Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Glueless Skins debate

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
In the past on here there have been various pros and cons re glueless skins.

I do have glueless skins for my Scott 95's and have never had a problem, but there again that's probably because I only really use these in Spring touring conditions.

I have seen people encounter issues with glueless skins when temps are cold, minus 10 and more, when skinning deep powder and it really has been an issue for them.

Proponents of glueless skins may well have never been in cold temps which might cause issues and hence will not acknowledge there's an issue.

So as further testament to the fact that there is an issue I was just going through the ski touring checklist of gear to take to Siberia

http://skiinginsiberia.com/skitouring/luzhba/ and the gear tab

And look what they say about glueless skins !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clothing:

Heavy/mid weight socks compatible with your footwear - 2-3 pairs.
Base Layer Top and Bottom, warm – 2 pieces each.
Mid-Insulation Layer Top - Polartec 100 or analog.
Mid-Insulation Layer Bottom – Polartec/Powerstretch pants or analog.
Warm jacket – Synthetic or down.
Weather Layer Top - Gore-Tex/Softshell or other waterproof breathable jacket.
Weather Layer Pants - Gore-Tex/Softshell or other waterproof breathable pants.
Down jacket warm to minus 25-30°C.
Hats (warm and light).
Light gloves
Insulated gloves
Insulated mittens
High snow boots
Slippers for the lodge

Ski gear:

Skis or Splitboard. We recommend skis 110mm underfoot or wider.
Skins. Glue should be in good condition, renew if necessary. Tail clips strongly recommended. No glueless skins, please, it does't work with low temperatures!
Touring Boots
Telescopic Poles
Ski helmet
Binding/Boot/Pole/Skin Repair Kit - tools and parts to fix your personal gear

Avalanche gear:

Transceiver (two antenna minimum), extra batteries.
Probe
Shovel

Personal equipment:

Backpack, 25-30 litres.
Personal First Aid kit (blister kit, your personal medications)
Thermos or insulated flask, 1L. Good idea to have both.
Sunglasses (CE rated 3 or 4)
Ski goggles, plus extra pair.
Headlamp, extra batteries.
Sun/Cold and Lip Cream (factor 30+).
Personal toiletries, towel.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
yep, given the fact thats it really is quiet remote, important to get it right I think.

Вспомните разговорную книгу тоже ..
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
it's actually the reverse. glue will go hard at low temps whereas glueless skins work via suction. As this is advice for punters they'll probably spray your skins with glue in the hut and put gaffer tape on the tails as a preventative measure. guides don't want to be faffing with a bunch of billies with bad kit in the backcountry.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not sure what your point is weathercam? but i agree with you on the glueless temperature limitations
I have a little crush on my whizz's...for European yomps but not tooo wet.
I have had complete failure with them in Canada and only gaffer saved me from having a very short walk up Rogers pass with the Canadians smirking at the euros on a day out....still it's very unusual for my skins to get unstuck before myself, horses for courses I guess.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've heard from various sources that Colltex Whizzz skins don't work well below minus 10 Deg C. Not sure this is the case for all non-traditional skins though.

There appears to be three main types of climbing skin adhesion

1. Traditional glue - normal glue where in a strong wind you can give yourself a brazilian head wax.
2. Hybrid Glue or Non-glue (e.g. Contour Hybrid, Colltex Whizzz)
3. Glueless (e.g. Gecko, Colltex Combin)

I've been running Contour Hybrid on my wider set of touring skis and have had no problems so far but have not tested them extensively in Sub -10 conditions. Contours advertising blurb states that they are specifically designed to also cope with extremely cold temps, time will tell. The outdoor shop did say to make sure the skin contact surface was dry especially when putting the skins on numerous times during the same ski tour.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
DB wrote:
The outdoor shop did say to make sure the skin contact surface was dry especially when putting the skins on numerous times during the same ski tour.

I think this is the key point, when it's blowing a hooley, skins flapping round, cold hands etc, it's nigh on impossible to keep the skins dry, whereas a traditional glued skin will still work........
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@DB, I've found Contour Hybrid to great. (To be clear, I have Black Crows Pellis, which is Contour Hybrid with BC branding). They've had at least 70 days use over the past 3 seasons, including several days with multiple laps (so putting potentially wet skins on wet/ cold bases), and some very cold days around -15 (and colder at the summit). I've yet to find conditions when the glue is problematic (touch wood!). They're far more reliable IME than Black Diamond glue. And the wash-to-refresh approach is great.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy