Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2018/19 (Useful Links Page 1)

Poster: A snowHead
This morning Snoworks posted a little video from Le lac and said that they hoped to be skiing up on the 'Motte later.

Looks like they were in luck although not sure how much opened up. Spotted a couple of skier groups on the webcam and it looks like they may have been skiing just off the side of the upper piste.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The webcam looks amazing. I appreciate it will melt at the Le Lac level if the forecasts are to be believed, but the change from yesterday to lunchtime is amazing!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Le Lac cam is looking stunning! I like the new #TIGNES sign by the lake with VC in the background, is that new? Will make for a lovely pic (obviously they hope so).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@HoneyBunny, #TIGNES sign was installed last year but spent most of the winter almost buried wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
https://www.facebook.com/snoworks/videos/961361974060986/ a good time was had by all! Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@GeorgeVII, Not all!

Have to say that vid seemed to be near perfect powder - very unusual!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wow! Have a shufty at this mornings webcams - looks stunning, sadly it doesn't show the wind so the uplift may have to be manual! The resort reports another 25cm in the village and 40cm on high, there has even been a slip on the Lavachet Wall.

It is going to warm up a bit next week so I would expect most of the snow in the village to get v slushy/disappear but there will be more showers next week, how many depends on which forecasting system you trust.

snowHead snowHead snowHead

Have to say it looks like the local council was a little behind the forecast in preparing the villages.

Expect early deals from the TOs will start disappearing/rising in price!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bellvarde is looking nicely covered.

https://www.valdisere.com/webcam/bellevarde/

Let's hope it's a good snow base for the season.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@chocksaway, Looks like someone has bagged bragging rights to the first turns on Trolles.

Got to say it does look good on the 'Lac cam. Hopefully a good omen for anyone lucky enough to be out there for the season wink .
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi,

I’m thinking of driving to Tignes from Morzine this weekend. I’m planning on doing a bit of touring. Ideally I would park my camper in Tignes 2100 and skin from there. Is there anyone currently in Tignes who can confirm or deny whether that is possible, or is the base too poor at that altitude?
I’m not really interested in just skiing around the glacier for skiings sake.

Many thanks.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 1-11-18 16:21; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pretty sure this is an earlier fall than last season. Memory poor. FL for this week is high but not horrendously so. Got all my kit out today. The stimulus to do that was provided by the cams.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@zzz, Not there, but the answer is probably. I have done early season touring, going up is fine as you can dodge the rocks that are not yet covered. Coming down may be trickier as a lot of the culverts will not be full yet. You could try messaging Snoworks or http://www.tignesoffpiste.com/ and see if they have a view.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mark1863 wrote:
Pretty sure this is an earlier fall than last season. Memory poor. FL for this week is high but not horrendously so. Got all my kit out today. The stimulus to do that was provided by the cams.

Indeed it is. The archive cams show that the snow started 'next week' last year. Let's hope we get something similar to last year... I was off piste in great powder, with blue skies, on the opening weekend.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bar shaker wrote:
Mark1863 wrote:

Indeed it is. The archive cams show that the snow started 'next week' last year. Let's hope we get something similar to last year... I was off piste in great powder, with blue skies, on the opening weekend.

Travelling out 24/11 - first runs Sun 25/11. Last year was the best season I have ever had. Anything remotely like it will be dandy! Cover down to VC and Lac is hopefully a realistic prospect. Out for 3 weeks for first trip. If you get great snow that first week you have the added bonus that it does not get tracked-out in the first hour as there are so few people about
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
All a bit windy today (according to the updated Tignes App (available at all good on line stores!)) so only the restaurant is open up the glacier. Lots of slush in the villages and lots of work going on in Le Lac dismantling the sports pitch nets etc - expect a proliferation of tyres this afternoon to protect the surfaces. The snow is now looking reasonable down to 2400m.

The good news is the forecast remains unsettled, the Alps are plonked underneath the Jetstream for the next fortnight so expect lots of showery weather with the snow line slowly dropping from around 1900m this week to 1600 next week. So still a bit of green/white/green/white in the villages but on current forecasts its looking good for the grand opening on the 24th. snowHead snowHead
snow report
chocksaway wrote:
...but on current forecasts its looking good for the grand opening on the 24th. snowHead snowHead

Music to my ears as I arrive on 25th!
Great news, thanks!! snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
Looking pretty miserable over there today. Looks as though rain has turned to snow, at resort level, as the light has faded. No huge dump being predicted but not looking bad at all with less than 3 weeks to go.
latest report
15 cms reported on the 'Motte overnight. Bright and clear this morning. Quite a queue for the lifts up there.
snow conditions
Looking Grand!

The chairs on Lanches have appeared for a bit of testing this morning, a good sign! Quite a few tourers out on the skins. Looks like it will be a bit crowded on the Rosolin until the cable car opens later.
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:
Looking Grand!

The chairs on Lanches have appeared for a bit of testing this morning, a good sign! Quite a few tourers out on the skins. Looks like it will be a bit crowded on the Rosolin until the cable car opens later.

My words exactly! Here am I sat in my study and it is absolutely persisting outside. Soon!!
ski holidays
Indeed, Rosolin mobbed again this morning, then broke down for 20 mins. We switched to cable car and both it and the run from the top were super quiet and excellent snow. One of the group skied down (closed) Double M at the end of the afternoon and reported: "fine, except for the last 200 metres, which were mud; skis survived".
ski holidays
Always feels to me like the ski season starts when people ski down Double M Very Happy
latest report
Looking at the Toviere webcam at 1450 It looks like a couple of hardy souls are just peeling the skins off their skis.

More importantly.... anyone else noticed that there appears to be a Loo just at the end of the Panorama decking area. I stopped going in the restaurant there years ago when they installed a turnstile at the toilet entrance. Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 8-11-18 15:20; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Looks like the new Cocorico is nearly finished! I do hope I get to see it/party in it this season...
snow conditions
@HoneyBunny, They've (Cocorico) been recruiting for staff so I reckon you'll get your wish.
snow report
@GeorgeVII, aye it opened during last season, very swish and a small indoor picnic area. Stairs are a bit steep for a gentleman of a certain age mind wink
latest report
Hey guys, any recommendations for good ski shops in Tignes (buy not rent), I'm probably going to be heading out for the PSB and am looking to get a new pair of skis, have a few in mind but I wanted to compare prices in UK vs in resort before deciding where and when to get them snowHead
snow report
@chocksaway, Usual Black Run to the loos?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bennisboy, Generally buying in the shops in Tignes will be pricy especially early in the season. Most of us expats use ekosport or glissshop on line. Ekosport also have a shop at Albertville if you are driving out (order and collect). Tignes Spirit is run by brits so bartering may be easier!!
latest report
Looking at the webcam Vanoise and Leisse lifts were not running. Is that normal for this time of year? Both are shown with the purple "summer ski" background.
snow report
@thelem, Those lifts don't normally run at this time of year.
snow conditions
Look as if the weather is set for mild for the next 10 days or so. Not much more snow due before the opening weekend. Ski area may be limited unless there is a last minute storm.
snow report
LeLac looking very green again! Early days....be worried if there is green showing in Feb!
snow report
At least the car parking online booking is now open, that was the last thing on my todo list for New Year.

https://en.tignes.net/holidays/booking/online-car-parks
ski holidays
@thelem, The Tignes app reports Vanoise will open tomorrow. Leisses will need more snow as it is southish facing and takes a hammering from the summer sun. It also stops people crevasse hopping from the top of the GM direct to the bottom of Leisses chair.
snow report
Spy in place reports that truck loads of snow being carted through the village to put at the bottom of Double M. Once that's open the lift tickets go up!
ski holidays
^^^Where's this snow coming from then chocksaway Puzzled
snow conditions
@mountainaddict, Not sure! Shame about the wind this morning - big queues on Rosolin. Some nice piste bashing done on the top of the Tov.
snow report
In view of the thaw and high freezing level, we have held off with our potential November (glacier-only) trip and have just booked £50 return easyjet flights (9th-14th December; 5 days on the slopes) instead. Fingers crossed that we'll have a good chunk of Espace Killy to go at by then - especially as I'll be there on my birthday... Smile
snow conditions
nelly0168 wrote:
bar shaker wrote:

It took me a while to get my head around what they were doing in Brev, as this did not compute as a possible outcome. It really is total madness and considering the infrastructure was in place with the old gondola, why didn't the new one go to the mid station that the Boisses goes to?

It seems badly thought out - when we are there, on a sunny morning we quite often jump on Chaudannes for a quick zoom into Brev, stop for a beer and back up nice and quick to do, whatever.

Might make us think twice.

There must be method to this madness, cant just be us that sees that outcome and calls it as bonkers?

was the sache gondola prone to closure in winds perhaps. can't see any other reason for this?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy