Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2018 - 2019 (Useful links are added to the first post)

Poster: A snowHead
@Spin Doctor, I don't don't really see it as two sides. To me it's one big ski area and I love it all.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Alastair wrote:
@ecureuil, there seems to be some confusion how many lifts will have such a queue. The Peisey Vallandry website, in French, says:

Quote:
Mais l’avantage qui fait la différence cet hiver, c’est l’accès à des files prioritaires sur les remontées mécaniques structurantes du domaine des Arcs/Peisey-Vallandry. N’attendez plus aux remontées mécaniques et profitez à 200% de vos vacances.

The English version says:

Quote:
This winter, don’t miss the priority access at all the main ski lifts, so don’t waste your time at the lift and enjoy your holiday at 200%.

This is the bit that got me thinking if it'd be worth paying extra as I am skiing over New Year.....but cannot find anything definite about whether it's one lift per "side" or "all" the main lifts!!

Can anyone else whose skied over New Year comment on how bad the Qs were? I'm more used to skiing quiet resorts where I can ski/on off lifts and a 5 min queue was considered very long!!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

I'm more used to skiing quiet resorts where I can ski/on off lifts and a 5 min queue was considered very long!!

With some exception due to weather or broken lifts 5 mins in Les Arcs is indeed very long most of the time. The last I was there, Christmas and Easter last year, we never waited that long for any lift. However, New Year is perhaps the busiest week in the year and as a consequence sometimes there are some big queues at some lifts. Most of us know which lifts to avoid (eg, the telepherique, transarc, vagere and arcabule). They are bad for Les Arcs, but compared to places like St Anton not too bad.
Incidently I have never heard of or actually seen queue jumping passes until this discussion surfaced. Now looking at the web site my reading is that it was one priority queue on each side ie one in La Plagne (I hope it is Arpette) and one in Les Arcs. The free run down the Rodeo luge track appears a more attractive bonus and I have never noticed that before either.

The big debate in my mind at the moment is should I fork out €670.50 for a season pass? This is equivilant to two 9 day trips. Decision, decisons. Apart from Snowcrazy, what are other people doing? Actually the fact that summer use is included in the pass may tip it its favour.

@Layne, I see Paradiski as two seperate resorts with a lift between them. Whereas I see Val d'Isere and the 3 vallies as single resorts with different accommodation bases.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Spin Doctor, You have modest ambitions. You can get to Champagny from 1800 very easily for an early lunch (if the resaurants are open that early). The Challenge my son keeps posing for me is to do the Bellecotte, Champagney, Montelbart, the Auigulle Rouge, Villaroger and Les Grange in one day. Suggestion for the order any route to be taken welcome. If I can get the fastest possible times for each potential leg eg Montelbart to Les Grange I will enter it into some code I have to solve the travelling salesman problem in Matlab and see where I get to (in theory and, hopefully, later in practice)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
johnE wrote:
...what are other people doing?.
I'll get a season pass for this winter, but probably Les Arcs-only.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
johnE wrote:

The big debate in my mind at the moment is should I fork out €670.50 for a season pass? This is equivilant to two 9 day trips. Decision, decisons. Apart from Snowcrazy, what are other people doing? Actually the fact that summer use is included in the pass may tip it its favour.

Well surely that is wholly dependent on whether you are doing in excess of two 9 day trips? What other factor would you need to take into account?

johnE wrote:
@Layne, I see Paradiski as two seperate resorts with a lift between them. Whereas I see Val d'Isere and the 3 vallies as single resorts with different accommodation bases.

Sure but the question would be why?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Well surely that is wholly dependent on whether you are doing in excess of two 9 day trips? What other factor would you need to take into account?

Well, I haven't planned any trips yet. Late season trips will depend entirly on the weather so there is a big probabilistics element here. I may or may not go before the Easter holidays but Easter itself looks just too late. At 21 euros a day for the summer 3 days summer use may swing it.

The trip ideas are :
Christmas about 8 days. If the New Year week is too busy come home earlier
End of Jan/Early Feb probably 8 or 9 days, but as yet not sure. It depends on who else wants to come.
End of March/Early April - far too far ahead to be planning anything
Easter - may go and go climbing instead.

To me October is too early to be planning ski trips but the ticket must be bought soon to get the 20% discount

Quote:

Well you get the lift over to La Plagne and stay there all day and come back in the evening just as you would get the bus to La Rosiere. Would you consider La Rosiere and Les Arcs as one ski resort?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
johnE wrote:
Layne wrote:

Well, I haven't planned any trips yet. Late season trips will depend entirly on the weather so there is a big probabilistics element here. I may or may not go before the Easter holidays but Easter itself looks just too late. At 21 euros a day for the summer 3 days summer use may swing it.

The trip ideas are :
Christmas about 8 days. If the New Year week is too busy come home earlier
End of Jan/Early Feb probably 8 or 9 days, but as yet not sure. It depends on who else wants to come.
End of March/Early April - far too far ahead to be planning anything
Easter - may go and go climbing instead.

To me October is too early to be planning ski trips but the ticket must be bought soon to get the 20% discount

But the balance of probabilities is you will do 18 days over the season right? Say a 80% shout? That's what I'd be thinking. If there is a more than 20% you won't do that I'd probably skip it.

Also, historically, what have you done?

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 4-10-18 11:14; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
With regards the Paradiski pass, I think they're are trying different incentives to get people to buy into it - and as I have probably said before (me? repeating?) it's down to location.

Take your typical 1 week a year British visitor, with 6 days of skiing. You get one day included over 'the other side' on the bog standard pass. If you want to buy a second day, the price differential between buying the more expensive off the bat, and a one day extension pass is but a few euros. A safe bet to wait until you get there, to make that call.

And if you want a third or even 4th day, you've probably booked the wrong resort*.
Both have more than sufficient for a full week, whether it's piste munching or offpiste options. If you think you have covered all the options in either of the domains in 3 days, then (a) fair enough but (b) you probably haven't.

As above, the Paradiski did let you through the ski-school gate at the Varet. Meh. If they are introducing other 'fast track' options then that may be a reason to consider it, but it would have to be the right lifts, at the right times, to make a big difference. Arcabulle, TransArc or Vagere at peak weeks, at peak times (e.g. start of skischool) on the Arcs side might be a thought. But then again, other options are always available - it is what makes the domain so attractive - there are few 'must catch' lift bottlenecks.

*I will concede that Peisey /Montchavin people who have to return home for ski-school pickups might be better off with a dual pass, allowing them to explore both sides whilst still remaining within touching distance of base.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
johnE wrote:
Well you get the lift over to La Plagne and stay there all day and come back in the evening just as you would get the bus to La Rosiere. Would you consider La Rosiere and Les Arcs as one ski resort?

But people do that in Espace Killy or Le Trois Vallees?

Also sometimes I spent some time on one side and sometime on the other. It's really not the same as bussing somewhere else. Not for me anyway.

Although thinking about it, what about Chamonix. People view that as one ski area even though you have to bus it to different sectors.

Anyway for me I see Paradiski as one ski area. It would be diminished, for me, if there two separate areas, only accessible by road. And indeed that is why of the reasons I don't ski Chamonix much.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Also, historically, what have you done?

Lots and lots of different things. Last year I even bought a one day local area pass (ie 1600/1800 only). Sadly I am not a man of habit.

Iv'e just had a look and the Nivernalp bennefits are now starting to add more complexity to the calculations. What did Dilbert call them "confusopilies"
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
johnE wrote:
Sadly I am not a man of habit.

In that case I would say the season pass isn't for you wink Toofy Grin snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
johnE wrote:
@Spin Doctor, You have modest ambitions. You can get to Champagny from 1800 very easily for an early lunch (if the resaurants are open that early). The Challenge my son keeps posing for me is to do the Bellecotte, Champagney, Montelbart, the Auigulle Rouge, Villaroger and Les Grange in one day. Suggestion for the order any route to be taken welcome. If I can get the fastest possible times for each potential leg eg Montelbart to Les Grange I will enter it into some code I have to solve the travelling salesman problem in Matlab and see where I get to (in theory and, hopefully, later in practice)
Sounds like a good challenge... I was thinking over to Champagny, up the Bellecotte and back to Villaroger and home but yours sounds better.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Layne wrote:

johnE wrote:

For me, the difference is the single point of connection. Going from Les Arcs to La Plagne is a conscious decision, while if you're skiing in the 3Vs you can find yourself at the top of the ridge between valleys with multiple routes to a specific location using different valleys. If spending a week in the 3Vs I would always get the full area pass, while I wouldn't necessarily pay for a Paradiski pass for a one week holiday.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
3V has approx 600km of pistes roughly split 3 ways.

Paradiski 425km roughly split 2 ways.

Espace Killy 300km roughly split 2 ways.

PDS is 650km, no idea how it divides up.

Seems to me the only difference is the "single point of connection" which I accept as a mental divide.
snow report
Put it another way, for an extra 35 Euros on a 6 day pass you get full access to twice the size of ski area. Which I'll grant if are a low mileage skier or staying in Villaroger/Champagny isn't necessarily a winner. But then you could say that about 3V/Killy. I just love lots of different parts of each area and as I go there a lot helps to keep things fresh. Plus we usually do 7/8 days.
snow conditions
Layne wrote:
PI just love lots of different parts of each area and as I go there a lot helps to keep things fresh.

Agreed. I'll be there for most of the season and the Paradiski pass is a no-brainer.
snow conditions
Layne wrote:
PDS is 650km, no idea how it divides up.
With confusion, if your navigation skills are as 'good' as mine are.
latest report
A reminder to all the folk looking to buy discounted holiday lift pass. The 10% discount finishes at the end of October. For those looking at the 20% discounted season pass, this finishes at end of November so still plenty of time.

Noting the chat above. If you are based in Peisey Vallandry it makes sense to get the Paradiski pass as it is only a few minutes across to the La Plagne side and gives you loads more options for where to ski and avoid the crowds. If you are based in Arc 2000 valley or other stations then it depends on your level. One day included now (no more discovery pass) with all weekly passes is often enough for many people. But if you like to do high milage in a week then the Paradiski pass is worth the extra. For season passes, i cannot understand why anyone would limit themselves to only half the ski area for a whole season. The full pass with the saving for early purchase it well worth the money. If you are also out in the summer then the saving makes it almost the same as the Les Arcs only season pass. Well worth the extra.

Now that the Multi resort season pass is finished. Season pass holders might want to think about sk a la carte as a top up. I did the maths and it saves quite a bit if you use it for 9 days in other places or 21 days if you go really crazy.

Roll on the winter. The recent snow has already gone, but more is coming!,
snow conditions
Where is this ‘more’ you speak of?
snow report
Quite a bit to do yet on the Comborciere installation - lot of groundworks for the new pistes in progress at the moment, with much of the lift laid out on the ground.

ski holidays
@Alastair, thanks for the photo. I've been trying to work out how they'd put a red piste down there, looks like it's been cut as a zig-zag to one side of the black? That's a lot of earthworks.
snow conditions
@rob@rar, fair few trees seem to have paid the price!
ski holidays
I guess this would be as good a place as any to ask which Arc village would be best to stay in if you’re wanting to have a day or two outing to Tignes/Val D - a car would be necessary obviously.
Is it a case of the higher the village the longer the drive down to the valley? Or are there different roads?
Thanks in advance.
snow conditions
@sbooker, Villaroger
latest report
@sbooker, as Rob Mackley said, Villaroger is a shorter journey, perhaps 35 minutes? I often drive from my place in Arc 1800 up to Tignes or Val d'Isere and it's typically about 60 minutes if the traffic is flowing up the Tarentaise valley as normal.

If you don't have a car it is possible to make the day trip, taking the funicular down to Bourg St Maurice and then the bus up to Tignes or Val. If you do this option staying in Arc 1600 is probably the best option, for ease of access to the funicular. Having a car much more convenient though.
snow report
Thank you. This would be a late season (March) thing for me so I’m assuming Villaroger would not be ideal at that time?
One hour from 1800 sounds reasonable. Just another few minutes if staying in 1950/2000?
ski holidays
sbooker wrote:
Just another few minutes if staying in 1950/2000?
No, I'd add another 20-25 minutes on top of that. Arc 1950 is not on the same side of the hill as Arc 1800 just slightly higher up, it's on the other side of a big ridge in a different valley. Quite some distance by car (much quicker on skis).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sbooker wrote:
This would be a late season (March) thing for me so I’m assuming Villaroger would not be ideal at that time?
In a typical season Villaroger should be fine in March, especially as this summer they added some more snow cannons on the piste to the village. You'd probably be skiing away from the village the majority of your time if you stayed there as most of the ski domain is in another valley, over a ridge or two, so your actual location is maybe not so important (although there is some mighty fine terrain directly above Villaroger, on and off piste).
latest report
How do i get a season pass for 670.5? Would i need to be a resident?
snow conditions
Just seen a video on Les Arc radio showing the new Club Med building in 1600 looks in the landscape. It's getting a right slating.

Wonder what sort of clientelle use Club Med. All a bit of an unknown to me, which probably means it's high end!
latest report
Layne wrote:
It's getting a right slating.
Why is it getting a slating? I saw the video and thought it was a considerable improvement on a lot of the older large-scale buildings across the resort. Sure, I'd have preferred a couple of dozen chocolate-box style chalets, but the realities of commerce mean that was never on the cards. What was the criticism of the Club Med building?
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
Layne wrote:
It's getting a right slating.
Why is it getting a slating? I saw the video and thought it was a considerable improvement on a lot of the older large-scale buildings across the resort. Sure, I'd have preferred a couple of dozen chocolate-box style chalets, but the realities of commerce mean that was never on the cards. What was the criticism of the Club Med building?

They think the building is ugly and does not sit in the landscape well.

Also someone suggested it will do nothing for local traders as the building is self sufficient.

Some people questioning the impact of 1400 beds on lift queues and business of the piste.

Seems to be compared to a ship - bit like Aime La Plagne.

Spoils the views and the tranquility of the area.

"A shame. It reminds me of the shining movie".
ski holidays
It's on the "R'les Arcs la radio station" facebook page.
snow report
@Layne, thanks.
ski holidays
@sbooker,

It all depends on what your looking for ,as @rob@rar, says the terrain above Villaroger is fantastic .
How about this for an idea , 6 day holiday in Villaroger , generally more accommodation for money wise , but quiet , 3 days skiing in Lea Arcs , one day Tignes/Val 20 mins away if access via Les Brev, one day Ste Foy 15 mins away and a day out in La Rosiere for lunch in Italy 35 mins away . All of this is doable realitivly easily from Villaroger and there are lift pass agreements between the stations .

The runs to Villaroger will still be open in March .
latest report
@Rob Mackley, that's a fine plan.

@sbooker if you were looking for a base in Villaroger this is a good option. No connection with the company other than as a happy customer, and they are a nice bunch of people.
ski holidays
Rob Mackley wrote:
... there are lift pass agreements between the stations.
It's been several years since I did a day trip to St Foy or La Rosierefrom Les Arcs. Can you still get discounts on day tickets in those resorts if you have a Les Arcs or Paradiski pass??
snow report
@Layne,

I dunno who'd use Club Med (CM) - Maybe Snowheads like me?

High end - not necessarily depends which CM you choose and what if any extras you pick. It's never going to be as cheap as waiting for a last minute deal or DIY. But it is fully inclusive and they really do mean fully inclusive - 4 meals a day, drinks, lift pass, lessons (OK with ESF) etc etc

Of course the "fully inclusive" bit will be why the "local traders" traders won't like it.

Snowtrack
snow conditions
skitrack wrote:
Of course the "fully inclusive" bit will be why the "local traders" traders won't like it.
In peak season fading a place to eat lunch on the hill can be a challenge as many places are rammed. If Club Med guests head back to their hotel for lunch that's going to help with capacity issues in the mountain restaurants. Can non-guests use Club Med restaurants at lunch time?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy