to a ski test. I couldn't believe skis, that at 1st glance look the same are totally different, don't ski the same or feel the same. Also how a ski is 'set up 'will alter it's performance, especially with second hand, you need to know the mounting position and the boot size. If your boot size is different from the previous owner, or your style is less traditional, you may need to re drill and that alters the mounting point . Snowhead do octobertest at indoor snow domes. I went to my 1st test run by Ellis Brigham at Tamworth. The best way is in resort. But be warned. It can be Addictive. YouTube is fully loaded with ski reviews. So if you put in the make and model of ski your interested in, it's virtual guaranteed there's a video up. They bring out new skis every year, some just change the top sheet, so you can get great deals on end of season skis. Ultimately Have Fun finding out, and remember Skis aren't like Puppy's There not for life or just bought at Christmas. There disposable, changeable and you can own as many as you want, just hide them from the wife Very Happy
latest report
Tubaski wrote:
dave_3 wrote:

i just wanted an all round ski as one minute I'm off piste and next I'm on some rails.

that's spooky. i was having a group freestyle lesson last night and the instructor recommended k2 shreditors. he said the are good for all skiing and the odd trip to the snow park.

many thanks
snow conditions
Big lad, long term skier. Probably something 190ish long 90mm wide - I'd start with a Blizzard Brahma in its longest length or maybe a Noredica Enforcer 93 and work from there.
ski holidays
@dave_3, freestyle session ? We’re you at Hemel ? If so s&r have demo skis you can try too
snow report
just wanted to say thanks for the info fellas.

update. a friend of a friends, dogs cousins sisters mate NehNeh is letting me demo a set of k2 pinnacle 95's. he's in no rush to sell so he said i can use them for a few sessions to see how i get on. he wants £250 for them (18 months old)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That’s good.

Have you taken a look at these:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=138778

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=138781

We are going for the first time this year. Will be very interesting (I hope Happy) my skis hubby bought for me for £99 from Decathlon as a mother’s day present. I have been quite happy with them, but this will be a great chance to compare and contrast.
latest report
dave_3 wrote:
Tubaski wrote:
dave_3 wrote:

that's spooky. i was having a group freestyle lesson last night and the instructor recommended k2 shreditors. he said the are good for all skiing and the odd trip to the snow park.

many thanks

They're a decent ski but mine are now superfluous because I eventually picked up a set of Armada ARV 106s second hand that have basically become my one ski quiver (although not the best on hard pack). Having tried them a couple times at the snowheads ski tests I'd really fallen in love with how playful and bendy the ARV is, it just gives me a smile when I ski. The Shreditor that I got was still a decent ski but I'm not a park skier (I would like to be but lack the talent and commitment), so could be doing it a disservice.
snow conditions
There is a hidden 'gotcha' with buying older skis. Ski technicians are often not allowed to work on skis with older bindings. I am more familiar with the US regs where a list of approved bindings is published every year. They literally will not touch a ski with a non approved binding so getting a pro wax is impossible.

In the past in Europe it was a ten year old rule but I am not sure if that still applies.

I am about the same size as you and ski on 200cm Atomic Beta Carve 10 20s which are early carvers. I have tried skis from the current ranges but this old dog is slow to learn new stuff and prefer my old school long iron.
latest report
@TQA,

While certainly the case in North America, and apparently in the Uk, in at least one very high level shop in France I have questioned, they’ll fit any bindings to your skis that you ask them to. You’ll have to sign a responibility waiver and they’ll look at you weirdly, but they’ll do it.

The indemnification thing was not enforced in France, at least not up till the end of last season. Shop in question are Marker and Salomon dealers.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy